HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2007
66 Posts
It's not an 7XS, it's a 7S- they are the slightly longer motor. They fit the cowling if you bolt the motor directly to the fire-wall (it is drilled for both the X-mount and the direct engine).

I'm running an APC 20x10.
RosscoW is offline Find More Posts by RosscoW
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2015, 03:28 PM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Recommended ESC?

Outfitting my new MythoS 125e with the A60-7XS motor, Falcon 19x12 carbon prop, and 8S batteries. What ESC are you having the best luck with?
Cactusblues is offline Find More Posts by Cactusblues
Old Mar 07, 2015, 05:48 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
I fly Jeti DC-16 so I go with Mezon ESC's in my pattern planes so I have real time telemetry from the ESC.
Otherwise I would go Jeti Master Spin Pro 77 or 90
Or perhaps a YGE ESC

Anything but Castle ... I won't put those in anything I fly.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2015, 07:27 AM
SAB
United Kingdom, Inverclyde
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusblues View Post
Outfitting my new MythoS 125e with the A60-7XS motor, Falcon 19x12 carbon prop, and 8S batteries. What ESC are you having the best luck with?
I originally used the Hacker A60-5S on 8S with an OS 100A ESC - changed to the A60-7XS when they became available to save weight - 125g ! - However the OS ESC wouldn't work with this motor - both motors are 28 poles & the OS ESC is known to have issues with 28 poles, don't know why it worked with one motor but not the other. So I used a CC ICE 100 that I had - took some messing with the parameters to get that working OK but so far working well - 2600W also with the Falcon 19x12 (great prop).

Steve
SAB is offline Find More Posts by SAB
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Steve, what "messing with the parameters" were needed to get the Castle ESC working with the 7XS motor? I like the Castle stuff I've used up to this point, but I keep hearing that it doesn't do well with the Hacker A60 motors.
Old Mar 08, 2015, 06:12 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
9,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusblues View Post
Steve, what "messing with the parameters" were needed to get the Castle ESC working with the 7XS motor? I like the Castle stuff I've used up to this point, but I keep hearing that it doesn't do well with the Hacker A60 motors.
Mine works out of the box with the A60...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Mar 08, 2015, 11:17 PM
Joined Jun 2004
94 Posts
I'm usin a spin 99 overkill but it works and I can move it to a 2m ship if I ever want too.
B@@mer is offline Find More Posts by B@@mer
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:35 AM
Joined Dec 2012
87 Posts
Jack, all the previous problems with the Castle esc's have been eliminated. My new Phoenix Edge 80 HV controllers can handle ANY 28 pole outrunner. Most of these people that are bad mouthing Castle controllers are "hustling" esc's for a specific retailer! IMHO, Castle Creation esc's are still the best value out there. The high end Jeti's are overpriced and are not really necessary !
TN Walker is offline Find More Posts by TN Walker
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:37 AM
SAB
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Here's what happened - with the OS ESC on the A60-5S I would get a loss of sync at 25degrees timing (Hacker recomendation), but adjusting to 23 degrees & sync problem disapeared. Then I fitted the A60-7XS but this time I had loss of sync (screeching) no matter what timing I set. So I had a CC ICE 100 at hand & used that. Set manual end points, firmware 3.27 timing Med & outrunner mode - no loss of sync but took a long time to get to full throttle. I then checked the Castle website for updates & found v4.19 firmware for hi pole motors - great I thought so downloaded it but it just didn't work - once past half throttle I got no more RPM increase - approx half the power on the wattmeter than with 3.27. Was like this no matter what parameters I changed so I reverted back to 3.27 & adjusted the parameters eventually settling on low timing & a fixed PWM of 12KHz - acceleration to full throttle was now good. From what I recall changing from outrunner mode to a fixed PWM of 12KHz made the biggest difference.

Steve
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
87 Posts
Steve, you might try the new Castle v4.22 program. I found it to be exactly what I needed for a 28 pole outrunner.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:02 PM
SAB
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
TN, thanks for the info although I will leave it as-is per the "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" saying. Besides you are using the newer Edge rather than my ICE which may be a factor in your success.

Steve
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
87 Posts
Steve, you are welcome and I wish you continued success.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 07:44 AM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Thanks All, I appreciate the information. It sounds like the new Phoenix Edge will work with the A60-7XS pretty much right out of the box. Problem solved.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 02:25 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,354 Posts
Hi,
Yesterday was first day for me this year flying from grass field (was flying from lake/ice and snow earlier). I made 15 flights with my MythoS 125E. Little windy but no problem really, in the evening the wind calmed but then it was colder in the air as sun was going down in the horizon. A nice day with a whole day of flying and when I came back home and after storage charged the LiPo's and put them away I went to bed little early and it did not take many minutes before I was sleeping.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Mar 15, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:34 PM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
190 Posts
Nice pics!

I got back from a long business trip and it was actually pretty nice here today so I got to do a little flying. Should be relatively warm here but we're expecting another cold spell so apart from that, it's a crap shoot if the winds are going to cooperate or not.
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer