HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
Discussion
ArduPilot Mega 2.0 Fully Assembled System

Hey guys i am pretty new to quad copters and such I'm currently using the KK control board I am thinking about upgrading to this and have not seen it posted here on the forums its really hard to keep an watch on all this stuff as it changes so often.

What do you guys think of it? https://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_0_...lotmega-03.htm

I can not afford any of the DJI auto nave stuff and here a lot of bad mojo about it on here.

Let me know what you think...
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
What goes up...
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,019 Posts
Don't listen to the trash talk on naza. They have some decent products. Naza will be better out of the box and there gps is great. I currently have both the naza/gps and the apm v1 2560 with gps. As I'm also fairly new to multi-rotors the naza is my go to setup to just fly and have a good time. I'm currently reading alot about the apm and how to tune it to get a better flight and to get the gps and alt hold to work. My suggestion from expierence is to start with the naza. And if your not happy with it(I doubt it) you can sell it here and you would only lose a couple bux. They hold there value very well and now that the gps is out they are a sought after fc.
acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
I would not go there either. I have played with the Arduino variants and unless you are a programer and versed in code. It would not be my second choice. I would second getting a Naza. Have some fun flying and save your money for the GPS. You will be a lost happier in the long run and end up spending less money.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
Thank you guys for the info coding and so on would not be a prob for me as per i have apps in apple android and webos catalogs I would like to try the DJI stuff but i can not drop 1k on just a quad copter if it was not for the price i would go for it but i cant
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
Thank you guys for the info coding and so on would not be a prob for me as per i have apps in apple android and webos catalogs I would like to try the DJI stuff but i can not drop 1k on just a quad copter if it was not for the price i would go for it but i cant
Last time I checked, the Naza was only $230. The $1000+ unit they sell is something else.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
+1 the Naza has 3 axis gyros and 3 axis ACC with a baro sensor for $230. You can add GPS for an additional $169. The WKM sells for a little more that $1000 and had more expansion options. For most folks, the Naza plus GPS is more than enough. I fly one on my F450 FPV quad and I am now up grading my F550 hexa to GPS as well. The only thing I use my WKM for is my S800 Hexa with Data Link and waypoints. Something that you cannot do with the Naza/GPS.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,668 Posts
I have both APM2 and NAZA GPS. Ardupilot is in a ever developing/improving stage. Althought APM2 has all (and more) of the feature of DJI, it takes a lot of tuning on the PIDs to get it to work.

If you enjoy tweaking stuff, tuning, then crash, then tweak and tune again, you'll love the challenge that APM2 provide. End result if very rewarding, if you get there.

APM2 has 3 axis gyros and 3 axis ACC, a baro sensor, GPS, magnetometer, sim card logging, and many programmable ports, and support way points, and all the WKM features and more for $200. I know it's very attractive. If money is the only factor for you to choose APM, you can forget about it. I have crashed a lot more money because tuning and trying to get those features to work already.
chuenwe is offline Find More Posts by chuenwe
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
Thanks for the info guys also looked in to something called Openpilot looks very promising
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Well I'm certainly no programmer nor am I versed in PID tuning but I had my APM2 flying great within just a few batteries of setting up, really good value and some very very helpfull and knowledgable people out there too
As for comments regarding having to be a programmer, well that's just plain nonsense with the APM2 and the mission planner, in fact I don't even know how to get at the code to program it

No idea about the Naza, I'm sure it's fantastic judging by comments I've seen
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,668 Posts
Yea, you don't need to be a programmer to use APM2. Quite easy to use.

Openpilot is also very similar to APM. Both open source and have advantage and disadvantage being open source.

On the other hand, NAZA GPS is a matured commercial product. It is pretty much the lite version of their high end system that cost over $1000. It pretty much work right out of the box even without tuning.
chuenwe is offline Find More Posts by chuenwe
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
Thanks for the info guys also looked in to something called Openpilot looks very promising
Openpilot is great. But right now, unless you're willing to buy used and pay 3 times the retail price, you're not going to get one. Due to a component supply/quality issue and the consequent redesign of part of the board, there are none new to be had. They are finally starting to manufacture the new redesigned board, but they are limiting the first batch to their existing users and don't estimate having enough for anyone to be able to buy one without camping their store 24x7 until around Christmas.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I.e. screw those that aren't part of the secret Openpilot club. Maybe they should try to make it available to those that don't already have one. I want to become an 'existing user' too, if they'll let me.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
The lastest released firmware for the APM2 (v2.6 final) is by far the best in terms of stability. I finally have performance where I want it, with minimal drift in stabilize (auto-level) mode. The devs made a stability patch which has helped quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I can't try the auto pilot functions due to my GPS not seeming to get a lock any longer. But when it was working those functions were decent, never got them tuned up correctly.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
Ya i am going to order it once my old Iphone 4 sells on ebay i looks at so many and even looked at the multiwii but there are about 8 dif board with that name... But once i get the cash i will break down and get it thanks guys for all of your input