SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2015, 06:07 PM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
9,242 Posts
Rob great to see you back at it , beutiful work !! Love the choice and in fact I have virtually the same pattern on my LX P40 in the Bananha Hobby P40 thread.
I am finishing another 79" LX P40 same color scheme as you, I just gave it a dusting with mustard tan from a distance to dirty up the bird lol,
Looking forward to seeing your progress
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by handyman 220
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
719 Posts
Just bought the P-40 in the camo colors from Killer Planes. Always wanted one but they were discontinued before I could buy it. Even with the short falls it is still nice looking plane.
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old May 08, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by Rob Knox
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Rob great to see you back at it , beutiful work !! Love the choice and in fact I have virtually the same pattern on my LX P40 in the Bananha Hobby P40 thread.
I am finishing another 79" LX P40 same color scheme as you, I just gave it a dusting with mustard tan from a distance to dirty up the bird lol,
Looking forward to seeing your progress
G'day Lou.

I've had a very interesting, albeit not ideal, year.
I won't go into detail, but it has been a bit rough.

It's good to be back into the hobby room and customising again.

This subject, SQN LDR John Jackson, is an important one for Australia and the US.
It was John and his 75 SQN boys (which included his younger brother Les) who held the line for the crucial months between March and May 1942. If it hadn't been for them, the Japs would have taken Port Moresby, and possibly started bombing Cairns and Townsville, and possibly have launched an invasion of Australia.
Historians believe that it would not have altered the outcome of the war, but it would have extended it for a few years, and made life very uncomfortable for Australians. Not to mention the additional cost in lives which would have resulted.

Thanks to these great electric foamy warbirds, guys like John Jackson can fly again in spirit.

This is a good documentary on the importance of 75 SQNs contribution to that period in history.
Video from the Past [13] - No. 75 Squadron's Defence of Port Moresby (58 min 5 sec)
Rob Knox is online now Find More Posts by Rob Knox
Old May 08, 2015, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
United States, MN, Stillwater
Joined Jan 2011
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
With FMS updating the P-51 to version 8 and the P-40 still hanging around at version 3, is this still a good model to consider buying in the 1400mm series?

Not many vendors carry it or the parts. Would it be better to wait to see if FMS or some other manufacturer come out with the next generation of P-40?

Ron
Actually there is a new P-40 from FMS on the way. It will be a 1400mm P-40B based on a mold similar to the new 980mm P-40B. Should be worth waiting for compared to the current generation FMS P-40s. Thread link is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2341317
F106DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
Old May 09, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
6,330 Posts
Welcome back Rob. Sorry to hear about your rough year. Look forward to seeing some more of your custom works of art.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 09, 2015, 10:33 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
Actually there is a new P-40 from FMS on the way. It will be a 1400mm P-40B based on a mold similar to the new 980mm P-40B. Should be worth waiting for compared to the current generation FMS P-40s. Thread link is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2341317
They haven't even made the molds yet according to diamond which is the one who originally reported this model. Now they are saying 12/15 at the earliest. I'm putting this one in the I'll believe it when I see it category.
Old Jun 06, 2015, 05:47 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,922 Posts
G'day gents,
I just got this link from the RAAF 3 Squadron Association website.
It's from the Australian War Memorial Website, and it is Bobby Gibbs home movies from the Middle East right up to when he got married in Darwin.

Fascinating insight into life in the desert and the men and their equipment.
It looks as though they did it quite tough.

There are also quite a few scenes of destroyed and captured German and Italian aircraft.

Enjoy.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F03477/

Rob
Old Jun 10, 2015, 06:53 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,922 Posts
These are a couple of the best shots from flying this morning.

Before you ask, these guys didn't have radios, so it is historically correct that there is no antennae post.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by santanig5
United States, NJ, Roxbury Township
Joined Nov 2014
180 Posts
Advice?

