HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
EDF Junkie
FoamJunkE's Avatar
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
What was the CG for your MIG Don? Im looking to start the build on mine pretty soon.. I really like your idea with the battery tray. Im currently working on my second F86 (really liked my first one, and thanx to you my CG was perfect) and did something similar, but instead of a wooden tray Im using some fiberglass window screen. It looks like it should work pretty good and will definetly add some cooling to my batt all at the same time.
FoamJunkE is online now Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
Stress Be Gone
GBR2's Avatar
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,373 Posts
Just curious, are those clone Ultra plugs as I've never seen Deans come with built in grabbing ribs (which I wish they would do).
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
rvincent's Avatar
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,240 Posts
Hey Don I notice black depron around the exit duct? Was that to help center the smaller exit tube?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,934 Posts
Oops.!!! my bad, looks like I forgot to post it, here it is.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:27 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
rvincent's Avatar
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,240 Posts
Thanks!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:31 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
What was the CG for your MIG Don? Im looking to start the build on mine pretty soon..
My Mig CG is about 93mm with the 4S1000mah lipo and about 87mm with the 4S 1300 lipo. I like the forward CG a little better as it needs no down elevator trim. With the 4S 1000 I needed about 1/16" down elevator. The 4S1300 needed no down elevator.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:55 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,934 Posts
Bob,

As stupid as it sounds make sure your PDF print window is set to 100% print, sometimes they print 98% or "fit to paper" by default. Also the templates are not really meant to go over the EDF housing they are essentially the same diameter. If you look at the build photos I have the thrust tube butts up to the fan unit then I tape it to the fan. If you try to go over the OD of the housing there is usually no clearance as the foam hugs the OD of the fan unit.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:00 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
rvincent's Avatar
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,240 Posts
Ok thanks, I'm getting ready for that step right now. I did as you did with the vertical stab and changed the incidence. I also cut in the needed anhydralto give it the scale look I also warped in a little wash out in the wing tips. Hoping these changes help it fly flower better given the added weight of the 1300 4S pack
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:04 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
Just curious, are those clone Ultra plugs as I've never seen Deans come with built in grabbing ribs (which I wish they would do).
I have been using them for a long time on my EDFs

http://www.donsrc.com/cart/index.php...d&productId=84
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Ok thanks, I'm getting ready for that step right now. I did as you did with the vertical stab and changed the incidence. I also cut in the needed anhydralto give it the scale look I also warped in a little wash out in the wing tips. Hoping these changes help it fly flower better given the added weight of the 1300 4S pack
The weight is a good thing. I am actually going to get one and take out the nose weight that I have in mine. Actually I am going to order a couple...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:55 AM
Registered User
profilefan's Avatar
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Nice build as always Don, which lipo do you prefer if you had to pick one?
profilefan is online now Find More Posts by profilefan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,934 Posts
The 4S1300 is what I bought more of :-)

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:56 AM
Registered User
hyperknight's Avatar
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,340 Posts
Don,

I just picked one of these up and ordered the power setup from your site (wemo & 4800kv motor). I will be getting the same battery as well (1000mah).

I think I got everything laid out but I'm scratching my head one where I would place the receiver. Can you let me know what receiver you are using and where you placed it?

TIA,

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:03 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknight View Post
Don,

I just picked one of these up and ordered the power setup from your site (wemo & 4800kv motor). I will be getting the same battery as well (1000mah).

I think I got everything laid out but I'm scratching my head one where I would place the receiver. Can you let me know what receiver you are using and where you placed it?

TIA,

hk


Look at this photo in the top right. The receiver is white in color. I used my Dremel and removed some foam so the rx would fit.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3817158

This is the receiver I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8389
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Look at this photo in the top right. The receiver is white in color. I used my Dremel and removed some foam so the rx would fit.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3817158

This is the receiver I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8389
That is exactly how I did mine and it works great. Once you remove the foam next to the battery the wires can slide into there. I also removed my canopy and reglued it with the foam piece about 1/4 inch higher than stock. It made more room for the battery to fit in there. Works great now!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Wicked Powered Banana Hobby JPower 50mm F-86 The Don Don's RC 131 Feb 15, 2014 10:50 PM
Build Log Wicked Powered Banana Hobby Jpower 50mm AMX The Don Don's RC 199 Dec 19, 2012 08:19 PM
Build Log Wicked Powered 50mm Jpower T-33 EDF The Don Don's RC 21 Jul 26, 2012 02:07 PM
Build Log Wicked Powered Jpower 50mm T-45 EDF The Don Don's RC 32 Aug 07, 2011 04:31 PM
Sold Receiver Ready Wicked Powered 50mm Jpower L-39 and T-45 The Don Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 10, 2010 06:50 PM