SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
thanks for the help buying these right now.
Ls2.350z is offline Find More Posts by Ls2.350z
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
117 Posts
So I picked this setup as a way to into fpv. I was planning on using the bixler as my platform. My question is if I put carbonfiber in the bixler to reinforce it Will this cause any kind of issues?
Horse feathers is offline Find More Posts by Horse feathers
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
Well, i`m still in the process of setting up. The field of view is a lot smaller in the googles than i thought it would be. My neck is sore from the panning, turning my head left and right for testing the headtracker. I wish i could adj. expo. to limit my range of motion on my neck, but still see left to right with less head movement. I`m using an old Hitec 6 channel fm RX. I have a Futaba Cap 7 radio. On channel 6 i have a flaps spin knob and i can only turn it by hand to get up and down tilt. I can`t seem to get it to work automatically like the pan. My channel 6 is preset to stay on the flaps knob. Any ideas?
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
I flew my little hex today with the Pred 100mW VTx and home made CP antennas. The video quality still isn't that great, but better than the stock antennas. Perhaps I just need to get a 600mW 5.8G VTx for it. Maybe in the future. For now I think I'll use my Preds either wired or with the VTx as a wireless ground station. I'm getting ready to go on vacation and am planning on taking a quad with me for some FPV flights. I'll be using my 1280GHz setup and, probably, my MyVu glasses. I'll play with the Preds more after my return.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
Anyone has a comment about the 100 versus the 600mW that has both? Is it that much clearer with`in close distance at set up?
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Anyone has a comment about the 100 versus the 600mW that has both? Is it that much clearer with`in close distance at set up?
I can say my 100mW setup isn't impressing me. It's better with my home made CP antennas...better than the stock ones at least. I'd love to try the 600mW ones to compare. It seems everyone is out of stock on them though so...I'll just have to wait or just use my 5.8G stuff as a wireless ground station and stick to my 1280MHz video equipment.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
R/C CRASHER
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Dec 2004
854 Posts
I got my 600mw yesterday and tried it out in a Slash, First the video quality is clear, but anytime I get behind a car or tree the video gets some static (I expect that with the 5.8.) My 3PK futaba 2.4g TX lost signal before I lost signal on the 600mw. I never drove the Slash that far away from me before, but the video was crystal clear. If I have to give a distance it was more then half a mile. I attempted to do the same with my 100mw and after 350ft I started loosing signal, I dont know what the max distance is on my 2.4 spectrum ground system is but after half a mile lost signal. I will try it again with a 72mhz TX, need to find a long stretch road to test distance. but Im happy so far. Im also getting use to the preds video quality, But since bought a 10 inch screen and the dual RX and going back and forth, I am still waiting on the patch antenna for the peds so I can test it out.
tkoguy is offline Find More Posts by tkoguy
Last edited by tkoguy; Feb 26, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adroc3905 View Post
So if I am using a 3s 5000mah flight pack I can run a power lead direct from the flight pack to the camera (or do I need some kind of filter) for my 12v source and then use only the ground from the vTX?

A filter is a good idea, sometimes the camera's will get lines in there video if they get dirty power.

That said, yes you can do that. I would try it without the filer first. Just make sure you don't send 12V through the camera connector on the transmitter.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
dirtnap

My fpv plane took a dirtnap for a week. Just got it back today.

I got it about 500 meters downrange before I lost video and augered it in. This was with the 100mW vtx and CL/SPW antennas.
xatled99 is offline Find More Posts by xatled99
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Welp, ever since I bought my Predators I haven't been able to make them work properly. I zapped them with 12v once, they were repaired under warranty even though they shouldn't have been.

Long story short, they work fine for just video. But they no longer beep when powered up, they used to just two weeks ago. I can not enter the menu by holding the center button and the headtracker has NEVER worked for me. Nothing on my Turnigy 9X using the stock firmware and nothing with er9x. What to do... G******n this is frustrating.
So the price on the Preds seems tempting, but they seem to have limitations (no Foxtech Tx, limited HT compatibility) ... perhaps worth it to spend $350 on AIO instead? (I just bought the AIO)
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:56 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Haven't tested flying range, but I'm not too impressed with the colors on the camera, anyone care to share a good camera upgrade.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xatled99 View Post
My fpv plane took a dirtnap for a week. Just got it back today.

I got it about 500 meters downrange before I lost video and augered it in. This was with the 100mW vtx and CL/SPW antennas.
You're doing better than me. I don't trust my 100mW setup for even a few hundred feet out. It's better with the CL/SPW vs the stock antennas, but still not what I'd be comfortable flying any distance on. I get glitches, video fades, white outs, etc. I think the 100mW will be okay as a wireless ground station or real close in flying...but certainly not any type of distance...meaning 100yds/meters or more. I'm using mine on a quadcopter, so perhaps the lower altitude has something to do with the more limited range I've experienced.

As for the camera...I'm not impressed with it either. Mainly the FOV is to narrow on it. Swapping to a wider lens would probably make it a better camera for FPV, but as is...well...I'm not using mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
So what camera are you useing?
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Haven't tested flying range, but I'm not too impressed with the colors on the camera, anyone care to share a good camera upgrade.
This one looks awesome for the price. Everyone who has one seems to love it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=569
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
So the price on the Preds seems tempting, but they seem to have limitations (no Foxtech Tx, limited HT compatibility) ... perhaps worth it to spend $350 on AIO instead? (I just bought the AIO)
Predator HT compatibility is the same as the AIO goggle. Compatibility is due to the RC radio, not the head tracker.
Being compatible with the Airwaves frequencies is an asset, not a limitation. Get a pair of clovers, 600mW ImmersionRC TX and you have a beautiful 1km rock solid system.
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark