Joined Mar 2012
172 Posts
Devo 10
OldSpool is online now Find More Posts by OldSpool
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2007
71 Posts
Don't think of it so much as can the visual aspects of fog cause issues, it's the humidity aspects.

I'll rephrase your question and you decide what the answer is....

Can water effect electronics?
ChargedDust is online now Find More Posts by ChargedDust
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
I failed to crash a heli once!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
2,041 Posts
I think that in general we can ignore the impact fog would have on our transmitters. To answer your question directly the answer is yes.

I suspect what you really want to know is if fog can be heavy enough to affect the range of transmission. I'd say it's unlikely that we (pilots) would be able to detect any difference without instrumentation. I can't explain what you experienced, but I don't think it was a result of the fog. The fact that you regained control at a long distance shows that it wasn't a signal strength issue (unless you have some really weird intermittent issues with your Tx).

In general I'd say that the level of moisture in the air is unlikely to affect your Tx unless it is to the point of condensing moisture in the Tx, notice I didn't say on the Tx.
dteel is offline Find More Posts by dteel
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Never let it down
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2013
357 Posts
I don't know about fog effect on transmission, but perhaps fog humidity may affect the servos or the board ...yo

EDIT : oups sorry ChargedDust, you've already got it
Pachapapa is offline Find More Posts by Pachapapa
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
172 Posts
Thanks guy's, for all of your input. Now that I think about it, it all make sense. Thanks Chargeddust for rephrasing my question. I was not thinking. Water will effect any electronics. Fog is just tiny drops of water. dteel, you are correct, I did want to know if the range of transmission is affected. I was not out side long enough to get the TX damp inside or out. But I do believe the signal between TX and RX traveling through drops of water did indeed have an affect. The fact that I did regain control, I believe was due to the signal being intermitting, hit and miss as it traveled through water. Pachapapa, humidity affecting the servos and pcb, could also be a probable cause. Things that make you go hummmm. one things for sure I want be flying in the fog again. Thanks to all.
OldSpool is online now Find More Posts by OldSpool