Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 02, 2014, 01:23 PM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
Exponential for butterfly function

I have tried to find a way to define differential/curve for the butterfly function but cannot make it work.
Does anyone know if that is possible?
jbentsen is offline Find More Posts by jbentsen
Last edited by jbentsen; Jan 03, 2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Changed title
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:18 AM
Registered User
Geoff_S's Avatar
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,024 Posts
Do you mean adjusting aileron differential when butterfly braking is active ?
- First set aileron differential under the "Fine Tuning" menu
- Next, go into "Butterfly" under the Fine Tuning menu, then "Ailerons/Flaps Adjustment
- Modify "Dif. adjust" as required

The "Dif Adjust" logic is as follows:
- negative values of Dif Adjust are added to your "Down" aileron differential
- positive values of Dif Adjust are added to your "Up" aileron differential.

An example:
- you set Up aileron differential as 90%, and Down aileron differential as 50%
- if you set Dif Adjust to -25%, then the Down aileron value when butterfly is active will be 75% (Up aileron value will be unchanged at 90%)
- if you set Dif Adjust to +25%, then the Up aileron value when butterfly is active will be 115% (Down aileron value will be unchanged at 50%)

This is not described in the manual - I only worked it out by experimenting with a test model and watching the servo output screen when butterfly was active.
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:29 AM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Do you mean adjusting aileron differential when butterfly braking is active ?
- First set aileron differential under the "Fine Tuning" menu
- Next, go into "Butterfly" under the Fine Tuning menu, then "Ailerons/Flaps Adjustment
- Modify "Dif. adjust" as required

The "Dif Adjust" logic is as follows:
- negative values of Dif Adjust are added to your "Down" aileron differential
- positive values of Dif Adjust are added to your "Up" aileron differential.

An example:
- you set Up aileron differential as 90%, and Down aileron differential as 50%
- if you set Dif Adjust to -25%, then the Down aileron value when butterfly is active will be 75% (Up aileron value will be unchanged at 90%)
- if you set Dif Adjust to +25%, then the Up aileron value when butterfly is active will be 115% (Down aileron value will be unchanged at 50%)

This is not described in the manual - I only worked it out by experimenting with a test model and watching the servo output screen when butterfly was active.
Sorry my mistake, it was not differential I was after but exponential/function curve for the butterfly.

What I want is that the butterfly effect graduately increases when I pull the P4 stick.
jbentsen is offline Find More Posts by jbentsen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2014, 06:09 AM
Registered User
Geoff_S's Avatar
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,024 Posts
Just use a multiple-point function curve for P4 ?
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2014, 06:47 AM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Just use a multiple-point function curve for P4 ?
And that's my problem I cannot make that work.

When defining the model P4 is not assigned to any function and even if I add P4 as a function and define a curve for that it has no influence on the butterfly function.
jbentsen is offline Find More Posts by jbentsen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2014, 07:22 AM
Registered User
Geoff_S's Avatar
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,024 Posts
I see. I tried using a logical switch based on P4 and even that did not work. Perhaps you could ask Jeti directly ?
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2014, 07:37 AM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
30 Posts
I will if nothing comes up here.
jbentsen is offline Find More Posts by jbentsen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2014, 08:32 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Clarification, Please

I use P4 as my throttle stick. I also use P4 as a "LIN" control for a logical switch for when butterfly is enabled.

Using that as the butterfly control, if P4 is fully down, then I get the maximum up aileron deflection. As P4 is raised, then the upward deflected ailerons gradually go back to normal position. IIRC, I set the values such that, by mid-stick on P4, the butterfly/aileron effect is completely gone. This allows me to do a "go around" without having to flick switches, turn knobs, etc. I also use knob P8 to control the maximum amount of aileron deflection.

Is this what you have in mind? The term "exponential" makes me think that a non-linear adjustment of aileron deflection is what is desired and, as with the others, I also cannot seem to get that to work. Smooth, linear, reduction does work, as described above.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbentsen View Post
Sorry my mistake, it was not differential I was after but exponential/function curve for the butterfly.

What I want is that the butterfly effect graduately increases when I pull the P4 stick.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2014, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Geoff_S's Avatar
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
IIRC, I set the values such that, by mid-stick on P4, the butterfly/aileron effect is completely gone.
Yes I think this is exactly what jbentsen is after. How do you set it so that butterfly is gone at mid stick ? Everything I have tried indicates butterfly will vary linearly between stick end points and there is no way to make this relationship non linear.
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:34 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Butterfly Gone At Mid-Stick

On the first Butterfly screen, when I assigned a logical switch (CROW_ON and P4 (lin)), I also set OFFSET to 75%. Experiment with that value in conjunction with the "ailerons flaps adjustment" value 'till you get the upward deflected ailerons to behave as you want. I also found that the value associated with the P8 knob controlling the maximum crow effect (fine tuning sub-menu) had to be the same value as the "ailerons flaps adjustment" value.

It shows up well in the monitor screen, but even better on a model and, a low pass, as throttle is applied, it is nice to see the ailerons return to full normal.

Love this radio.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Yes I think this is exactly what jbentsen is after. How do you set it so that butterfly is gone at mid stick ? Everything I have tried indicates butterfly will vary linearly between stick end points and there is no way to make this relationship non linear.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2014, 10:04 AM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
30 Posts
It's not what I'm after.
For my DLG I use the ailerons as flaps during the thermal and to brake it coming in for landing.
Defleksion is always down.

For flaps I need Defleksion to be slow i.e. only give a small amount of flaps and for landing I need to be larger to get the brake function.

I might be able to do this using some free mixes but it would be nice to get it in the butterfly menu.
jbentsen is offline Find More Posts by jbentsen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2014, 12:44 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Change Sign

Change the sign of the "adjustment" portion to make ailerons BOTH go down (or up).

One advantage of the butterfly menu approach, as another poster pointed out, is that the delay feature is available for all the mixed elements.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbentsen View Post
It's not what I'm after.
For my DLG I use the ailerons as flaps during the thermal and to brake it coming in for landing.
Defleksion is always down.

For flaps I need Defleksion to be slow i.e. only give a small amount of flaps and for landing I need to be larger to get the brake function.

I might be able to do this using some free mixes but it would be nice to get it in the butterfly menu.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2014, 03:07 PM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Change the sign of the "adjustment" portion to make ailerons BOTH go down (or up).

One advantage of the butterfly menu approach, as another poster pointed out, is that the delay feature is available for all the mixed elements.

Michael
The aillerons are going the right way using P4 so no issues there.
I just need them to move in small increments to start with and in larger increments the more P4 is moved.
jbentsen is offline Find More Posts by jbentsen
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Variable amplitude/stroke mechanism with self locking function for gliding seagull10 Ornithopters 2 Dec 10, 2013 08:59 PM
Discussion Skyartec Butterfly - LED - cam alex12555 Mini Multirotors 0 Nov 21, 2013 11:37 PM
Discussion Throttle cut on dx7s for differential throttle mix Flight Quack Radios 1 Nov 18, 2013 04:26 AM
Discussion throttle cut on dx7s for differential throttle mix Flight Quack Electric Warbirds 0 Nov 17, 2013 09:39 PM
Discussion FlySky GT3B - Defeat reverse function for RR2? pjwright Racing Boats - Electric 2 Nov 15, 2013 01:47 PM