Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 27, 2014, 09:46 AM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2009
35 Posts
Discussion
Balsa USA Northstar

Hey Guys! I've decided to add to my Float Plane Fleet and build a Northstar. I have a spare OS 46 AX, as well as other RC components from an old trainer that I will be moving over. I've researched and am following other similar build threads, and so far, will make the following mod's to this kit:
[LIST][*]Micro Servo in Tail Section for throttle[*]light ply for step section[*]glass entire bottom fuse [*]larger elevator? not sure yet...

One of the drawbacks to this kit is the permanent wing and thus overall size for storage/transportation. I'd love to modify into two piece wing, but this may be too much mods and not practical since the elevators are connected at the trailing end each wing section.

Any other thoughts or mods I should consider based on your experience would be appreciated.

Cheers....Hutch
hutchis is offline Find More Posts by hutchis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 03:19 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchis View Post

One of the drawbacks to this kit is the permanent wing and thus overall size for storage/transportation. I'd love to modify into two piece wing, but this may be too much mods and not practical since the elevators are connected at the trailing end each wing section.
Not sure what you mean by "elevators connected at the trailing end of each wing section." The North Star has a conventional stabilizer/elevator arrangement, there is no connection between the wing and the elevator.

It actually would be fairly easy to make the wing more or less removable--not as a single unit, but wing panels. Take a look at the elevon version of this model, the Arrow, and you can see how to do it. Has been awhile since I did mine (both North Star and Arrow), but you could have a wing center section (center rib and one on each side) that is mounted in the fuselage, and outer wing sections (double the number 2 wing ribs to serve as the start of the wing panel) that slide on carbon spars (I would use two) with screw attachment points. It would require aileron servos in the wing (1 for each aileron), and connectors, but not a big deal, and pretty much the preferred approach now anyways...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Last edited by pmisuinas; Jul 31, 2014 at 03:25 PM.