New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2015, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by gwlundgren
United States, PA, Johnstown
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
Blade 360CFX Converting to 3 Blade Rotor - Swashplate Glitch

I got to the last step of removing the 4 screws on the swashplate. I am unable to remove the center part so I can put in the new parts for the 3 blade rotor. According to the animated illustration, it should just come apart. Mine will not. I am afraid to apply any prying pressure against anything. I don't want to damage this part in case I decide to go back to two blades.

How does this come apart? Is it some kind of press fit? How do I get that apart?

Thanks, Gary
gwlundgren is offline Find More Posts by gwlundgren
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2015, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,833 Posts
I don't know about Blade but some helis use press fit. Small drift pin punch and out they come.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 03, 2015, 09:50 AM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Thanks. I submitted the question to Horizon Hobby also. It takes them days to reply. I'll see what they say. They seem to present it as an easy conversion to do, based on their animated illustration on youtube.
360 CFX - 3 Blade Head Conversion - Exploded View (0 min 59 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
I found it on my own, you have to remove the swashplate from the main shaft to take it apart. The upper part does slip off, albeit a tight fit, it does come off with a little help from a small flat blade screwdriver. To replace the bottom part of that the swashplate, it has to be off the main shaft. Easy enough to do. Got it back together with 3 blades now. Will have to do a test flight.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,833 Posts
Looks good and hope it works well for you. Is there a real advantage to this ? Not trying to be pain. More stuff to go wrong and added blade. I have a Scale heli Walkera 4f200 LM has three bladed head. It was made that way. I noticed you need to be careful as head is working all the time.
Even on spool down need be careful to stay with bird till blades stop.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 06, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
More Flights = Less Crashing
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
5,141 Posts
Mine flies awesome with the stock 2 blade head, even with the super low head speed on 3S.

Still want the conversion though, just for the bling.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Last edited by Steve_; Aug 06, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,871 Posts
It's also nice if you want to model an AS-350, a Hughes 300, a Llama, or any helicopter that has a three blade head.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Aug 07, 2015, 03:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Well, 3 blade is cool. I've heard it gives better stability and agility for 3D. I'm not into 3D yet myself.