HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotony View Post
Hi GBX,
I too have spent hours researching the Fun Cub and have finally pressed the "Buy Now" button for the kit.
One final decision to be made is the motor/ESC combination.
I am seriously looking at the HACKER A30 products.

Did you find that this fitted into the stock Fun Cub nose without modification to the fuselage?
Did you have to reverse the motor shaft (assuming that this is possible with the Hacker A30)?

On You Tube there is a posting by kmichailidis where he uses a Hacker A30 14L V2 with a 13"x6.5" prop and a Robbe 40A speed Controller.
Any reason why you chose the A30-16, and what was the full specification of this motor? What speed controller have you chosen?

Apologies for bombarding you with so many questions but any information gratefully received, in particular my question regarding how easy/difficult was it to put the A30 motor into the fuselage,
If you go with Hacker (I did - the A30-28S V2 - very happy with it) you might want to go with their own ESC. Don't try a Turnigy Plush. It will almost certainly not work properly. On mine any quick application of full throttle resulted in a horrible squeal and loss of power until the throttle was reduce and applied more slowly. Adjusting timing did not help. The Hacker ESCs are supposed to be made by ZTW who makes a number of other high end ESCs. They are available under the ZTW name from Quantum Hobbies at pretty reasonable prices. I have not tried one on my Funcub, but I have one and will.

BTW, great service from Quantum! My order was shipped within and hour or less!
http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW_Brus...rols_s/370.htm

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Aug 06, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:22 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Gordks - It's a possibility (I'm by no means on the cutting edge of PC technology!) and I didn't think it detracted from the video at all, I was just trying to understand the movement, whether it was in the mount, the recording, or my playback? Also in the first video I didn't see it at all and the second it did (I believe he reposted it) and now I don't see it. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical, I was just a little baffled! Regards all! ~ Robin
Hi Robin. From what Doug posted in response I am pretty sure that it was not your machine at all. I probably just didn't see the one that Youtube 'stabilized' before Doug replaced it. Since you no longer see the problem either that is almost a guarantee!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Aug 06, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:29 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,600 Posts
dome78 - Your last video is one of my all time favorite FunCub videos, now it has company! You have a gift my friend! Really enjoy your work and look forward to more! Was that shot out at RSA?

Gordks - Yea, mystrey solved! I actually download most FunCub videos into a 'collection' and actually saved both versions! I don't know why I didn't think of it - I tried that feature once myself on You Tube and wasn't happy with the result either!

Take care guys! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Aug 06, 2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: wording - added question
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Thanks Gary. Those other Fun Cubs belong to Kevin and Dan - part of the evening crowd at Rancho San Antionio. There are two more Fun Cub owners that fly also in the evenings but no Jason. Who knows how many more there are in the morning and lunch time crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Wow!

Best video I've seen yet and there have been some great ones!

Was one of the pilots Jason perhaps?

Cheers!

Gary
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
MRN
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2002
169 Posts
Bay Area flyers,
We should have a Fun Cub gathering sometime to see how many we can get together in one location.
Mike
MRN is offline Find More Posts by MRN
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Quote:
dome78 - Your last video is one of my all time favorite FunCub videos, now it has company! You have a gift my friend! Really enjoy your work and look forward to more! Was that shot out at RSA?
Yes, it is at RSA. You should stop by one day. As I said before the terrain there really encourages you to get creative with the FC.

Quote:
Gordks - Yea, mystrey solved! I actually download most FunCub videos into a 'collection' and actually saved both versions! I don't know why I didn't think of it - I tried that feature once myself on You Tube and wasn't happy with the result either!
I also tried that feature on YouTube with the described symptoms. The anti-shake is terrible when the video has both moving and stationary objects (like the cowl of an airplane) because it will make moving objects stable and stationary objects moving. The camera mount was perfectly fixed to the airframe but after the anti-shake treatment it looked like the cam was wobbling on the plane (don't expect anything epic, this was just a technical demo):

Baylands_antishake.MP4 (2 min 37 sec)
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,967 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have had my FunCub for a few days now (maiden was last Friday) and it is a blast just as I expected Spot landings, STOL landings, STOL takeoffs whatever it is very contagious! Even the old timers at my club like it. I am using the HeadsUpRC recommended setup: 970kv Emax GT2812/10 motor, 40A ESC with 3A UBEC, 2200mah 40C 3S, SG90 servos for the wing and MG90s for the tail. With a 11X5.5 prop I can just hold a hover.

