HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:21 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
First off yes it is an easy motor to replace, and the BL that I listed is an inrunner that bolts right in place, too bad the stock electronics can not run it.... But having more authority is great, although it does reduce the low wind thermal greatly.

As for 250-300 meters, I can vouch it goes further than that, I have flown with the stock set up to the point it was just a speck, hold the rudder for about 2-3 seconds and wait to see where it is going to figure out the direction it is pointing, mind you I have 20/5 vision so I can see @ 20 feet what most can see @ 5 makes flying gliders high much easier for me I suppose.
A couple of Qs...
Does the inrunner motor you used bolt right into the stock motor mount?
Does the stock propeller fit on this I runner motor? If not, which version?
Do you use the 350mHa zippy packs?

I have purchased the Turnigy 6A ESC, an outrunner motor (same as another user mounted in a Surfer) and spare stock propeller. Still need to purchase a 415Rx and servos. If the inrunner you have works well, I might try this.

With the added weight of the components, the wing loading is going to increase and glide ratio will decrease. Not that it is perfect stock. One thing this little Surfer could use is better wind penetration. Stiffer wider wings, stiffer fuselage and a little more weight. With the increased power and good programable Tx / Rx might be a really good thermal sailplane.

That's awesome about your sailpane vision! You could help me spot when I fly my Radian in thermals, 2,394ft was my record this summer
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
And, supermoth, you are right in buying that extra prop. It is quite sturdy, but as shown it may have other, not so obvious shortcomings.

Sorry for longish post, just though it might be useful for someone...

G.
Thanks again for your advice.I agree with you.After reading about all the mishaps with my last HK order I got as well a prop replacement.Just in case.
As I already commented ,another friend lost its prop in a matter of a couple flights.
I must be lucky after 10 flights not a sinle prop problem,except for the folding issue.
Next weekend I'll be back in bussiness again and I will report.

Have a great weekend!!!.

Cheers.
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Some photos from last Sunday before the corn grabbed my Surfer. Professional photography work by markusvt - thanks!

Beautiful picture.I'd love to have the prop folded perfectly as it is in your S.Surfer.
I got yesterday the foam paint kit in red so as soon as practicable I will try to emulate your great job.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
A couple of Qs...

That's awesome about your sailpane vision! You could help me spot when I fly my Radian in thermals, 2,394ft was my record this summer
Yikes !!!! how did you manage to retrive your bird back?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Brilliant! Thank you for this remedy with the motor. You might also want to put one small drop of oil on the bronze bushings front and rear of the motor.

Yes, all good with the photos. If you click through, the larger version is nice.

I used a Polar Grape Diet soda bottle. I think it is 1 liter, fits perfectly. Look back in this thread for my building photos.

Thanks, somehow I had missed (forgotten?...) those posts of yours. I don't have a clue what Polar Grape Diet soda is (a disgusting drink for sure...), but will be looking rather close at any plastic bottle I find in the supermarkets.

Should I break-in the new motor (usual recipe, 2 AA batteries in series for 1 hour or until they are spent)? I can still do it, did not fly the plane after I replaced the motor. Does any of you usually break-in their new motors?

G.
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:59 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
Yikes !!!! how did you manage to retrive your bird back?
Load of down elevator! The Radian comes down pretty well, just have to keep it in vision.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFaria View Post
Thanks, somehow I had missed (forgotten?...) those posts of yours. I don't have a clue what Polar Grape Diet soda is (a disgusting drink for sure...), but will be looking rather close at any plastic bottle I find in the supermarkets.

Should I break-in the new motor (usual recipe, 2 AA batteries in series for 1 hour or until they are spent)? I can still do it, did not fly the plane after I replaced the motor. Does any of you usually break-in their new motors?

G.
Polar Grape is not that disgusting, I only got it for the plastic bottle, at least there isn't any sugar in it!

Break in method is old school, nice. I used to do that with my old brushed hydro boat motors. I didn't break mine in, but you might get more rpm's if you do, right?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Beautiful picture.I'd love to have the prop folded perfectly as it is in your S.Surfer.
I got yesterday the foam paint kit in red so as soon as practicable I will try to emulate your great job.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.
You're welcome, I'll post up a PDF of the graphics file so you can print out and stick on too.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
You're welcome, I'll post up a PDF of the graphics file so you can print out and stick on too.
That's great!!!. Thanks a lot.
Quick question though.How could you protect your stickers once applied to the aircraft against the sand?.At the moment my only suitable field is the beach and with the original decals the sand is getting all over the place.

Cheers.
Last edited by supermoth; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
New Sky Surfer Futaba Ready

Hi there.
Does anybody know if this new flavour of the Sky Surfer is compatible with a Fasst Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz?

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
That's great!!!. Thanks a lot.
Quick question though.How could you protect your stickers once applied to the aircraft against the sand?.At the moment my only suitable field is the beach and with the original decals the sand is getting all over the place.

Cheers.
I printed the stickers out on a ink jet printer, then laminated over with clear packing tape.

What beach do you fly from? Is there a good cliff too for slope soaring?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:33 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Hi there.
Does anybody know if this new flavour of the Sky Surfer is compatible with a Fasst Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz?

Thanks
You would need to replace the Nine Eagles micro Rx / Rudder / Elevator unit with a Futaba FASST Rx and then use micro servos so you could use the Futaba Tx / Rx.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
My Sky Surfer is stuck high up in a tall tree forever. Even a guy with a big truck, with a crane on, did't get it down. He smash and bend the tree several times with the heavy 12m crane, but still up there.
Maybe it was time to retire it. Last time i flew it, it didn't react as it should on the controls. And today it was even worse, plus a little wind. That always blows our model in to the wood behind the field. Myths tells about a wood full of models hanging in trees, since the war, up til today.
Short time after, the same wind blew my UM T-28 in a tree too. But not so high, so tomorrow it's resque operation. Two models in trees at the same day! Not my day. I hate that field, but the other members like to fly there, because of the short grass for take off. Ans it's nice to have someone to fly with. But they have the tree problems almost every day, stubborn old guys. I move to the neighbor field, much bigger. And no trees!
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Last edited by ArneHu; Sep 21, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
You would need to replace the Nine Eagles micro Rx / Rudder / Elevator unit with a Futaba FASST Rx and then use micro servos so you could use the Futaba Tx / Rx.
What I mean is the new version that just came out.It comes with a Futaba compatible brick. http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...44&language=en
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
I printed the stickers out on a ink jet printer, then laminated over with clear packing tape.

What beach do you fly from? Is there a good cliff too for slope soaring?
I just fly in Barcelona,Spain.I have the mountains not far away,but I usually get good winds which helps when it is hot.My average flying time with one standard batt is around 25 min.My front door is right at the beach so with my work time constraints is just perfect for flying when the beach is quiet and no people are around.
I just have another Cliff nearby but I have a bunch of obstacles around among others big power lines which for me are a big no no..