HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,040 Posts
Discussion
FrSky DIY in Vintage Tx

I would like to put the FrSky DIY module in an old Proline Competition Six transmitter. Everything is on one board in the Tx. How would I go about finding where to hook the new module into the existing setup?
Jeff
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:31 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,076 Posts
I dont know that particular transmitter but I have done a good few 'period' conversions.
If its a discrete encoder (ie transistors rather than a chip) look for several identical small groups of components, one group per channel. Each group is a half-shot and will have one transistor, connections to a stick pot, a trimmer pot, a capacitor, and a diode. The 'other end' of all the diodes, one from each group, will connect together onto a common rail. That rail will go (maybe indirectly) to a transistor base, which may or may not be very closely wired to another transistor. . You will find PPM on the collector of either transistor, if there is a second one that PPM signal will be cleaner. Ideally you need a scope as the signal level could be anything so I would first connect the Frsky PPM lead via a resistor, say 2k2 or 3k3 and the diode they fit as standard. If this doesnt work try just the resistor. Dont try it without the resistor until you've confirmed the level with a scope trace!

If on the other hand the encoder is an NE5044 then pick up PPM from pin 11.
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:38 AM.