HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
Liability Insurance Cost

Just learning this site and brand new to RC. I will join a RC club tonight, but would still like some "Infoe" on Insurance as I plan to fly in other places be-sides the clubs' field. I would like to know the cost of good liability insurance in the Midwest United States. I will not Buzz "Mainstreet" but will fly in area ball parks from time to time. There are houses whith in range with windows and people- I hate that. Thank You JG
John Gillespie is offline Find More Posts by John Gillespie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:45 PM
Louisville, Ky
Joined Jan 2009
225 Posts
I know we all should, but im guessing more of us parkflyers than not, don't have insurance. Being a parkflyer means under 2 pounds and max 60mph. You can get coverage through AMA for parkflyers for $29.99 with $500,000 liability coverage. Anything heavier or faster technically should only be flown at club fields.
lehrscott4 is offline Find More Posts by lehrscott4
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:48 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehrscott4 View Post
technically should only be flown at club fields.
disagreeeee, It's sad the ama is the only place for this type of insurance I fly gliders over 2lbs and thinking about pulling out of AMA. $85 a year to fly and flying season is pretty short here. (3months) ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN AMA TO FLY. I am gathering a number of open developers land parks and fields to fly in, I have a pretty good list so far thanks to google earth. And best of all no field being closed or club jesters to deal with or any of that bs.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Last edited by outngo; Aug 04, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:52 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
There's not many companies that will help you out with "insurance" so to speak with radio control models. To the vast majority of non RC folk, they are just toys.

AMA is really the only organization in the USA that has been willing enough to step in if an incident occurs, but only if you are following the rules they have set.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:00 PM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Since this thread is already about insurance, I have a couple of questions.

I don't know if I'll join a club or not, but I may join the AMA for the insurance., does anyone know of an online source for the policy that is included with the AMA membership? I'd like to read it if possible.

Also, does anyone know of any reliable accounts of people using the AMA insurance? I was just wondering if the insurance really covers you, or if there were still out of pocket expenses.
stburr91 is offline Find More Posts by stburr91
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:13 PM
No,no,no a MUSIC gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,665 Posts
I think I remember checking with Geico and their home owner or renter's policies will cover an rc accident in a public place. Cheap.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:15 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Since this thread is already about insurance, I have a couple of questions.

I don't know if I'll join a club or not, but I may join the AMA for the insurance., does anyone know of an online source for the policy that is included with the AMA membership? I'd like to read it if possible.

Also, does anyone know of any reliable accounts of people using the AMA insurance? I was just wondering if the insurance really covers you, or if there were still out of pocket expenses.
Many bag on the AMA for any and all reasons. Personally I think the organization does so much more behind the scenes to ensure we can keep the PRIVILAGE of flying RC in the post 911 world it's worth the money.

Here is a link to a basic breakdown of the coverage. From what I understand any insurance you already have (homeowners or renters) will cover damages caused by you before the AMA's coverage kicks in. I may be wrong. Honestly I don't read the fine print for the insurance. I spend the 58 bucks a year to support the AMA and get the magazine.

As far as them actually paying out, I don't have any exeriance with this but I know there is a breakdown in the magazine about expenditures. I couldn't find anything on their site about payouts.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer.aspx
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:42 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,596 Posts
And if anyone is in doubt about whether they need insurance, there have been a couple of instances near where I live in the past month where models have crashed and set fire to fields of ripe wheat. One, I believe, was a turbine model, but the other was allegedly a glow model where fuel ignited on a hot exhaust. The other obvious risk is lipos which might vent and flame in a crash.

So, we're not just thinking about the risk of hitting and injuring someone, but property, crop, and other damage as well.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 05, 2010, 01:44 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
As Mike posted, AMA insurance is secondary if you have homeowners insurance.
I belong to the AMA, heck the membership fee is tax deductible so it's really no cost.

Something you need to consider also is the landowner. If you are on his property legally and something happens, he's going to be named in the suit. Just the way this sue happy world is. Heck he could even name you in a counter suit.

I own my own land, with a flying field. I had my attorney tell me if I posted "NO TRESPASSING" signs I would open myself up to being sued by anyone hurt on the property. Yep even if they trespassed. By posting the property I was posting notice of a "possible" unsafe condition known to me.

I ended up having a non-profit corporation formed that owns the land. That way it isolates it from me. They can sue the corp, but it has no assets, so more power to em.

I tell the guys who fly there that I have Kubota Insurance.
"You get hurt or die, I take the Kubota and bury your butt, take your stuff, and deny I ever knew you."
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:49 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CT, Litchfield
Joined Nov 2005
25,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Many bag on the AMA for any and all reasons. Personally I think the organization does so much more behind the scenes to ensure we can keep the PRIVILAGE of flying RC in the post 911 world it's worth the money.
That sure is the truth about that. The AMA does so much for our sport but it is certainly under appreciated and beat up way too much.

About AMA's liability coverage. AMA's liability insurance will cover you even when you are not flying at a chartered club's field. See the bottom of the second page of 500J: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/500-j.pdf

The liability insurance is secondary, but will pay the deductible on your Home Owner's insurance if you have it. If you don't have HO, then it is primary.

I just looked this up the other day when someone mentioned it. Here is a PDF on insurance payouts.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/500-q.pdf

And if it were me, I would spend the extra $29 and go for the Open membership. The free magazine that comes each month is well worth the admission fee. Plus you get more insurance and if you decide to join a club, you won't have any problems. Some clubs will not accept the PP membership due to the limited insurance of the PP membership.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:08 AM
No,no,no a MUSIC gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,665 Posts
It never hurts to keep an AMA and club membership in your wallet. Great for in case you loose your private field. You can always fly at the club until you find another isolated place.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post

AMA is really the only organization in the USA that has been willing enough to step in if an incident occurs, but only if you are following the rules they have set.
AMA will step in and MAYBE cover you, but you must go through your homeowner's insurance first. After they pay the maximum, then AMA takes over the rest of the claim, if they decide to pay.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:35 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
A case where AMA helped out a fellow modeler happened a few years back. He had loaded all of his gear in his truck, which was a brand new 06 Toyota Tacoma, and was hauling off to get home. About halfway there he heard/saw a rather large explosion in the back of his truck, and thought it was someone throwing fireworks.

As it turns out, somehow his fuel pump got switched on, and had overheated, igniting his fuel, which blew all over his plane, igniting nearly everything in the truck bed. Everything was a total loss, and AMA helped out and sent him a check for $1000, which helped get him right back into the hobby.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:05 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CT, Litchfield
Joined Nov 2005
25,029 Posts
Quote:
A case where AMA helped out a fellow modeler happened a few years back. He had loaded all of his gear in his truck, which was a brand new 06 Toyota Tacoma, and was hauling off to get home. About halfway there he heard/saw a rather large explosion in the back of his truck, and thought it was someone throwing fireworks.

As it turns out, somehow his fuel pump got switched on, and had overheated, igniting his fuel, which blew all over his plane, igniting nearly everything in the truck bed. Everything was a total loss, and AMA helped out and sent him a check for $1000, which helped get him right back into the hobby.
Wow, that sucks, but glad to see the AMA helped out with some cash. Which seems to be the norm from what I have seen.

Thanks for sharing that.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:42 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:

Interesting, the insurance here provided by nzmaa is liability only. It might cover damage to your truck but does not cover your equipment.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