HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:16 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Cheers Dr J, Do you use brushed motors then?

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Cheers Dr J, Do you use brushed motors then?

Jim
There are Brushed and Brushless versions of what HH calls the "AR6400".

Dr. John's Mig 29 uses 2S Brushless equipment like what is found in the AS3X Mig 15.

For 1S planes, most people stick with Brushed, because it is more efficient, because of the gearing.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:22 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
What UNGN said. This little 16" ws Jumping Bean sport/pattern ship uses the motor and Rx from a Stryker UMX. This is a 2 cell brushless non AS3X system. The X in UMX designates 2 cell brushless.

I launched the Jumping Bean right behind a 70mm F-16 this past weekend at a fly-in in Mullberry FL. I was able to pass him at will. When I went to see what his setup was he had packed up and left the field. I will admit it was not a very fast F-16 but the Bean will do 60 +.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
What UNGN said. This little 16" ws Jumping Bean sport/pattern ship uses the motor and Rx from a Stryker UMX. This is a 2 cell brushless non AS3X system. The X in UMX designates 2 cell brushless.

I launched the Jumping Bean right behind a 70mm F-16 this past weekend at a fly-in in Mullberry FL. I was able to pass him at will. When I went to see what his setup was he had packed up and left the field. I will admit it was not a very fast F-16 but the Bean will do 60 +.

Dr John
And.... based on when I flew your prototype, it will fly really slow as well. I was doing inverted harriers at a crawl and was pretty darned impressed. It was almost like it was hanging from the ceiling on static display. I look forward to seeing how V2 performs. Should have time for video this weekend, weather permitting.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:27 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
There are Brushed and Brushless versions of what HH calls the "AR6400".

Dr. John's Mig 29 uses 2S Brushless equipment like what is found in the AS3X Mig 15.

For 1S planes, most people stick with Brushed, because it is more efficient, because of the gearing.
these are worth a look brushless with gearbox ...about 60gms thrust on a single cell
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10003
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:27 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
these are worth a look brushless with gearbox ...about 60gms thrust on a single cell
They would be great if they had a 1.5mm shaft instead of one of a 1mm one made of buttermetal.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
I think 40gms thrust is more realistic also. If you can find just the motor this would be a perfect gearbox for it(direct fit), but you would have to ream the hole in the pinion gear to fit the motor.
TODD
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=681
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Dec 11, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
841 Posts
Light Carbon Cub (1S set up)

After having crashed the CC that went crazy for a unknown reason, i decided to make a light version without AS3X, without flaps too, but with a pilot!
I made a removable wing with 2mm depron and struts are made from balsa.The transport box will be tiny!

Motor: 5g Mighty Midget brushless motor
2.5g ESC
5030 prop
AR6400
2.5g Servo for ailerons
1S 180 mA.h battery

AUW is 70g (20g less than the original CC).
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Last edited by indoor_fr; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
329 Posts
Here are a few photos of my first custom built indoor plane, an Etrich Taube.

I have an outdoor one, 2m (80 inch) wingspan for RC and really like it so I thought I would try my hand at building one using my Ember 2 module and gearbox as the Ember was getting a little tatty.

I copied some 3 view drawings of the real plane to cut all the sheets out to get a good outline, and with a large RC model available I knew how it should look. The build is all depron sheet, 2mm for the wings and the flats ections of the fuselage. The curved turtle deck is 1mm depron, scored and rolled. UHU Por was used for assembly. The undercambered wings were created by warm beinding, the sheets were coverd with plan proctector and then taped down on the leading edges of one of my large RC models wings and then heated with the hot air gun. The reflex sections at the wing tips were then heated seperately. Colour is by Promarker felt pens which give a reasonable antique colouring. The wheels are commercial items, laser cut plywood. The undercarriage is self made from thin piano wire and is a simplification of the real thing. A bit of scale detail from light balsa for the engine block and radiators has been added along with waterslide transfers. The transfers were made by photographing my large RC model, messing about with Paint Shop Pro and then printing out the results onto the waterslide.

The most difficult part was getting the down thrust right to match the undercamber of the wings and I still have ended up with down elevator mixed in with increasing throttle to stop it climbing madly. It flies around really nicely on about half throttle.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,273 Posts
Nice Peter
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,045 Posts
Absolutely beautiful

Could you do a construction thread and/or post the plans. That is beautiful and I bet it is really beautiful just floating around.
Swilson50
aka: Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
329 Posts
I'll see if I can find the drawing I printed out to cut the sheets from and put that up along with some notes / sketches. As I made the design up as I went along there is no plan as such and I never took any pictures during the build.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I'm planning on building a twin engine plane with about a 26" wing span (I know, might be a bit big to be called a "Micro", but it is 1/24th scale); all 1/32" balsa (fuselage crutches will be 2 layers laminated 1/32) construction and fully sheeted in 1/32", retractable landing gear, and probably at least 200mah battery capacity. I'm guessing it will weight some where around 4-5 ounces, perhaps as much as 6.

Now, the props to scale would be about 6" in diameter and three blade; is that getting a little big for the mustang motors, and where can I get props that size and counter rotating?

If I have no choice but to use the mossy props, would they along with the mustang motors be able to haul a plane of this size?

Assuming the mustang motors won't do the job with 6" props, what about an AP05 brushless with the same props and a two cell power set up?

Thank you for the help in advance.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
I'm planning on building a twin engine plane with about a 26" wing span (I know, might be a bit big to be called a "Micro", but it is 1/24th scale); all 1/32" balsa (fuselage crutches will be 2 layers laminated 1/32) construction and fully sheeted in 1/32", retractable landing gear, and probably at least 200mah battery capacity. I'm guessing it will weight some where around 4-5 ounces, perhaps as much as 6.

Now, the props to scale would be about 6" in diameter and three blade; is that getting a little big for the mustang motors, and where can I get props that size and counter rotating?

If I have no choice but to use the mossy props, would they along with the mustang motors be able to haul a plane of this size?

Assuming the mustang motors won't do the job with 6" props, what about an AP05 brushless with the same props and a two cell power set up?

Thank you for the help in advance.
http://www.gwsprops.com/3_blade_props.htm

they have 6 inch 3 blade props. never used there 3 balde, but they 2508 and 2510 are nice. i have used tha site be foe and they ship fast, no foe day waitin to put in da mail.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Are there any pics of how people set up the push rods on these micro planes?

Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11