HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
537 Posts
Discussion
lipos' for rx

I see a lot of posts from folks who power their rxs' seperately and they always use Nimh or 123 batts!
Is there a reason I don't see anyone using lipos? Is it the expense or are they just not suited for the task?
Many Thanx,
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,199 Posts
It's because if you use a LiPo you need HV servos which are getting more common but still cost more. Or you have to use a BEC to drop the voltage which is just another thing that could fail on you.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,835 Posts
Some are simply more familiar/comfortable with the Round shaped cells.
No more, no less.
Becs are inexpensive and reliable, also weigh so little that it's a non issue.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Joined May 2014
114 Posts
You can store NiMH cells fully charged for weeks without them degrading excessively the way LiPo cells do. The low self discharge NiMH stuff that appeared a few years ago will hold more than 80% charge after a full year in storage. For something low draw like a receiver, it's nice to be able to top it up as needed and keep it fully charged all the time.

Personally I just use the BEC to power my gear from the main LiPo and haven't ever had a problem. I'm not doing anything exotic though.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S