HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:39 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
For those who think there were no movies made before 1976 the "Quiet Man" (directed by John Ford) Starred Maureen O'Hara, John Wayne, and Ward Bond. It has been on DVD and just remastered as part of the 'Republic Classics Series.' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Man http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045061/ Yes children there were movies made before Tora Tora Tora!
Foo
FOO, you forgot to mention the Fiztgerald boys, Barry and his brother.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Holy Crap! Someone ELSE remembers Darby O'Gill & The Little People??? Back when Sean Connery still had real hair and most of it was in his eyebrows?

By the way....did you know that "The Quiet Man" was Wayne's own personal favorite of all his films?
SeaJay is offline Find More Posts by SeaJay
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Both of Maureen O'Hara's brothers were in there also! I did know about the Fitzherald's but figured with the links it would have them. Bought my wife the republic classics re-release last year, and it is always around her dvd player...... Darby O'Gill has just never captured me the same way as the Quiet Man.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:04 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Both of Maureen O'Hara's brothers were in there also! I did know about the Fitzherald's but figured with the links it would have them. Bought my wife the republic classics re-release last year, and it is always around her dvd player...... Darby O'Gill has just never captured me the same way as the Quiet Man.
Foo
Barry played the match maker who's throat was always dry and his brother played the Minister who told John Wayne about his boxing days.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
On one of our trips to Ireland, we visited the little house in the movie. There were mannequins inside representing one of the scenes from The Quiet Man---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
A great movie indeed, and miss O'hara was HAWT!!!
the sainted bride and I watch at least once a month. Im going to have to break down and get the remastered DVD, the copy I have right now is a digital transfer from VHS.

By the way.. I'm 38, and the missus 43, not a spring chicken anymore, but not that advanced in years earlier, well... a decade or so in the beer mines and making it past 35, the bod is getting a bit treacherous
but, I've been watching "old" movies all my life and have quite the collection of cheesy B grade sci-fi and horror..

Remember kids.. before there was made for video, heck, before there WAS video, you had the made for drive-in, and midnight screenings class of movies that no one was really watching anyways... if'n y'all know what I'm talking about and um... *wink* I think you do!
way back in the day, the Drive-in showed the A movie first, then after a break to get people to the snack bar the "B" movie ran of course many of us just used the intermission to ah....come up for air before the second half of tonsil hockey
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostacos View Post
tonsil hockey
Hahaha! Never heard it called that before.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
At the drive in we always referred to it as breaking in the back seat! And after that the seat was no longer a 'virgin.' Now I am depressed, I realize that we have had the wifes 'new' car for four years, and the back seat is still a virgin! LOL
Foo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,607 Posts
Quote:
At the drive in we always referred to it as breaking in the back seat! And after that the seat was no longer a 'virgin.' Now I am depressed, I realize that we have had the wifes 'new' car for four years, and the back seat is still a virgin! LOL
Foo
TMI TMI!!!
Drive ins were always great for :tonsil hocky, first base, second base, round the coner for third and then heading for home.... STOP! Meatlof had correct in "Paradise bt the dashboard lights"!!!!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2011
159 Posts
come up for air before the second half of tonsil hockey :[/QUOTE]

AKA backseat bingo
1parrothead is offline Find More Posts by 1parrothead
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:01 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Up in this area we called them ''passion pits''
Gotta ask, what happened to the 2 rescue boats in #1???????
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:17 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton View Post
Not sure about the boats Charlie, but the chatter sure turned to past memories in a hurry---.

Especially the drive-in movie stuff---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton View Post
Same as the rest of this postings with nostalgia and back seats--some thing happened and no body wants to know or talk about it now publicly..........( back room is ok though!)
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:14 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
I remember.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
If you have a small child (we have a ten year old, who can neither sit still or be quiet in a movie theater) then drive-ins are a godsend! Just give her a lawn chair and sit in front of the car. There are two drive-ins within 50 miles of us (close in South Eastern Idaho).
Foo