HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
694 Posts
Flew mine today too but it was so windy I could barely control it. The wind was coming from the opposite direction from usual and my landing spot is small and downwind today. I did get some practice on harrier landings though. It was a little scary but I did two pretty decent ones without damaging anything.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:54 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
nice.

I flew mine today with better results. I got the cg issues sorted out and I increased my expo. Now it is flying like a champ. It was pretty windy here today and it flew great. Can't wait to get it out on a calm on.
I think it take a while to get the feel of a slick, I think it took me 50 flight before I was locked in, but once you get them dialed in there is no substitute, this is the one airframe that if I crash tomorrow, I buy replacement tomorrow
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I think it take a while to get the feel of a slick, I think it took me 50 flight before I was locked in, but once you get them dialed in there is no substitute, this is the one airframe that if I crash tomorrow, I buy replacement tomorrow
I agree. I'm starting to get very confident with mine now. I hope together that comfortable with my 70" Slick soon too!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I agree. I'm starting to get very confident with mine now. I hope together that comfortable with my 70" Slick soon too!
I hope so as well, probably won't have my 71 up and running until after the new year, but if it flys as well as my 51" I'll be in heaven
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I hope so as well, probably won't have my 71 up and running until after the new year, but if it flys as well as my 51" I'll be in heaven
Mine does. But it just takes some time getting comfortable/confident slinging it around like I do my 51.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
It seems a little squirrelly to me now but so many people love these that I'm going to keep at it. I need some calm days to get some quality time on the sticks.

It sure does KE spin better than my 48 Vyper! I even did a sloppy blender today! Bonedoc's videos are great for newbies.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
It seems a little squirrelly to me now but so many people love these that I'm going to keep at it. I need some calm days to get some quality time on the sticks.

It sure does KE spin better than my 48 Vyper! I even did a sloppy blender today! Bonedoc's videos are great for newbies.
The Slicks can feel a little... slippery sometimes. It's almost like they are TOO capable at times. But once you get acclimated, it's a beautiful thing!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
Quote:

It is very responsive to inputs. You may need more expo if it feels really squirelly. You could also have a COG issue... i.e. tail heavy. Just check some things out... but you are right... it is very responsive and takes practice to get good with it.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,277 Posts
Quote:
Flew mine today too but it was so windy I could barely control it. The wind was coming from the opposite direction from usual and my landing spot is small and downwind today. I did get some practice on harrier landings though. It was a little scary but I did two pretty decent ones without damaging anything.
This thing handles wind so well I quit flying when my eyes start to water from the wind... behind my glasses! Maybe I should get goggles so I can fly more!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
The Slicks can feel a little... slippery sometimes. It's almost like they are TOO capable at times. But once you get acclimated, it's a beautiful thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
It is very responsive to inputs. You may need more expo if it feels really squirelly. You could also have a COG issue... i.e. tail heavy. Just check some things out... but you are right... it is very responsive and takes practice to get good with it.
Both you guys are right. It does feel "slippery." I have 75% expo so I don't think that is the problem. I need some calm to get the cg just right. Gusty wind makes it hard to get a good read on it.

This forum is a huge resource for me. I'd never heard of 3dhs or 3D planes before.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:59 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,686 Posts
Quote:
Both you guys are right. It does feel "slippery." I have 75% expo so I don't think that is the problem. I need some calm to get the cg just right. Gusty wind makes it hard to get a good read on it.

This forum is a huge resource for me. I'd never heard of 3dhs or 3D planes before.
And there are a lot more 3DHS forums.... you really need to check these two out... 3DHS "Fly Low' Thread (Frequently off topic) and....the " 3DHS Fanatics" thread....The first one is the "lounge" where just about anything is ok....the second one is on topic for all things pertaining to 3DHS planes....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
Quote:

At the risk of being annoying... You can have too much expo just like too little. A really high expo setting starts to act like an on/off switch. You will get nothing and then wham... everything at once. There is a balance that you need to fine. I never flew with that much expo but I know some guys like it. Just food for thought.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:34 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Quote:
At the risk of being annoying... You can have too much expo just like too little. A really high expo setting starts to act like an on/off switch. You will get nothing and then wham... everything at once. There is a balance that you need to fine. I never flew with that much expo but I know some guys like it. Just food for thought.
+1. I flew for a year w/o any expo at all
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
I was working with that yesterday but it was just too windy. I might try it again today with less expo. I might even lower my rates a little.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
I was working with that yesterday but it was just too windy. I might try it again today with less expo. I might even lower my rates a little.
Lowering your rates is kinda of like adding expo. So if you lower your expo and your rates it may feel the same. Except for the last part of the stick movement. Bam!
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head