Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
The customer is ALWAYS right!
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Apr 2012
182 Posts
Question
Porta Valarta

Hi!
I have a important question. I am visiting Mexico this year ( 20.663064,-105.2606320 ) and hoped to fly my parkzone t-28d trojan for aerial photography. The only thing stopping me is the near by airport, just a mile away. Should I worry about the airport? Should I fly? What should I do?
Vlad MAX is offline Find More Posts by Vlad MAX
Last edited by Vlad MAX; Apr 06, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:35 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goprodude View Post
Hi!
I have a important question. I am visiting Mexico this year ( 20.663064,-105.2606320 ) and hoped to fly my parkzone t-28d trojan for aerial photography. The only thing stopping me is the near by airport, just a mile away. Should I worry about the airport? Should I fly? What should I do?
Mexico is a whole different beast, so you should check their laws.

However in general, if the airport is only 1 mile away I wouldn't fly a t-28, especially for aerial photography, since you'd want to go high up. If you insist on flying anyways, definitely have a spotter. You never know when that plane will come out of no where.

and yea...you definitely don't want to go to a mexico jail, but you already know that.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,133 Posts
The fact that you asked the question shows that you are a responsible chap. I agree that a mile isn't that far from an airport and getting into trouble when you're not in your home country is probably best avoided. Even a near miss would probably be enough to get the authorities involved.

During your stay, can you travel further from the airport and fly your model from somewhere else?
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,163 Posts
I don't know where you live or if you're up on current events but south of the border is a very dangerous place now days especially for a gringo.

I wouldn't worry about the airport but the locals who might think you are flying a drone overhead with or without a cam.

Then there's those that just may want a shiny new toy.

Keeping a very low profile may be prudent.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:22 AM
The customer is ALWAYS right!
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Apr 2012
182 Posts
I guess I won't bring the plane with me, as you all have said, there can be airport safety problems, local, and even cartels who think I'm survelling them. Just not going to risk it.
Vlad MAX is offline Find More Posts by Vlad MAX
Last edited by Vlad MAX; Apr 08, 2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
313 Posts
Just so you get where you intend to go to, it is spelled:
PUERTO VALLARTA!
EloyM is offline Find More Posts by EloyM
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
And it's pronounced;

Poo-air-tow Vye-art-ah. Best of luck with your trip. Be really careful down there!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I responded to you in the other threat but you didn't say where you were going other than Mexico, and I didn't feel like looking up the GPS coordinates you gave. You'll like Puerto Vallarta just fine without having a plane. It's a cool city, I wish I had been able to spend more than a day there when I was visiting on a cruise last year.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort