HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,193 Posts
Discussion
Silver Solder --retract steering arm?

I need to manufacture a new steering arm for my nose gear retract. The retract is brand new, but the arm is not how I need it to be. What I am going to solder is a 3/16" id x 7/16" od set screw collar to some 1/16" steel for the steering arm. This is for a 14lb F-86 I'm building. Not only will the steering arm be used for steering, but as it retracts the arm will also rotate the gear 90*, so it needs to be strong. I have done a search here, but still am at a loss as what would be best. Suggestions, Please. Thanks in advance.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
459 Posts
Hey Cooler,
You will not have any issues using silver solder as the general grade of sil-sol(60/40, 50/50, 55/45) has a tensile strength nearing 35Ksi. The technique is to be able to control a "pin-flame" torch, ie. jewelers o/a, or a butane/propane micro-torch. I still use both in my welding shop for very intricate repairs & used them exclusively for gunsight work when I had my gunshop. Never had a "properly" sil-sol brazed joint fail. A good flux, such as Handy-Harmon is needed along with a good chemically cleaned metal(acetone works well). Hope that helps & gives you confidence of the strength with sil-sol. Post your mod. when completed.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,307 Posts
I make up my own bandsaw blades from roll stock. The joints are a scarff angled style overlap with a silver soldered joint that is maybe 3/16 wide by 1/4 long. It easily holds the tension needed to achieve a mid range musical tone in the blade when tensioned correctly. The rare time that such blades have broken on me it's never been at the joint.

Yep, high temperature silver solder is darn good stuff. Use with confidence.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,193 Posts
Thanks guys, not in a real big rush, so I will have time to find the right stuff. Of course it's always nice to get one small project out of the way, to go on to the next. And I have a lot of nexts!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
All good examples! You may want to consider tinning (pre solder) the surfaces before assembly, followed up w/ a flat lap sanding.

The Smithsonian Institution opened up a "Capilary wing" in which one of the first examples was on how well Silver Solder held 2 brass sheets together, better than any other way of attaching two like materials. The cross section reveiled the molecules had combined to the extent of giving it lamination strength like no other process of assembly.

Bruce- I like your way of making band saw blades, you know that welder never works well hardly ever! I'm going to give that a try sometime.

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,193 Posts
Let me refine my question a little more. Keep in mine that this will probably be the only Silver soldering I will do in a long time, so I don't need much of it. I would think the area to be soldered would be about 1/3rd the size of a dime. I do understand what you guys are saying. I think that 35Kpsi might be a little over kill for my job.

That said, would there be something you might suggest (by name) that would be up to task for my need. Some thing carded, off the shelf stuff?
Sears, Home Depot ? If not, I guess I could gas weld it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
My local hobby shop carries this stuff http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFS75&P=ML Have used it on landing gear and bandsaw blades. You might want to check at a shop near you.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
459 Posts
Hey Cooler,
PM me your address & I will send you some sil-sol .030 wire(60/40) & some H-H flux. It is low-temp/hi-tensile & will work well for you.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
You can also obtain silver solder (the REAL stuff) at jeweler's supply places in addition to welding supply places and in small amounts.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2006
364 Posts
Anyone who has special solder needs, should check this shop out. http://bart.ccis.com/home/hn/
Earl
earlcbrown is offline Find More Posts by earlcbrown
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,726 Posts
The main thing about any kind of soldering is to CLEAN both mating parts well, and to not overheat the parts while soldering. You want just enough heat to get the solder to flow well. A tight joint is also a must. Gaps need to be kept to a minimum for good results with silver solder. ----------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy