HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Discussion
Wing connectors

Looking for suggestions for a four servo wing connector.

The multiplex connector is the long established standard.
I've also used two Deans 4 pin connectors, for some redundancy.
Believe there are better (smaller, easier fitting) choices available though and interested in the parts numbers.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,062 Posts
I am interested in this also. The Multiplex connectors are too difficult to remove and this added to the fragility of the Avionik wing wire at the solder joint ,leads to failure after some indeterminate number of removals. Maybe go back to the in-line connectors supplied by Sergey? I have tried removing the plastic box round the Multiplex ones and this helps.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Have you considered Ashloks? http://www.thunderboltrc.com/ashlok/AshlokInfo.html

Drice in his seminal Enigma build log led me to try them on my X Plane and must admit it was easy and quick since there is no fiddly soldering involved and they are easy to connect and disconnect for my clumsy fingers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=51
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:45 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Think the MPX are still a good solution, but you need to protect the soldering not only with heatshrink. Just shrink the soldering, fix the cables with hotglue and then shrink them. So less bending and pull forces reach the soldering, which is the weak point. Also made the experience that the MPX get easier to plug and remove after some cycles.

Some people use pin socket connectors. You can get them as 6 pins in one line(very flat solution) or as 2x3 pins....you can get them in electronics stores like conrad.de
Matze_Koelle is offline Find More Posts by Matze_Koelle
Last edited by Matze_Koelle; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:36 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
This is the plug I would like to use. It came off an f5b model I bought second hand.

Anyone know what part it is?
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
There are a wide range of balancing leads that might be useful. Most do have a hatch that snaps them togeather too.

henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Dec 2003
421 Posts
I used a 5s balance lead on my mini-hawk

on my Tiger/Wilco I used the Multiplex, I put a glob of hot glue around the soldered pins
to avoid stress pulling on the solder joints.
lennyk is offline Find More Posts by lennyk
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch View Post
Looking for suggestions for a four servo wing connector.
Believe there are better (smaller, easier fitting) choices available though and interested in the parts numbers.
David
The wing connector you asked about in the Phasor thread is just a 2 row 2.54mm PCB header and socket. I buy them in long lengths from RS Components and then just cut off the number of ways I need for whatever I am doing. In the case of a 4 servo wing I use an 8 way (2 x 4) plug and socket > 2pins each for +/-, and 1 pin each for the signal wires.
Mine are not polarised, but it would be easy to add that yourself with a bit of thin plastic or plywood if you wanted to.

Lots of choices and alternative configurations on RS, but here are a couple for starters:-
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-sockets/4881730/
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-headers/5473172/

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Problem with balancing leads is, that the connector housing is usually made of nylon...that is too soft and you can push out the pins.

Saw that several times, that pins moved when connecting and disconnecting batteries to the charger.

I would prfer the socket connectors or the MPX. The MPX has some advantage bacuse of gold connectors....don´t know if you can get the socket also with gold pins...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
>8-)
Derby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
693 Posts
I use these:

Male
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/734295/
Female
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/733823/

Going to to experiment with a single row (1x8) of these spring loaded that mate with some bread board on the wing. No more plugging/unplugging.
MrMagic is offline Find More Posts by MrMagic
Last edited by MrMagic; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:59 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
I will also abadon the MPX and switch to those.

But be careful, I had those on my S16 and + and - was soldered to the pin 1-2 and 7-8, this is not safe, as you can plug it reverse polarity. I prefer + on pin 1-2 and - on 3-4, signals on the rest. When you then plug it it reversed nothing happens.

On my S16 it burned the flap servos....
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:36 AM
>8-)
Derby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze_Koelle View Post
I will also abadon the MPX and switch to those.

But be careful, I had those on my S16 and + and - was soldered to the pin 1-2 and 7-8, this is not safe, as you can plug it reverse polarity. I prefer + on pin 1-2 and - on 3-4, signals on the rest. When you then plug it it reversed nothing happens.

On my S16 it burned the flap servos....
I use 6 pins (probably a bad idea - no redundancy in power connection) on an 8 pin plug, +/- on pins 1 & 5 (read left to right then row by row) so pins 4 and 8 are empty. That way if you plug it in wrong or offset, no chance of reverse polarity. Pins 2,3,6 and 7 for servos.

Code:
+ 2 3 4
- 6 7 8
MrMagic is offline Find More Posts by MrMagic
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:49 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Those pins are rated 3A current, so I prefer to have 2 pins per pole....but to be realistic....no one does two connections from the BEC to the RX...so perhaps overengineering
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze_Koelle View Post
Those pins are rated 3A current, so I prefer to have 2 pins per pole....but to be realistic....no one does two connections from the BEC to the RX...so perhaps overengineering
Correct thinking but you are wrong in your last statement. As the servos get stronger, digital and more to the number most have learnt to follow up with proper feeding to the servos. Some the hard way but most by lurking the forums.

Larger airplanes do use various powerboxes while the smaller stuff uses switched BECs such as the Jeti line. ...and they do feed the Rx in more then one place from factory.

Even if not flying a jet model, or even a powerd model the airfames featured in the high performance session are way to expensive to be trusted by a single connector or built in BEC/ESC especially when loading the hobbyking ESCs to double the rated peak current draw.
henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; Nov 14, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:21 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
you´re absolutely right, when saying that this make sense....but in my world(F5B) I have not seen this....but of course it makes sense to do it.

Issues is, that the small cables coming even vom 10A rated becs(for example CC BEC) are the bottleneck. So even when plugging in the power at two socket at the RX, it makes no difference. Then you need to modify the complete bec with thicker cables.

We have no 5A steady current....it is only the peak of 5A when doing the turn or setting butterfly. And this is then the complete consumtion of the system. Means RX, Unilog and Sensors, Servos.

So electricalwise I am not expert enough to say that one power connctor is enough or if you need two....no idea.