Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
Build Log
ARJIB400 Frame, FC and motors.

Hi guys,

Here is the ARJIB400 Frame that I built over the last 3 hours or so.

Pro's and con's for the frame.

Pro's: The quad has 2 sections, 1 clean and 1 dirty. The clean being where the flight controller and camera/FPV gear go that uses some sorbothane bobbins and plastic mounting poles/separators that absorb the vibes from the "dirty" part which is where the ESC's and motors are mounted to. The best pro i like personally is that the frame uses 1 size screw all around apart from the motor mount screws which i found very handy as you dont have to spend time comparing screw sizes, realising at half way through the job that you've used the wrong size screws! Yep, done that a few times!
All the parts are cut very accurately and fit together really well, not one part did i have to enlarge any of the joining slots or holes.I literally built the quad from the pics on the www.made2fly.com.au site so its not exactly a hard thing to build. To make all 4 legs took about 1:15 mins and they are the most time consuming as they are a little finicky. If using the SpiritFly control board, there are exact mounting holes pre-drilled for you so it takes the guess work and mathematics of trying to find the best spot for the FC.

Con's: Personally, Im not a quad savvy guy so the only con i could find is that if using 30amp or close to ESC's they are a very tight fit if fitting inside the arms.

Tips for making things a little easier if you are going to buy and build one:
To mount the arms, insert one and only screw that arms screws in so you can manipulate the other 3 arms in with ease, then tighten them all down. The clean section uses plastic/nylon separators/poles and steel screws, go easy on the screws as i can see the poles being a bit easy to thread. For all metal on metal screws I used some Tamiya Anaerobic gel threadlock so it will do the job well but also come apart easy when/if needed.
The bobbins used to separate clean section from dirty are delicate, so only finger tighten and only use a light rated threadlock (i used the tamiya stuff mentioned earlier).

All thats needed now for me is to install the RX and start all the tuning.

Here are the build pics I took along the way.

The first arm built, as I said earlier these are the hardest part of the build which honestly, were'nt hard at all. Do this then do it another 3 times.

All 4 arms.

All arms mounted to "dirty" section.

The start of the clean section with FC mounted.

Clean section complete.

MOST IMPORTANT PARTS! THE BOBBINS!!!

Done!!

All thats needed now is to hook everything up and tune and fly!

Any comments or questions post'em up!

Cheers!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Last edited by Teamsherman; Jun 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2013
158 Posts
Nice going mate!
MADE2FLY is offline Find More Posts by MADE2FLY
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:28 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
Ready to maiden and maiden flight.

ARJIB400 Maiden flight (3 min 44 sec)
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Mar 2013
158 Posts
like your bonds undies mate! lol.

for the ALTHOLD just up the P value bit by bit untill its nice and locked in.

actually looks nice with those CF props on them too. you gonna FPV it soon?
MADE2FLY is offline Find More Posts by MADE2FLY
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:45 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
No FPV plans as yet. I'll see how my filming technique turns out via LOS, if I can't get the angles right ill FPV to film with a birds eye view.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:47 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
As for the undies, Bonds Flexits, very very very comfy undies. Lol
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:20 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
What better place and conditions to trim a quad than indoors!!

Did some FC and gimbal testing tonight in the Menai sports and rec centers indoor night and playing with the Baro mode (altitude hold) on the SpiritFly FC and it was holding me about 2 feet off the ground so well that I was flying around the place only using pitch, roll and yaw and it didn't drop altitude at all! Very chuffed as this will make FPV'ing heaps more fun without worrying about altitude all that much!

Video will be up tomorrow just to show how well the quad holds and how awesome the new gimbal from Mongrel is!!!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:06 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,826 Posts
Here is the altitude hold test along with a the gimbal supplied by MongrelGear. I was pitching and rolling the quad, but due to the gimbal doing such a good job, you just cant tell!!

Arjib Baro mode (2 min 3 sec)