Hello Pilots,
I need some advice, I've "built" one see my LOG
and she is a beast to fly! She was my first foam "build" so I'm sure that has allot to do with it. I had no real instructions and I'm not sure I have the COG correct, and I only get about 5 minute flights on a 2500 4s that is hot when she lands.
All comments are appreciated.

Regards,
GJS
santanig5 is offline Find More Posts by santanig5
Old Jun 10, 2015, 09:33 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
6,330 Posts
Rob I loved the video. Absolutely insane that Jackson may have died trying to prove to desk jockeys that he and his pilots weren't cowards because they were using the correct tactics vs. the zero.

Thanks for posting that. I love history and aviation history in particular but knew really nothing about that cobbled together squadron that defended Moresby. Kind of reminded me of the "Cactus Air Force" at Guadalcanal.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:51 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Rob I loved the video. Absolutely insane that Jackson may have died trying to prove to desk jockeys that he and his pilots weren't cowards because they were using the correct tactics vs. the zero.

Thanks for posting that. I love history and aviation history in particular but knew really nothing about that cobbled together squadron that defended Moresby. Kind of reminded me of the "Cactus Air Force" at Guadalcanal.
G'day Al,
What the RAAF Command did to John Jackson was, in my mind, criminal.
Exactly the sort of thing we've come to expect from commanders who do not know the job......or did once, but have not kept them up to speed with current capabilities vs the capabilities of the enemy and their equipment.

The fact that we've come to expect it is really indicative of the types of people who are at the top. Political appointments rather than performance based.

I have been giving some of the young pilots who are on course at work, little history lessons explaining that it would be like them being given one week to learn to fly a modern gunship, then one week learning to fight it, then being sent to war.....but with no radios.

Anyway, I love flying this model because it. Does look soooooo good in the air.

My 3 P40's
Last edited by Rob Knox; Jun 13, 2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 04:58 AM
bps
Find More Posts by bps
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5 View Post
Hello Pilots,
I need some advice, I've "built" one see my LOG
and she is a beast to fly! She was my first foam "build" so I'm sure that has allot to do with it. I had no real instructions and I'm not sure I have the COG correct, and I only get about 5 minute flights on a 2500 4s that is hot when she lands.
All comments are appreciated.

Regards,
GJS
I found a downloadable manual here

http://www.diamondhobby.com/airplane...-p40-green-pnp

Flight time sounds about right to me for that sized battery. I use a 400 gram 3.3 amp 4s in mine. Battery is ok just to be warm, but not hot. Check to make sure your motor turns freely. Mine developed a bad bearing after two flights. Prop was very difficult to turn.

Tail heavy issued persist so check your CG with the posted specs in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post26598401

You will find what works. CG with gear up since gear retracts reward. Also check your control throws as is does not take much elevator on these warbirds. I use 40 percent expo as well.

Best
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Jun 11, 2015, 06:28 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
6,330 Posts
Rob I acquired a slightly battle worn LX P-40 that is going to be a bit of a project. I believe its a P-40 E. Been wondering what scheme I would paint it. Maybe I'll do one of those RAAF early Kittyhawks. Were they all the green/earth camofluage? Seems a fitting plane to model and not likely to see a similar one about here.

BTW do you or any of your friends own an LX P-40? I was shocked at how big the thing was when I put it in the car to take home. Makes the FMS jobbies look tiny.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 06:54 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Rob I acquired a slightly battle worn LX P-40 that is going to be a bit of a project. I believe its a P-40 E. Been wondering what scheme I would paint it. Maybe I'll do one of those RAAF early Kittyhawks. Were they all the green/earth camofluage? Seems a fitting plane to model and not likely to see a similar one about here.

BTW do you or any of your friends own an LX P-40? I was shocked at how big the thing was when I put it in the car to take home. Makes the FMS jobbies look tiny.
G'day Al,
Yes mate, LDM, Lou, has one. Follow this link to Lou's post with his LX P40.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12894

And this link to some images of RAAF P40's.

raaf p40

Cheers mate

Rob