HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Build Log
Rayne Mk.I 3D Foamie

So today I decided to build my first Foamie, I posted a thread lastnight "didgeridoo wallamoroo". Basically just combined random parts into something that didn't look half bad. Today it was wet and rainy, below VFR mins so I didn't go out and fly. Decided to go buy some foam board and cut out something that resembled an unlimited monowing aerobatic foamie.

I didn't use any plans and didn't really have the correct place or tools for the job but I made due!
At first I wanted to do an Extra type body, but it then turned into more of an Edge looking airframe as time passed.
I came up with the dimensions as I went along, only time will tell if this thing will "fly"....
Fuselage 18" long 4.5" wide
Wings 28" long at leading edge
Horizontal stab 9" long at leading edge.
Not sure about angles etc. all I used was a measuring tape X-ACTO knife and piece of square alluminum for a straight edge.

I haven't glued or added the guts yet, I will post more as the project progresses!
Enjoy the photos of it so far.

TheOstronomer is offline Find More Posts by TheOstronomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:20 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,363 Posts
Hello !
I'm sure it will be fun to fly !

For "3D" may be a longer distance between the front 1/3 chord of the wing and the front 1/3 chord of the horizontal stabilizer would have increased stability on the pitch axis.
As this, the plane will be VERY reactive on the pitch axis, in my opinion.

I look forward ;-) !!
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Yeah wasn't sure about rules/ratios to use so I just eyeballed it and we'll see how it all works out. I plan on using the motor and servos from a wrecked UMX Carbon Cub with AS3X
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Painted her and mocked up the motor and AS3X. Need to get longer servo links but it's starting to look like something that could possibly stay airborne.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
770 Posts
I'm with dreamcatcher, this one's gonna be pretty responsive in pitch.
That being said, I've built several "Sharkbait"'s, which are VERY short coupled, and they were all a blast to fly. Use lots of EXPO on your elevator, and you should be fine.
Keep going, looks great so far!
jonesymj is online now Find More Posts by jonesymj
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Yeah like I said she's my first scratch build and had no idea what I was going to end up with so it should be interesting! Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
So with foam board what would be the best way to make control surface hinges. I was just going to you use fiber tape, any links or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Really bros? Nothing.....?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
764 Posts
Use Blenderm medical tape. The fiberglass reinforced tape does not stand up well to the sun.
Chatenever is online now Find More Posts by Chatenever