My question - is there any chance I can tow a 60 ounce (1.7 kg) scale Discus glider if I use a 12X6? I have my doubts considering the guys in the 50 oz. Cularis towing video were on a 4S. If the Discus is out of the question, is there a 35mm outrunner out there that can get the glider into the air?

Thanks! I took some cool video and will upload it later.

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:09 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,600 Posts
dome78 - Excellent example of what we saw in Doug's video (this was a little more drastic).
I'll definitely get down there once my 'project' get's done! I'm considering a motor upgrade to go with her new look, what are you using in your ship?

All - I'm not looking for 'crazy' power - but something with a bit more punch than the stock set up. I'm probably going to come out a little on the heavy side due to the boxed in front end, the articulated landing gear, and 'other' mods. I was looking at the Turnigy G-15 and O.S. OMA-3815-1000 but I suspect those are probably more towards the 'crazy' power side?

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Aug 07, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:21 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Hi guys,

New Fun Cub pilot checking in.

The kits were backordered with about a 2-month waiting list where I'm at, but I managed to find just one (at a slight premium) and grabbed it. That was fine, but there were no power units anywhere, so I had the guys at the hobby shop recommend alternative components. They suggested:

* Hyperion HP-ZS2213-18 motor.
* Tamazo Pro.C-S35 ESC (a 35A ESC).
* APC 10 x 4.7SF propellor.

The prop seemed rather small compared to the standard type, but I figured they knew what they were talking about and went ahead. The motor didn't fit the standard plastic motor mount, so I ended up fashioning one out of aluminum.

I'm using 3S 2200mA batteries.

So ... I maidened the plane this last weekend, expecting it to be totally underpowered, but was surprised to find that it performed very well. So far ... (haven't done any wild aerobatics yet). But for just plain flying around it was great!

More to come ... hopefully.

Cheers all.

EDIT: Some very impressive videos in this thread. Nice work!
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Last edited by FunPilot; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:50 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I have a motor with a 4mm shaft and I keep busting the freaking shafts on SOFT nose overs. I think I have gone through 4 shafts, luckily I have bought extras.

I will be getting a bigger motor here soon!

Flew the fun cub last night and it is such a great plane, rolls are my only complaint. Looks like a wounded duck during a roll. I need to setup differenttial to see how if that helps. Right now my ailerons are on a Y harness.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
If you go with Hacker (I did - the A30-28S V2 - very happy with it) you might want to go with their own ESC. Don't try a Turnigy Plush. It will almost certainly not work properly. On mine any quick application of full throttle resulted in a horrible squeal and loss of power until the throttle was reduce and applied more slowly. Adjusting timing did not help. The Hacker ESCs are supposed to be made by ZTW who makes a number of other high end ESCs. They are available under the ZTW name from Quantum Hobbies at pretty reasonable prices. I have not tried one on my Funcub, but I have one and will.

BTW, great service from Quantum! My order was shipped within and hour or less!
http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW_Brus...rols_s/370.htm

Gord
GORD,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I shall check out the Hacker speed controllers,
Tony
aerotony is online now Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
205 Posts
Fun Cub

Hi All,
Still waiting for delivery of my Fun Cub kit .

One inquiry......................is it possible to build this as a two piece wing?
aerotony is online now Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:31 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,220 Posts
aerotony; Yes it is possible, in fact the build manual is written with a two piece wing in mind.

/J
P.S.
Build manual to wet your appetite. -> http://www.multiplexusa.com/files/FunCubManual.pdf
D.S
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I have a motor with a 4mm shaft and I keep busting the freaking shafts on SOFT nose overs. I think I have gone through 4 shafts, luckily I have bought extras.

I will be getting a bigger motor here soon!

Flew the fun cub last night and it is such a great plane, rolls are my only complaint. Looks like a wounded duck during a roll. I need to setup differenttial to see how if that helps. Right now my ailerons are on a Y harness.
I have 40% diff in mine and it is not much better. Maybe a little less wounded duck. Have to use a lot of rudder, elevator and altitude with rolls.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
It's a highwing plane. it's not a Extra 300.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim