HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2013, 03:16 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,898 Posts
Joe Hahn has his flying now with a Himax 3522-0700 with a 12-7 on 3 cells, with good results. That setup does not max out that motor's capabilities.

There are a number of extensive threads that discuss power setups for the 2-meter Chrysalis. Here's a couple of them:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r+power+system

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r+power+system
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2009
37 Posts
Thanks for the reply Don, that is helpful. Lots of threads on the Chrysalis and it's tough to weed through them all. Might be good to put a paper in the kit on systems recommended although ti certainly would need to be maintained for current offerings.
Randy Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,898 Posts
Right now I'm so busy (80-90 hours per week including holidays) with my day job that I'm having trouble remembering what day of the week it is. However, I'm hoping that will settle down soon. Of course I've been hoping that for quite a while.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:29 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
Someone take responsibility for summarizing Chrysalis motor information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds View Post
Thanks for the reply Don, that is helpful. Lots of threads on the Chrysalis and it's tough to weed through them all. Might be good to put a paper in the kit on systems recommended although ti certainly would need to be maintained for current offerings.
Perhaps the owner of one of the Chrysalis motor threads could edit and maintain the first posting of their thread to include a summary of the Chrysalis motor information that is found in the various RCGroups threads. The information could be in two groups: 1.) Suggested Setups and 2.) Tested Setups. Each entry in the lists could be as simple as a link to the appropriate web page and the specific post number. The entries in each category could be in order of the date of their original posting so it would be obvious which information was the most current.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Nov 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,898 Posts
Part of the problem is that everyone seems to want something different in what they want from their power system. Trying to summarize all of that with enough detail to help someone make an informed choice will take a lot more than a table. More like a book. Or a few large threads on RC Groups.
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:11 PM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2007
98 Posts
Chrysalis VS Radian

Hi all: I've been meaning to post a blurb as to how happy I am with my new Chrysalis. Not hard to build, just needed to keep at it to get it done. As an old free flight guy I have a lot of modeling experience. Came over to R/C gliders to save driving to far away fields and chasing planes. Could not seem to get the hang of winch launching after scratch building from plans a GL, Paragon, Gemini, and Bot. This new electric stuff with a CAM is a delight to fly. Got my arm twisted to buy a Radian and was enjoying it despite all of it's short comings. If it were not for Paul Naton's videos and advice from many fellow club members I doubt that I would have got much good from the 2 Radians I've gone thru. I'm still a builder at heart and detest Styrofoam ARF's. At best they get newbies in the air quickly without much build time, I was hoping that the Chrysalis would be a better flyer than the Radian. After my first flight with it I asked fellow club members if anyone was interested in a Radian with all the modifications. The two planes cannot even begin to be compared. I was getting ready to put flaps on the Radian but doubt I will waste my time. The only way I would keep flying a Radian is for a Radian only event. MISTAKES I made: I extended the nose by an inch before I knew what motor I was going to put in. That new Glider drive 950 KV from hobby king is sweet with a 12-8.5 prop drawing 32 amps. Cam shuts off at about 20 seconds when reaching 200 meters. That motor is a touch over 5 oz. and with the nose extended I had to move my servos about an inch back to allow my battery to be put further back. No lead anywhere, just move the battery slightly to achieve the recommended CG. I put the lightning holes in the V-tail which creates a weak stab prone to breakage when you cart wheel a landing. Listen to Don, Don't put them in. I thought the 3pc wing kit was overpriced until I realized how much engineering went into those compound angles. Mine fit perfectly. All in all this is the best sailplane I've had to date and I'm having a ball. Now all the guys in the club want one too. Hats off to Don and Joe for keeping the price so reasonable on this great design. When are you coming out with a 2.5 or 3 meter ? These old eyes of mine are not getting any better. Thermals to all, Wayne
enyaws is offline Find More Posts by enyaws
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,898 Posts
Wayne, thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the 3 piece option is expensive, and it did take quite a bit of engineering, but the big driver there is that birch ply is much more difficult to cut than lite ply, basswood or balsa. The 5 plies of harder wood also have four layers of glue (twice as much as lite ply), which generates a lot of smoke, which attenuates the laser beam. The result is very slow cutting speeds, and on a CNC machine like a laser cutter, time is money.

The 3 meter has been in the works for a long time now, but life and my day job keep getting in the way. The problem with a three meter is that we MUST start with the assumption that the pure sailplane version will get winch-launched, which means enough wing strength to handle 300 pounds of winch line tension, but in order to not compromise performance, we still have to do that with a thin wing. The other problem is that with the cost of carbon fiber, we can't just make the spars out of that, or it won't fit the price point we're shooting for. The only carbon in the entire airplane is the joiner rods for the wing (which has to be a multi-piece wing in its stock form, nobody has room in their car for a one-piece 3 meter wing). Pretty tough engineering challenge on several fronts. However, we figured it all out, and now I just have to finish the prototype and we can start on flight testing.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 03:24 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,495 Posts
Great Story Wayne! Thanks!I have completed a maneuver of grabbing one of (3) baby Chrysalii, As I'm frustrated with 'findin' the electronics for what i started= i did not realize that getting my balsa factory set up was a job within itself! Thanks for update Don!
johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 04:54 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,775 Posts
Also good to hear anything about the Glider Drive motors. I've been thinking of trying one myself.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR