Closed Thread
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:56 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Mine also has all the posts on one page. Also, when I go to the link, it doesn't go to the top of the page. It goes to the middle and I have to scroll up to get to the 'view first unread' link. Is there a way to change these two things? How did lostheli get his to split into multiple pages?
This is what I did:
Go to the top left of the page and select "Aerial Photography", then look for "The Real HD Key Cam Thread" (hopefully it is on the first page, if not look on page 2), it should show page 1,2,3,4,5-LastPage, select it and everything should be fine. Hope this helps.

/Jan
jhi is offline Find More Posts by jhi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Mine also has all the posts on one page. Also, when I go to the link, it doesn't go to the top of the page. It goes to the middle and I have to scroll up to get to the 'view first unread' link. Is there a way to change these two things? How did lostheli get his to split into multiple pages?
I took a screen shot of what you can edit in MyRCgroups. You set the number of posts per page and order of display.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:03 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Add/Remove Date and Time

Eletoponline emailed the .bin files to me and also sent me the CD (which I havent recieved yet)...I compared it to toms files in hex editor and they are both the same...Its possible clx1 may have missed a step during install...As far as I know there are no other versions of this cam...I zipped the files along with readme.txt how I did it on my website...I ordered mine like the 15th-17th and recieved it 24th...

This thread in page view: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Last edited by finster; Dec 31, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster View Post
Eletoponline emailed the .bin files to me and also sent me the CD (which I havent recieved yet)...I compared it to toms files in hex editor and they are both the same...Its possible clx1 may have missed a step during install...As far as I know there are no other versions of this cam...I zipped the files along with readme.txt how I did it on my website...I ordered mine like the 15th-17th and recieved it 24th...
Well, it is entirely possible that I fudged something as the instructions were sketchy at best especially at that time.

Tom and I exchanged emails offline because we were concerned that information that had not been thoroughly clarified, verified and tested can easily cause damage to a whole lot of very eager buyers of this gem. I can tell you that before I did anything, the flashing instructions from China I received had to be edited, clarified and rewritten several times back and forth mostly because of English usage and even then, it changed 3 times afterwards.

So I feel a little like a kid playing with a $40 toy that can break and I did not cry when I broke it. The seller was very gracious about their support with files and a replacement for my bricked cam so it was all in the spirit of fun. They mentioned to me that there were earlier versions of the camera but did not say how to tell them apart - just if you bricked it, it must be the earlier version.

And Tom did a great job starting this thread and trying to moderate and modulate potentially harmful information. I hope very soon, we will all be able to switch back and forth with a "Y" or "N" at the end of the date text and maintain the KISS tradition.

clx1
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:

This thread in page view: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692
Finster,

I went to your website and downloaded the bin files and readme directions. I printed out the readme and followed them. I went through steps 1-4 and in Step 5 I was looking for FW96630A.bin file to delete it. The only file is the no time bin file you provided. The camera still has the date stamp. It didn't brick. I just don't know what you mean by deleting that file. The only bin file is the one you provided.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 31, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:22 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Finster,

I went to your website and downloaded the bin files and readme directions. I printed out the readme and followed them. I was looking for FW96630A.bin file to delete it. The only file is the no time bin. The camera still has the date stamp. It didn't brick. I just don't know what you mean by deleting that file. The only bin file is the one you provided.

Bill
I looked at the files you mentioned, and they have been renamed! The files sent to me by both of the sources I list in post #2 were named exactly the same: FW96630A. But they are different files with different file lengths... one turns the date off (the smaller) and the other turns it on (the larger). So the instructions for use are correct, but only if the files are named with that same name. Once the firmware is flashed in, the file is left on the card, so you need to remove it. I checked the files you download from the other site and they are exactly the same as the ones I have, except they are renamed.

I'd be interested if the files came named that way from the vendor. I asked the vendors early on if I could add to the filename to identify the "on" and "off" files, and the vendor just said do not change the file names. So, that may be one reason it didn't work. Or maybe it did work, but you used the file for turning on the date, so it didn't change?

I just hope someone doesn't brick a camera in the process.

To the best of my knowledge, my post #12 has all the current information in it for date swapping. If there is more to add, I'll add it (like if the name change can be done without bricking a camera or preventing it from doing anything).

