SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
Finally getting into FPV, and selecting my first FPV setup!

Hey, I've been flying 3D planes for a few years, all Depron Foamies and a few EDF jets. I finally Decided I would try FPV after reading up on it for a long time.

I worked out what gear I would like to get on (a very tight) budget, which I listed below. I'm looking forward to your feedback, incase I've made a major oversight in my setup or my wallet!

This is what I currently own and plan to fly as my FPV platform:
*I'll be upgrading to something else after I get used to flying, as I'm pretty sure it can carry the extra weight.
64mm EDF Mig-15 (24x24 inches)

My main FPV Gear: Approx: $600 USD
Custom FPV Starter Package: 900MHz
* RMRC-540 Camera (with built in video settings OSD)
* 900MHz 500mW Transmitter (set at 910MHz for US/Canada sales)
* 900MHz Receiver
* 8dBi Patch Antenna
* 460mAh 3s batteries (2) or 500mAh 3s batteries (2) depending on availability
* FatShark RCV922 Video googles

* Also adding a 3dBi whip antenna for flying around myself (I'll change between the patch and the whip as needed before flight).

Note* It's winter here, so I was hoping to possibly pilot this thing from inside my car - since I have a ridiculously bad tolerance to cold in my hands due to poor circulation. The video gear won't have any problems, but my Radio TX is a problem.

---

I've been using a Spektrum DX7 up till now, and rather then add a 1watt booster to it ($70 mod).. I think I might now need new radio system. lol. I would be selling my DX7 for a Futuba 7ch or 9ch, however there are a dozen different models in both 72mhz and 2.4ghz, and I really don't know what would be ideal for me. I really only need one that can do that test pattern thing (test pattern of back and forth movements on a servo channel), and can accept a head-tracker. I would also need the ability to mount the antenna externally on a tripod with a relatively cheap mod - piped back to the radio, but I'm sure that's for another thread post.

Thanks for your input!
Pitchback is offline Find More Posts by Pitchback
Last edited by Pitchback; Dec 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:26 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchback View Post
This is what I currently have to fly as my FPV platform:
*I'll be upgrading to something else after I get used to flying, as I'm pretty sure it can carry the extra weight.
64mm EDF Mig-15 (24x24 inches)
May want to start with something a bit more glider'ish. Sure you've been flying 3d, but it's nothing compared to FPV. I flew pattern for a few years before making the switch. I've flown a few 55mm and 64mm jets. Both are pretty tame vs some stuff you can get into with FPV.

Start with the Star series (Easy Star, Twin Star) or grab a Skywalker (Full or Mini). The Skywalker is roughly the same price as the Mig. Once you're used to the perspective and flying FPV, switch back to the Jets. I'd hate to see you bust up a perfectly good jet and get discouraged.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
May want to start with something a bit more glider'ish. Sure you've been flying 3d, but it's nothing compared to FPV. I flew pattern for a few years before making the switch. I've flown a few 55mm and 64mm jets. Both are pretty tame vs some stuff you can get into with FPV.

Start with the Star series (Easy Star, Twin Star) or grab a Skywalker (Full or Mini). The Skywalker is roughly the same price as the Mig. Once you're used to the perspective and flying FPV, switch back to the Jets. I'd hate to see you bust up a perfectly good jet and get discouraged.

Haha, yeahhh... Sorry, I edited the page to say I already owned the Mig-15.

The mig-15 actually has some really great gliding characteristics for an EDF, it is also incredibly durable and easy to fix. It tops out at about 35ish-mph WOT and weighs about a pound. I was going to use it because it's already quite beat up, but it stills flys very straight. I was actually worried about wrecking a new plane, lol. It has more then adequate protection for my FPV equipment, and I'm sure it will wear out soon enough either way. I was honestly just hoping it would be slow enough. From what I have read, most people start with either an easystar or a plane they are very familiar with. All i have is the ladder :/

*also worth noting I had installed a cheap $30 ebay camera on it with Velcro and made about 10 flights. I hoped this would help me get used to what I should expect to see when making the move to FPV. Unfortunately the cheepy camera was zoomed very far in, so it was always hard to see the ground and the sky together. The first thing I learned from that was that you can see a whole lot of stuff you never knew was there, and to pick out your landmarks accordingly.
Pitchback is offline Find More Posts by Pitchback
Last edited by Pitchback; Dec 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM.