HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 04:02 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Jamie I don't know if you know about this site, if your going for a drive to a slope it's good for checking out wind direction and strength in different areas so you can decide where to head for. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
Uh, oh. Now you're eyeballing the weather. That's a bad sign..
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 06:29 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Nov 2007
2,458 Posts
I like to go ultra-light with lots of side area to take advantage of smooth rolls and knife edge ability.

Don't Move, Buzz! (4 min 35 sec)
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 02:51 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Uh, oh. Now you're eyeballing the weather. That's a bad sign..
Yeh it is. I've got the urge to try a bit again but the only thing I've got kicking around still is an old Zagi unless I take the prop off a foamie and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAF View Post
I like to go ultra-light with lots of side area to take advantage of smooth rolls and knife edge ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MpUxyMmhwI
That is one ugly bird but the flying is beautiful, very nice I could do with some of that weather but I how do you concentrate on flying with bikini clad hotties passing by?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old May 05, 2013, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2,458 Posts
Quote:
I could do with some of that weather but I how do you concentrate on flying with bikini clad hotties passing by?
Usually the instinct is to try and fly under the railing to get their attention, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 08:34 AM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Quote:

Wow! This is just awesome. So floaty. Your flying is fantastic. Love the hand rail grinds and taps.
Can you give us some info on the plane? Is it your own creation or a kit?
I need something really light and floaty like that as well since our dunes are small.

Thanks for any info.
- Noel
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
Old May 05, 2013, 02:49 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,224 Posts
last night we were flying our foamies at 1 am out front with the help of a couple of 1000w halogens.
and yesterday I flew slope at LM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iABYuT6HhcU
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old May 05, 2013, 03:36 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Definitely carving it up. Sweet!
Old May 05, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Awesome flying.
I don't know what fuse that is but you should name it the Snoopy. It totally looks like a snoopy head (and snoopy loved flying)
Febtober29 is offline Find More Posts by Febtober29
Old May 06, 2013, 03:27 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Jamie I don't know if you know about this site, if your going for a drive to a slope it's good for checking out wind direction and strength in different areas so you can decide where to head for. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

I wonder if there's a site that shows terrain maps with winds marked on it? I'd have thought that would be ideal. Maybe there's a way to do it with the Google Maps terrain layer?
jcansdale is online now Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old May 06, 2013, 12:47 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

I wonder if there's a site that shows terrain maps with winds marked on it? I'd have thought that would be ideal. Maybe there's a way to do it with the Google Maps terrain layer?
I really like Google Earth and I've looked into what your talking about but with little success. If you do make a break through please be sure to share.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old May 06, 2013, 09:23 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Quote:

Hey JGAF where you at. So whats the story on the Snoopy, or fish thing or whatever its called. Give us some info please.
Thanks
- Noel
Old May 06, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,458 Posts
Hi Noel,
Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1851868

and here's a video from today from my birthday last thursday; conditions were really smooth!

Buzz Ruffian (3 min 14 sec)

Right now I'm making the Buzz receiver ready on a plane-by-plane basis. It's made from 1.3 lb EPP foam, covered in 1.7 mil and 3 mil laminating film with a 50" wingspan. There are subtle differences in the build from "How to build a Swiss Fish" (a build log here on the slope forum) AUW usually comes out to around 11.5 ounces or less. I use 2 9 gram servos for the ailerons and 2 13 gram mg servos for the elevator and rudder. Linkages are carbon fiber rod and teflon tubing, with plastic clevises - the control rods for the elevator and rudder act as a flexible spar system when buried in the foam inside the tubing, making a great combination of flexibility for impact resistance and stiffness in the air. I use a 1 oz 750 mah LiFe battery and a 3/4 oz receiver.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2013, 10:48 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Justin, what are you charging for a Rx ready Buzz?

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old May 07, 2013, 07:19 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
JGAF,

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will be interested in knowing the Rx ready price as well.

And Happy Birthday dude! What better way to spend your B-Day than sloping. It doesn't get any better than that.

- Noel
Old May 07, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2,458 Posts
The Buzz currently goes for $250 receiver-ready with a simple paint scheme

There is currently a list about 5 people long that *for sure* want to get one, hopefully three or four of those will be done within the next few weeks and I can order a few more. Definitely shoot me a PM if you would like one!

I haven't arranged a shipping method yet, I am thinking that I can ship Buzz in three pieces, elevator, wing, and fusealage, with minimal assembly required (glue elevator, wing, install control horn on one aileron, clip on clevises & fly.)

Thanks,
Justin
RCG Plus Member