New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2013, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by S4WDU5T
Never trade Luck for Skill
United States, NY, Cape Vincent
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
Discussion
Fort Drum/Watertown NY, where do you fly?

I've only recently gotten back into the hobby after a 20-odd year hiatus, and have had no luck tracking down any local clubs, they're all downstate around Syracuse or across the river in Canada. The only thread here on RCG I could find related to this area was about 5 yrs old, pretty dated info so I'll try this new thread.

The two local clubs we had in this area back then seem to have fallen off the radar in the intervening years, the 1000 Islands RC Modelers had a flying field outside Limerick, but there's been no update to their website since 2010 and no response from the contact info, and the LeRay Recycled Flyers Club used to fly at a landfill site not far outside the Ft. Drum main gate, but no website to be found or any contact info for them that I could track down, just a mention in an old listing of clubs using closed landfills for a flying field...

The new "Places" feature here on RCG is nice, but so far shows a very large blank radius around us up here. I added the locations of where those two clubs had their flying fields years ago to the Places map, the Google satellite view still shows runways/field areas in those locations but may be from old pics. I haven't added my 'personal' field in "Places" yet though, I'm pretty far off the beaten path way out here and the field needs some work, but I'll consider listing it if there's no other good options!

So, any RC pilots out there in this area? Displaced soldiers looking for a field? If there are no clubs and enough of us around here flying, maybe we could start a new club? Any interest? Thoughts?

Dusty
S4WDU5T is online now Find More Posts by S4WDU5T
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2013, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by ESylin
Heli Nut
United States, NY, Watertown
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
There really isnt anything in the Watertown area that I have found. I live between Watertown and Adams. I fly pretty regularly, but on private property. I know a couple other people that do the same sort of thing in the area.

A club around here would be amazing!

~Jake
ESylin is offline Find More Posts by ESylin
Old Apr 09, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
Hi Jake!

I do the same here, I have my 'private' flying field out back, but it sure would be nice to have others to fly *with*! Spending all afternoon in the middle of a field with your models all by yourself starts to look and feel a little strange before long...

I haven't given up trying to track down info on the old clubs, someone has to know what became of them. I haven't yet driven out to either of their fields to see if there's anything still there, I'll give that a try next time I'm near them, or if it's a nice day to fly I'll head that way and hope for the best!

As I recall there were about 20 members in the 1000 Islands club, and 15-20 or so in the LeRay club... I guess it's not impossible that they all moved away or changed hobbies or just up and quit flying, but it seems unlikely, surely a couple of them at least are still out here somewhere!

I'll keep this thread updated on any info I can find, and in the meantime maybe I'll look into what all is involved in starting up a new club, at this point I don't think we have enough folks to make a carpool, much less a whole flying club!

Dusty
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
I got a response from the contact listed on the 1000 Islands club site:

To my knowledge the club is still "active" that said I haven't been down to the field in quite some time and when I was in the club it was way too lax and unstructured and basically the only thing that was together well was the field because a small group of members keep it going the best that they can. Too my knowledge there are still people flying down there, primarily in the evenings during the week or morning and evening on the weekends. I might be interested in joining a new club and or rejoining the TIRCM again if the club actually tries to progress a little. I hope you find the info useful.

I guess I'll have to stop out to their field and hope to catch someone there, if Spring ever manages to arrive! Everything was encased in ice this morning...

Dusty
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by RcLou56
Just Plane Nuts.
United States, NY, Greig
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
I use to belong to the 1000 Islands RC Modelers back when we use to spend every weekend at camp in Guffins Bay, was only a 10 min drive from camp. Life takes over and things change and the years go by, but I have also been wanting to get back into fly R/C again, I do stop in to the club now and then when we take a trip to camp to check it over. They are a great group of guys that's for sure and I'm looking to join up here this summer and start spending some more time at camp. Life is going by fast and I miss the hobby and camp!!
RcLou56 is offline Find More Posts by RcLou56
Old May 01, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
Hi Lou!

If you get back up our way and actually find any of the members, see if you can get some info about the club membership or a contact number to share with us here, please!

The weather finally turned off nicer of late, but twice now I've been out to their field, a nice weekday evening and a gorgeous sunday afternoon, only to find no one there, just the chain across the driveway without so much as a sign with any info to go on.

I haven't gotten out to the LeRay field as yet but hope to soon, they're way out on the other side of the city so it's a little off my beaten path, but I'll post anything I find out!

Dusty
Old May 06, 2013, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by RcLou56
Just Plane Nuts.
United States, NY, Greig
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
I'll see if I can find some contacts.

Lou
RcLou56 is offline Find More Posts by RcLou56
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Rasta C
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
New to the hobby.

I will be returning to Ft. Drum area mid October at the latest. I will have a brand spanking new Avistar Elite. A guy in my unit flies on Division Hill old post Ft. Drum. You just have to watch for approaching choppers and such. Plus the MP's usually won't bother you over there. The BOSS program on Drum had tried to get single Soldiers involved in the hobby but Xbox won that battle. Anyway I definately will be trying that field out when I get home along with my coworker and a new plane.
Rasta C is offline Find More Posts by Rasta C
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
Rasta - Sounds great! Welcome back when you get here, and welcome to this rather addicting hobby!