Just examining the firmware files with a hex editor, it appears that the "96630" in the binary file name MAY be the magic bullet in making it work, and the name can be extended to make easier ID of what the file does. But the vendors couldn't confirm if it works or might brick the camera in the process.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:23 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The only bin file is the one you provided.
The way I understand it, that is the file you are to delete, otherwise it reloads the file every time.

instructions emailed to me from eletoponline365:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The manuel:

1. Please trun on the camera, then connect the camera to a computer with a USB cable and put the bin file to Micro SD card, root directory. ( attention: please do not change the name of the file).
2. Please pull out the camera from the USB cable. Waitting for the camrea Automatically turn off.
3. Please press the “turn on” bottom, waitting for the camera turn on again, then the update is completed.
4. After you update, please delete the firmware from your camera. So that prevent the camera update again and again when you turn on.

please try it , hope you like it, and waitting for your reply.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I just received my camera and will attempt the timestamp removal after it is done charging and a quick operational test.
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I looked at the files you mentioned, and they have been renamed! The files sent to me by both of the sources I list in post #2 were named exactly the same: FW96630A. But they are different files with different file lengths... one turns the date off (the smaller) and the other turns it on (the larger). So the instructions for use are correct, but only if the files are named with that same name. Once the firmware is flashed in, the file is left on the card, so you need to remove it. I checked the files you download from the other site and they are exactly the same as the ones I have, except they are renamed.

I'd be interested if the files came named that way from the vendor. I asked the vendors early on if I could add to the filename to identify the "on" and "off" files, and the vendor just said do not change the file names. So, that may be one reason it didn't work. Or maybe it did work, but you used the file for turning on the date, so it didn't change?

I just hope someone doesn't brick a camera in the process.

To the best of my knowledge, my post #12 has all the current information in it for date swapping. If there is more to add, I'll add it (like if the name change can be done without bricking a camera or preventing it from doing anything).

Just examining the firmware files with a hex editor, it appears that the "96630" in the binary file name MAY be the magic bullet in making it work, and the name can be extended to make easier ID of what the file does. But the vendors couldn't confirm if it works or might brick the camera in the process.
Tom,

Hmmm, since I am using Finster's files I will let him get back on the file name renaming issue. I only know that I still have a working camera with a date stamp. If I undestand it I am to (as part of step 5) delete the file I just installed?

Below is from Finster's file download on his website:

Remove Date/Time Instructions:

Use at own risk!!! Follow steps below.

#1 Turn on camera, plug in USB.

#2 Open the camera folder and place the FW96630A NO TIME.bin file next to the DCIM folder (root of camera)
Important Note: ((Do not rename or modify the .bin files))

#3 Unplug the USB and wait for the light to go off on its own.

#4 Turn on camera and wait for the light to appear (takes few seconds)

#5 Open the camera folder again but this time delete the file FW96630A.bin from the folder. Make sure to delete the file or the cam will keep installing the .bin file each time the cam powers up.

#6 Test your cam to see if Time/Date is gone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To put time back on use the FW96630A HAVE TIME.bin, Follow same steps as above.

2KOOL4U.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:40 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
The way I understand it, that is the file you are to delete, otherwise it reloads the file every time.

instructions emailed to me from eletoponline365:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The manuel:

1. Please trun on the camera, then connect the camera to a computer with a USB cable and put the bin file to Micro SD card, root directory. ( attention: please do not change the name of the file).
2. Please pull out the camera from the USB cable. Waitting for the camrea Automatically turn off.
3. Please press the “turn on” bottom, waitting for the camera turn on again, then the update is completed.
4. After you update, please delete the firmware from your camera. So that prevent the camera update again and again when you turn on.

please try it , hope you like it, and waitting for your reply.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I just received my camera and will attempt the timestamp removal after it is done charging and a quick operational test.
That is some pretty scarey Chinglish. What does he mean by requiring to "delete the firmware."?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:43 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Prof100-

Yes...that is exactly the way it came from vendor...Once you installed the no time.bin restart cam and wait for light to appear...delete the no time.bin file from cam folder and restart cam again...date should be gone...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Prof100-

Yes...that is exactly the way it came from vendor...Once you installed the no time.bin restart cam and wait for light to appear...delete the no time.bin file from cam folder and restart cam again...date should be gone...
OK, but I have shot videos with it after that attempt. Do I need to restart from the beginning or simply delete the no time.bin file. Should I remove it with a card reader or with the camera connected and read it with the camera on?

I am nervous about bricking the camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Just delete the file and restart cam...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:01 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
I can confirm that it works per finster's instructions.

Prof100, make sure to remove the file before you use the camera. after removing file unplug from usb and wait for light to go off then turn on camera and take a video(timestamp should be gone)
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:08 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know there are no other versions of this cam
Both sources (who represent all four know vendors) confirmed to me that some of the very early cameras shipped had different firmware which can not be updated with this method. The cameras are physically identical, but with different firmware now because users wanted the ability to remove the date stamp.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Just delete the file and restart cam...
I did delete the installed bin file, restarted and it still has the date stamp.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread