New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
Build Log
1/4 TA-152H scratch build (125% Anderson plans)

Since the pancakes are getting closer to being done and the F-14 needs a bunch of CAD time and Money to finish it, i started planning the next project back in may.. I'm a FW-190 nut, so why not do the Premier 190 in the form of the TA-152H and then take a known performer in scale competition and good flyer and make it (better?) bigger by blowing it up 125%! It didn't help either than Evan twisted my arm a bit when he found out my evil plans and offered to buy two...

First up was getting the anderson plans and enlarging them 125%. This gives an airplane with the following dimensions:

142.5" wingspan
107.5" Long

Maybe 125% is a bit to big? NEVER! plus its a three piece wing, so it makes it doable

I also took a few nights to draw up a VERY detailed set of CNC machined main landing gear struts for the TA-152 as the Sierra gear just wouldn't look right IMO on this thing. Price wise, they will be within $100-200 of the Sierra gear and will have ALL of the gear door mounting bosses and detail you would see on the real strut machined into them.

For reference, i'm using the following two books:

And purchases this "blue-print" DVD set off ebay, it contains a good bit of prints, but not a complete set like you would expect by reading their description of it:

Then I took the plans, had then scanned and began converting some of the parts into CAD for laser cutting. Basically all of the wing parts are laser cut, while the fuselage parts and vertical stab parts were hand cut. The Horizontal stab ribs were modified to allow a 2 piece removable stab and cut on my CNC router. The stab was then built (over 2 months ago!) in about a 2 night stint.

Then using some 1/4" Luan underlayment all of the fuselage and cowl bulkheads were cut:

Then the balsa tail parts and thin ply portions were cut out to give a complete fuselage and tail section short kit:

I also received my laser cut wing ribs a few weeks ago.. The balsa ribs are 3/16" with a 1/8" ply and 1/16" ply doublers to "sandwhich" the ribs:

And a HUGE box of balsa arrived as well as some 1/4"x1" and 1/2"x1" Spruce for the wing spars:

That pretty much brings everyone up to date.. I'm waiting on the wing tubes and sockets to arrive, then I can begin building up the first wing panels so I can have all of the sub-assemblies needed for the fuselage.

Which brings me to the next bit of the project.. Since Evan is getting two and i'm building my own, i'm going to detail and mold the fuselage (which means Fiberglass short kits will be available, pricing already determined ) . In order to help offset some of the costs of the tooling and the landing gear design, i'm thinking of doing a kickstart project to help offset this cost. In this kickstart project, will be a few different rewards (a pair of 1/4 and 1/5 Rivet "burners), DVD how-to series of Detailed (much more detailed than what i put on youtube or build logs) plug construction, detailing, molding, vacuum bagging etc, and of course some TA-152 short kits (and short kits with landing gear)... If any of you guys are interested, i'd like to hear as the interest dictates whether i take the time to do them or not.

Also since the Pancakes are not done yet, this is a project that gets attention while the pancakes have stuff drying on them, so it will probably be early to mid fall before things Really start to progress onwards (i was hoping for late august, but life (mostly work) keeps getting in the way).
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2014, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,385 Posts
Man that is a BIG box O Wood
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 04, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Man that is a BIG box O Wood
Its all 48" long stock to! That bill was just under $700!
Old Aug 05, 2014, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Hemikiller
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
its all 48" long stock to! That bill was just under $700!
ouch!
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:32 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
While filler was drying on the. V173's, i fiddled with the 3D printer and started printing the beginnings of the 1/4 scale TA152/FW190 retract mechanism. Here are a few photos:

The retract mechanism consists of 3/16" aluminum side plates with a 5/8" hole for an oil-lite bronze bushing for the 1/2" pivot axle. The frames are bolted to a pair of 1/4" thick L brackets with a total twelve 4-40 bolts with an additional Eight 6-32 bolts to mount the entire thing to the gear plate. The trunnion is roughly 1/2" thick steel (possibly titanium, i need to do the stress analysis before i make up my mind),(which has yet to be printed). The slider is 3/8" round brass. The cylinder can be either a 5/8 or 3/4" bore industrial clippard cylinder (or a set of firgelli linear actuators for those wanting electric.