I haven't been out on Drum in a number of years so was unfamiliar with Division Hill, but from the Google Earth view it looks like a nice, wide-open area to fly, though the mention of "approaching choppers" and "the MP's usually won't bother you over there" gives me a bit of pause

You mention another soldier in your unit currently flying there? I assume this requires permission or notification of some kind prior to flying? I would think a sudden cluster of unknown or 'unofficial' radio signals from a remote corner of a military base might raise a few eyebrows in today's security-conscious environment, and would likely guarantee being converged on by the MP's!

I'm unsure of the regulations concerning civilian activities on military bases but I'd certainly enjoy joining you out there. I know Drum at one time allowed hunters into the backwoods areas on-base but I think that changed post-9/11. I could look into it for flying models though, seems like our hobby would be less restrictive where permissions are concerned

Maybe if we can 'drum' up enough interest for a fun-fly or just an informal get-together on weekends we could wean some of those other guys off their X-boxes too, get them out of the barracks and into the sun!

On that note, when you say "the Xbox won that battle", do you know if the BOSS program gave up on promoting this hobby since then? As long as I'm checking into permissions I can look into that program as well, maybe some community involvement from out here can generate some interest and get something going!

I'll keep this thread updated on anything I learn.

Let us know when you get back, we'll come fly with you!

Dusty
Old Aug 26, 2013, 05:21 AM
Find More Posts by Rasta C
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
Trainer is bought "Avistar Elite"

As far as I know there are no passes required. I know at least 3 people who fly there on the regular and have had no issues. The Boss program was scrapped to my knowledge for now. Will post a message when I get home and is ready to fly.
Rasta C is offline Find More Posts by Rasta C
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by bailbonds
United States, VA, Hopewell
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
it is no longer safe to fly at division hill. I very recently lost my Ultra Sport do to rf interference. I am desperately looking for a new place to fly, so if anyone finds a place, please let me know.
bailbonds is offline Find More Posts by bailbonds
Old Nov 02, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
need to fly

Dusty,

have you found a place to fly? I used to fly on fort drum at a parade field, but have recently had too much RF interference.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
bailbonds - Sorry to hear that, was the trouble on 2.4gHz radios? Rasta C mentioned having a few friends that fly at Division Hill, did anyone else report radio issues at that location?

I've tried a few times to get some information on the club that was right outside Drum's main gate, the field and their sign is right behind Bradley's Military store on Route 11, on the left coming out the gate. I snapped a pic of the sign but there's no contact information on it, and no one in Bradley's or any of the other stores in that strip mall seemed to know anything about it other than having seen the sign.

The road that leads out back to their field is behind a locked gate but there was a truck dumping at the landfill part back there the day I took the pic, so as it shows the gate was open, but I didn't venture further back past the "no trespassing" signs without having permission or knowing where I was going!

RcLou56 found some of the guys from the club in Limerick, but that might be a bit of a drive from Ft. Drum. I can PM you the contact number he got for their club if the distance isn't a hindrance. As I recall the LeRay club started because many of the modelers from the Watertown/Black River area didn't like the distance to the Limerick field and wanted something closer... we just don't know where any of them are these days...

I'll keep looking and update this thread if I stumble across any new info, in the meantime I hope you have some luck finding a place to fly. Let me know if you want the Limerick club info at least.

Dusty
Old Nov 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Dusty- thank you for the reply. Yes, I use 2.4 ghz, it is a Spectrum DX6i. I began to doubt the quality of my transmitter till i tested it in other locations with no issues. There is alot of stuff on drum that is a need to know basis if you know what i mean, so i am betting that is what caused my problem. I know Rasta C, I actually got him involved in the hobby. No one else has tried the location since i lost my beloved Ultra Sport, RIP.
I talked to the manager of the recycle center at leray last year and they let me fly there, there is a very tiny paved overgroan runway right next to the trees. they wouldn't mind letting a club start up there again, but needs a lot of work. I bet a runway could be cut in the grass further away from the trees.
I have ventured out to limrick just last week in hopes to find people flying with no luck. So, yes i would love to have there contact info and i dont mind traveling to fly at a nice field. Hopefully i can fly next weekend.

Bailbonds
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
bailbonds - PM sent with contact info, I'd forgotten to ask permisson to post the number here on the thread, that might be too "public" for comfort if it's a home number and not so much just a club contact, so better safe than sorry

I've only seen good things said about the Spectrum DX equipment so I'm sure that's not the issue, most military installations are a hotbed of powerful radio transmissions that can blanket entire frequencies as I recall from my Navy days years ago, but as you said I doubt Drum would confirm or deny any particular frequency usage that could cause us problems with our radios.

I could see from the Google Earth views that there was still a runway and field at the LeRay site, but if it's all overgrown and unkept nowadays then it's likely their club no longer exists, I thought the club sign still being there would suggest otherwise, more's the pity...

If the recycle center is alright with some of us using that field I'd be happy to volunteer some effort towards tidying it up for use, even if just to keep the field mowed come springtime, not sure what kind of access we'd have once the snow piles up or if they'd want an actual club there to take care of things, but it's worth looking into.

Hope everything works out finding a place to fly, let us know here if you do and we'll try to join you, wherever we may end up!

Dusty