HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
So... what do I do on a crappy flying weekend??
Work on my next FPV plane: The 67" Penguin from ReadyMade RC.

Had the chance to maiden her 2 days ago.... really stable flier and will fly an easy 30min on 3s 6000 mah batteries.
D-Man
30 Minutes! That's great, did you concentrate any on throttle management or other efforts to conserve juice or did you get that with just typical flying? What size motor?
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:49 PM
Flarpy
Kitsap County
Joined Nov 2010
761 Posts
Damn. Is the penguin the plane that dude uses in Grand Canyon? You know the guy,, Gopro, super sweet flights to music, dipping in and out of the arches.
flarpy is offline Find More Posts by flarpy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
What fpv setups you guys use? I just got a 5.8g system for my first.
Like egaus I'm using 1.3gHz (1.280). I'm running a 400mw RMRC Vtx and I have a 1500mw for my new plane. The camera is a sony super had ccd 690tvl and I've also got a pixm seawolf on the way. On the receiver side, I have two RMRC 1.3 RX's hooked through an Eagle Eyes diversity video splitter. I'm using circular polarized antennas on everything and I view it all through either a 9" Pyle monitor or a pair of Fatshark R922 goggles.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:01 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarpy View Post
Damn. Is the penguin the plane that dude uses in Grand Canyon? You know the guy,, Gopro, super sweet flights to music, dipping in and out of the arches.
Flarpy,
Most of those flights (and others like them from Team Black Sheep) are done with
the Ritewing Zephyr ZII.

Eric's ZII set up is awesome and I almost went for the Zephyr but was drawn to the Penguin for its ease of build, low cost and my current FPV goal is to fly close in (1/2 mile to 1mile max). For that the Penguin is perfect.

Rightwing is coming out with a larger version of the Zephyr II at 81"... I'll be watching that closely and who knows... I may end up with a Ritewing yet!

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:24 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
with regards to large wings for FPV..
this one is becoming quite popular.
huge payload capacity for cams, electronics and flight packs

http://www.fpvflying.com/products/Black-X8-Wing.html

lots of youtube video's on it now
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Sep 2012
941 Posts
:Hi my name is Earl & I am now a crack addict.

I contacted the crack dealer & pulled the trigger on my new indoor habit.
I ordered the Std Crack Yak / 24g motor / 12a ESC / 4g Digital Servos / 9g Digital Servo.

What are fellow crack addicts running in regards to the following?
- Lipo Brand? / 2or3S? / 325or450 Mah? / JST or Deans?
- Prop Brand? / Dia? / Pitch?
- Are you running landing gear?
- Is there another source for the carbon fiber control horn & motor mount upgrade?

Thanks for the info hook up fellow crack addicts.
Mr Whirl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Whirl
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,842 Posts
Im hooked on multi's lately, my camera will be here tomorrow so I can really get this thing mounted up, probably try it on my radian or t28 first. The field behind my house goes about 3/4 mile, should be fun chasing some wildlife around.

FPV flight 7 km, MPX Easy Star, 5.8 gHz, 200mW. (7 min 32 sec)
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
crazy what you can do with 5.8ghz and a decent patch antenna
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
30 Minutes! That's great, did you concentrate any on throttle management or other efforts to conserve juice or did you get that with just typical flying? What size motor?
Joe..

30 minutes is a combo of low to no throttle and full out aerobatics (as much as the Penguin will do that is).

If I were to baby it I bet I could eek 40 minutes out of a flight.

Motor I'm using with a 9X6 APC and 2 3000mah 30c 3cell Nano's:
Turnigy D3536/5 1450KV

Any other questions.. let me know
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,596 Posts
Thanks D-Man, I appreciate the info, I'm getting ready to drop the servos into HK's Eagle FVP and may want to copy your motor/prop selection
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2008
287 Posts
i got tired of searching through all the posts so ill just ask. What did you guys think the optimum set up for the 32" crack yak was? the lite version or regular? 2s or 3s?
harv_d is online now Find More Posts by harv_d
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
774 Posts
not sure on the crack yak set up but i know the slicko is really fun on 3s, check out rcplanebuilder.com harv they are in the middle of setting up v2 of it and from what i can see of v1 it should be good

indoors with the slicko (2 min 47 sec)

oh and i thought you guys might get a kick out of the night flight geno did tonight(the damage isnt that bad), also here is the vid of geno trying out my new slicko today. i wanted to see what it would do in skilled hands.

geno playing in the dark (1 min 30 sec)
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
Joined Sep 2012
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv_d View Post
i got tired of searching through all the posts so ill just ask. What did you guys think the optimum set up for the 32" crack yak was? the lite version or regular? 2s or 3s?
Fellow crackhead. I got tried of crusing thru the build thread as well.
I sent Kody & Tim a PM asking their opinion. I will post their response if they don't.

Did you catch the tip about strengthening as well as loosening up the control surface hinges?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=838

I am going to replace the wood wing spar with carbon fiber ordered from The Composite Store. http://www.cstsales.com/Carbon_Fiber_Strips-ss3.html

I am also considering using very light mico ball links (minus the threaded coupler to save weight) to attach to the carbon fiber control rods instead of using the Twisted Hobbys adjustable control horn links.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-047-2--DUB929
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Control...-End-Links.htm
Last edited by Mr Whirl; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
Fellow crackhead. I got tried of crusing thru the build thread as well.
I sent Kody & Tim a PM asking their opinion. I will post their response if they don't.

Did you catch the tip about strengthening as well as loosening up the control surface hinges?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=838

I am going to replace the wood wing spar with carbon fiber ordered from The Composite Store. http://www.cstsales.com/Carbon_Fiber_Strips-ss3.html

I am also considering using very light mico ball links (minus the threaded coupler to save weight) to attach to the carbon fiber control rods instead of using the Twisted Hobbys adjustable control horn links.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-047-2--DUB929
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Control...-End-Links.htm
Hey Lee,
You should consider using the Twisted hobby adjustable on one end and a short piece of Z bent wire on the other. This is how I (and Flop I think) set up the DW foamies and it works great as well as being light. I can post a couple how-to pics if you like after I get home.
...Just a couple cents...
Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
Joined Sep 2012
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Hey Lee,
You should consider using the Twisted hobby adjustable on one end and a short piece of Z bent wire on the other. This is how I (and Flop I think) set up the DW foamies and it works great as well as being light. I can post a couple how-to pics if you like after I get home.
...Just a couple cents...
Mark
Do you get any control surface slop from the z-bend & does the adjustable link bind at high angles? If not it would certainly be a lighter & simpler solution. Thanks for the info.