HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2013, 02:45 PM
Living to Build'em and Fly'em.
Joined Jul 2011
62 Posts
Question
Separating the fuselage from the first side of a new mold

Is it a bad idea to separate the plug from the first side of the mold to clean up the first side?
I'm cleaning up the clay used to seal the parting board. I've noticed that there are a few areas that i cant really get to with the plug still in it. But, as this is my first attempt at making a mold, I'm not sure if I should pull the plug or not.

Haven't read anything on any of the 100's of threads/posts that I've read.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, since the surface isn't perfectly smooth.... can I soft sand with 800 grit to polish off the few locations that need it?
Mr.GFC is offline Find More Posts by Mr.GFC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2013, 07:18 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
The danger is damaging the plug upon removal (common occurance) or not being able to fully seat the plug back into the first mold half (hard to notice and makes an incorrect mold).
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old May 03, 2013, 08:43 PM
Living to Build'em and Fly'em.
Joined Jul 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
The danger is damaging the plug upon removal (common occurance) or not being able to fully seat the plug back into the first mold half (hard to notice and makes an incorrect mold).
Thanks. I guess it have to do... with the few flaws it has then. Nothing major. Just seams where the clay wasn't even or had caught something that i didn't see before i started the gelcoat.
Mr.GFC is offline Find More Posts by Mr.GFC