SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:46 PM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
aircraft in education

Hi all-

I was looking for an aircraft recommendation in the indoor category (think gym) that 6-8th graders would have the most success building/assembling and flying.

I'm extending the technology program here at our small K-8 school. I've got RC experience from way back when (does Graupner Cirrus ring a bell?) and would be fine getting the program together and making sure everything is ready to fly prior to that maiden flight.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Newtie is offline Find More Posts by Newtie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:01 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
603 Posts
While I think RC in education is a GREAT idea, I think the budget you would have to have would prevent it going very far in these extremely budget conscious times.

Even using Hobbyking parts and dollar tree foamboard planes, it's very very difficult to get a scratchbuilt plane flying for under $100 each.

Flite Test has probably been the most successful in teaching aerodynamic principles by using dollar tree foam to make chuck gliders. Each student can make a glider for just a few dollars in materials and that is a much easier pill to swallow. Contests for time aloft and flight distance can be done.
Flite Test - Control Surface Workshop (8 min 54 sec)

They also made a vortex cannon
Flite Test - Vortex Cannon (3 min 32 sec)

Mesa rcFoamFighters have done a successful after school RC program where all the students make the plane and the instructor does the flying. http://www.mesarcfoamfighters.com/

Hope that helps.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:39 PM
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
I would suggest getting a few packs of those rubber band planes- for the reasons mentioned above. If this is intended as a sort of seminar/introduction to flight, get them into the hobby through those little balsa windups and foam throw gliders, and then direct them to sources like the FT beginner series, and something like HH's Duet- which they can do on their own time and their own dime.

I can honestly say that you are going to have a hard time getting anyone under 8th grade to dedicate themself to the hobby- as it is quite costly, time consuming, and requires a lot of patience, something that very few middle- schoolers have.

If you really do want to take the time to do this, suggest resources and a powered rtf to the people ho you'll be teaching, and offer tips, repair/building supplies, and instruction resources during the class. The reality of it is that you simply won't have the budget to sustain an RC club just off of school funds, so you'll have to depend on the students to supply the aircraft, and for you to supply the instruction.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark
Newtie is offline Find More Posts by Newtie
Old Sep 03, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
320 Posts
or you could buy and gut airhogs airplanes 25-20$ each
minimicrorc is online now Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:25 PM
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimicrorc View Post
or you could buy and gut airhogs airplanes 25-20$ each
Eww... air hogs. Although for beginners, I will admit the price is not at all undesirable- but they very easily give a bad face to the overall hobby. It would be interesting to see how just the electronics would do- nice thought!

Is air hogs running 2.4 nowadays?
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 10:12 PM
IT"S A PLANE NOT DOGFOOD
Australia, VIC, Hampton East
Joined Feb 2013
219 Posts
I would recommend flitetest planes becuase they are swappable it means you can take out electronics and put into a diffrent plane(sometimes it's not good to put a motor designed to make a plane fly slow for a beginner into a plane designed for high performance motor) all you have to buy when you want a new plane is the build kit available from flitetest for around the $30 range

A good idea might to be have them build the planes and just have 5 power cores(not sure about the cost of the power core and you will also need 5 transmitters)so $33 for the flitetest 3 pack (designed for beginner flyers) per person and then then have the cost of the expensive parts (electronics) spread out so it doesn't cost so much per person

By the way do you or have anyone who knows how to fly rc and can help the kids to fly
wojethebest is offline Find More Posts by wojethebest