For the Ta152, there are two mounting options without any changes having to be made to the retracts.

1: Cylinder facing opposite of the strut:

2: cylinder on the same side of the strut (forgive me for having the mechanism upside down, i dont have the second one printed and didnt want to change the assembly in this one to show it in the same top down orientation as option 1):

Personally, i will probably mount my gear as in option #1. This allows very easy maintenance to the cylinder connetions without having to remove the landing gear and gives a nearly 100% open area for a completely scaled out gear well. The material left around the opening in this rib is sufficient to not reduce the strength any and the Merlyn locks can be completely hidden from view inside the wheel well, with a second in the flap well, so no external fasteners will be required for wing attachment!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
The pivot axle bushings and trunnion were printed last night, the slider is on the printer now.

Like i said earlier, the axle is 1/2" diameter steel (im using scrap aluminum in the mockup). The trunnion has a pair of 8-32 bolts that clamp it onto the axle. In retrospect, i will probably have a flat filed onto the axle and leave a flat section of material in the trunnion so the two "key together" and can not rotate. Im not sure if this is 100% necessary, but it seems like a good idea to me

The trunnion is a full 1" thick with two indentations that allow the bronze axle bushings to inset into the trunnion roughly .060". This keeps all chances of sideplay within the assembly to a minimum.

For down locks, we have not only the over centering of the slider bar over the trunnion, the trunnion also hits the retract end bracket under the cylinder mount legs providing a very effective and positive lock. If you break one of these retract units, you have really done something! Typically i like to design in some sort of weak link, but on an airplane of this size and weight, that weak link will need to be the mounting structure as the time involved in the machining of these struts is pretty high.

Heres more photos

Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
The retract slider is printed. This thing is 3/8" in diameter and has a 10-32 tapped hole in it for the cylinder rod. The bolt is just to make moving it easier since i dont have the cylinder on hand. Any actuator with a 2" strong and with a diameter or max width of 7/8" will fit within the frames. Electric versions should be a piece of cake!

The first half of the upper landing gear strut is printing now, i had to split it in half due to it being 286mm long (11.25")... Now i am going to promptly make sure the strut is sized properly. Lol

Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:44 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
I had a slight blowout with the firsr attempt at the top half of the upper strut do to the thing popping off the build platform and turning into plastic spaghetti, so here is attempt two. The door attachment bosses didnt turn out as nice on this one because i turned the speed up to turn the 6 hour print into a 4 1/2 hour print.

Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,385 Posts
Cool stuff..its crazy how much the hobby has changed in the last 10 years..whole new world and level of modeling!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
Attempt #3... Fail. ABS plastic sucks to print with as it is a bit of a bear to keep it stuck to the build plate... So i cut the strut into three different pieces and 4" tall instead of two 6"ish pieces. The upper 4" is printing now, but while I modifed the print files, i printed the scissor links.. I already had to make one change to the lower scissor link, this is what makes the 3D printer worth it.

Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
I'm doing a kickstarter on some things (flush rivet burners, How to DVD's, 152 Shortkits) any help you guys may or may not be interested in providing would be appreciated

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-a-1-4-ta152h
Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
The entire first landing gear is now printed:

Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
I'm slowly working on things for the TA while i finish up the pancakes..

Here is a shot of the Cowl Nose ring drawn in Cad. This will be cut into four sections (so it will fit my print area) and 3D printed. It will then be glued to the wooden cowl ring section of the cowl, glassed and all the panel line stuff done.

And for those wondering, the shape of this part is 100% accurate as I used original Focke Wulf factory drawings to draw this part.

Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,814 Posts
The first part of the top cowl louvers has been printed. I need to correct the louver cutouts now with some extra parts to be printed out and glued in to give it that "ramp", then this part will be done.

The aft side isnt a perfect arc like the front, this was verified with actual focke wulf drawings as well.

Old Sep 09, 2014, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by perttime
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,460 Posts
Great subject!
Way beyond my current means, unfortunately, but I'm planning to follow the progress anyway.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime