HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:17 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
Flying dog houses, broomsticks and mailboxes, Oh MY!

I've seen a couple of these things lately and would like to see more. Please put up pics, vids, and anything else that you have on flying things of this sort. And if you have kits and or plans, that would be a bonus too.

Tks
Jim
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2003, 01:25 PM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
Don't have any pics, but best I've seen was the flying superman and the flying lawnmower when Bryon use to put on his annual flyfest at Ida Grove, Ia.
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old Oct 28, 2003, 01:27 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Flying doghouses , broomsticks ,lawnmowers, stopsigns et all...........should not they be in the scale forum?

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Oct 28, 2003, 02:17 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
===Flying doghouses , broomsticks ,lawnmowers, stopsigns et all...........should not they be in the scale forum?===

No NO NO then we would have to have a flying scale!! Maybe set at 220 lbs?
Old Oct 28, 2003, 03:28 PM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 1999
232 Posts
Check out http://freespace.virgin.net/terrylee.milford

They have the oddest bunch of models I've ever seen!

Brian
Brian Lyle is offline Find More Posts by Brian Lyle
Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
To the list on that great web site, I can add:

Flying CanAM type race car
Flying catamaran, complete with sail
Flying American, or other, Flag
Flying rocket ship (old Model builder plan)
Flying carpet (much like a flying flag)

GWS now sells a Flying Fish, a flying Ladybug and a flying Pizza.

Ikarus has a flying Euro coin
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:04 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The "lawnmower" is a "Radio Control Modeler" plan, that's been built world-wide. It's little more than an ultra-low AR flying wing with trimmings, but cleverly done.

We had one in the club I started in RC with, up in Scotland. We'd use it to start many of our summer flying demos - the announcer would tell the crowd that the grass was too long to fly off, so we'd have to cut it first. The 'mower' would appear from the pits, with a guy walking along "pushing" it, and do a couple of up and down runs. Then as it faced into wind, it would accelerate, the "pusher" would end up falling over and the "mower" took off.

That got spectator attention real fast!

A few years back in England, RC ace Hanno Prettner demo'd a flying race horse at the huge model trade show held at Sandown Park - a horse race course near London. After zooming around the course some, the horse would fly high over the crowd, lift its tail and candies rained down on the crowd.

Hanno also had a downhil skier flying RC.

The witch on a broomstick was always good for a laugh too - her cape is a rogallo wing, with her broom's bristles providing cunningly disguised tailfeathers, so it flies real well.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:17 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
===the horse would fly high over the crowd, lift its tail and candies rained down on the crowd.===

Lemme guess, Tootsie rolls???

Pictures, I need Pictures.

Brian,
Cool site!!
Old Oct 28, 2003, 09:12 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Sorry Brian - pictures were published out in the RealWorld, I don't keep all the mags I've gotten over the years.

Best thing about all these wild devices is that they're mostly down to imagination and persistence - not buying. All you need is desire mostly.

About the wildest stunt I can recall was at a huge French model meeting. They flew a full pack of cards, including two jokers! All were to the same size, just flat plate 2" thick foam with a 61 on the front and big elevons on the back, to a common design. Builders were allocated a card to make sure the pack was correctly formed, and all lined up on the day and launched simultaneously - there was a shot of the pre-event line-up and the launch.

I can't recall the year, but it was well before I left England - possibly in an RCM&E mid 80's if there's any serious UK mag collectors reading.

How they got all those frequencies was not enlarged upon!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 28, 2003, 09:18 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
There are more than 52 channels if you include the HAM channels, but still, it must have been a nightmare to coordinate.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:07 PM
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Oct 2003
126 Posts
Flying Cards

Isn't that an Alice in Wonderland thing?
SafetyChain is offline Find More Posts by SafetyChain
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:24 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
I like the idea of that spectacle of a pack of cards flying around.

Did they try to form into poker hands?..did they fly inverted before being "drawn" into a hand?...

Jim, As I recall. France has a lot more frequencies than we do here in the states. Multiple bands with multiple frequecies, not counting the ham bands.

I think they fly on 41 mhz and 26 mhz as well as 72 mhz
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:34 AM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
WOW, must be nice!
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:07 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
i flew in an AMA show team in birmingham alabama for several years. We of course had some "normal" planes and helis, but we had our share of flying oddities. Witch on broomstick with bat flying around , snoopie's doghouse, flying porsche, sherrif's car, and stop sign (you can easily understand the act with those three), flying "A" with big Al the elephant as vertical fin (I attended the university of alabama , big al is the football mascott ), lawnmower, also exploding outhouse that got "bombed" by large ww1 bipes, flying flag,.. then some "normal" stuff that wasn't normal, like the RC plane complete with bridle and control lines (would takeoff as control line plane, eventually "snap" the lines (released via glider tow release), then go out of control. "control line pilot" would run over to pits and grab a big 4' horseshoe magnet and proceed to fly plane under "magnetic control". At various shows I flew this as the hidden rc pilot, and as the control line pilot,..really a great act. We also had the space shuttle towed atop a large standard plane,.. a glider tow, , an "exploding plane",..and various others. The exploding plane was very large (about size of senior telemaster), and had 4 spruce rails like longerons in the corners, holding the tail section to the front. 4 pieces of styrafoam were cut to matching panels to "sheet" the fuselage thus making it appear to be a whole airplane, that area was packed with styrafoam peanuts, and a charge installed. Farmer would walk out with shotgun (blanks of course), and fire at the plane, pilot would detonate the charge and foam would go everywhere. We also had skydivers , helicopter and standard aerobatic plane demos, and a couple deltas that would approach 200mph. Not much you can't do in modeling
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:01 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
like this?

vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1