Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:23 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
If you really want RTH to come on just flip the off switch on your tx. Why do you need another switch?
RTH and have control on the pan/tilt
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:48 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
If you really want RTH to come on just flip the off switch on your tx. Why do you need another switch?
Was waiting for someone to say this and its the simple solution. The only thing I dont like about this is the delay, it takes about 5 seconds to regain control when the radio is switched back on.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,863 Posts
First time I tried that was also the last. I was testing my Gen 1 and had the elevator reversed. I had just enough time to regain control and nearly ripped the wings off pulling out.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Joined Oct 2007
2,777 Posts
Think i'll try the full throttle stick method and see how it goes. Another thing I have to remember to change is the altitude, when it was circling around over head it was way too high.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:41 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Went for a flight tonight and it appears the GPS has failed

It just remained on searching for sats then I'm guessing timed out saying GPS not connected then immediately start searching for sats again. Another strange thing is that the date displayed as 06/01/80 for a couple of boots then later back in the shed came up as todays date but would still not find any sats (outside of course) I'm also guessing it must have communicated with something to get todays date?

Double checked all connections, the only thing I have changed since the last successful flight is to install my Xmas present, DragonLink.

Heeelp!
Macattaka is online now Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:50 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-plater View Post
Went for a flight tonight and it appears the GPS has failed

It just remained on searching for sats then I'm guessing timed out saying GPS not connected then immediately start searching for sats again. Another strange thing is that the date displayed as 06/01/80 for a couple of boots then later back in the shed came up as todays date but would still not find any sats (outside of course) I'm also guessing it must have communicated with something to get todays date?

Double checked all connections, the only thing I have changed since the last successful flight is to install my Xmas present, DragonLink.

Heeelp!
Sounds to me like the dragon link radiates into the GPS. You may want to relocate the GPS reciver.

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:38 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Thanks Markus, I shall have a reshuffle tomorrow.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:31 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,863 Posts
Hi Alistair,
I have a spare New RVOSD GPS you can test with.
Cheers
Frank
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:14 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Thanks Frank,
I'm at work until the 9th but might come and try that when I get home if I can't get it working by moving things around.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,863 Posts
No worries Al.
I have sometimes had trouble finding satellites and later no problem. Sometimes the RVOSD doesnt boot correctly and just needs a restart.
I think you can look at the debug page and get some info on what GPS is doing, but its not comprehensible to us plebs...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Put Rx in another plane? Not going to happen. I have lots of planes and quad copters, they each how there own Rx. You would put a Rx in a plane and set it up? Really?
How can you get your throttle trim below fail safe? Bumping trim upwards from the very bottom does nothing to the RVOSD. Your looking at it backwards. The low throttle fail safe is "below" the throttle trim. I've used both have you?

If its not safer then why was it added to the last software update?

The high throttle is very dangerous. If the RVOSD decides not to take over the fail safe you have an aircraft with WOT screaming off your table. Ask me how I know. This is the whole reason Alex added low throttle fail safe setting in the last software update. If you want to use high throttle fail safe then do so. But dont try and convince us that's it's safer. Even a newbie would know better.
avropilot is offline Find More Posts by avropilot
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avropilot View Post
I've used both have you?
Yes

Quote:
If its not safer then why was it added to the last software update?
Last update? Its was in the G5 firmware from the beginning.

Quote:

The high throttle is very dangerous. If the RVOSD decides not to take over the fail safe you have an aircraft with WOT screaming off your table. Ask me how I know.
Will apparently we have a difference in opinion. I never said that everyone should do this particular practice. If you actually read the context in which my statements are made, you would have seen that this is a solution to having return to home and fly by wire available at the same time without having to do a mix. Some radios don't allow a throttle mix with a switch. In this case the way I do it, is perfectly fine. The major confusion in the interpretation, comes from the description "wide open throttle". When fail safe comes on, the motor is never at wide open throttle. On my plane, which does 38A at wide open throttle, actually runs at 6.5A when return to home is activated.

Now let's think about this for a second, how do you get to return to home? (my way) The throttle stick already has to be at 90 percent. So the motor, under my control, is already nearly wide open. When you go past 95 percent, the motor instantly drops down 6.5 amps.

Now about you having unsecured planes that are plugged in and alarmed flying around in your work area, this is something that cant happen in my work area because I don't take a lackadaisical approach to safety in my shop. If a plane is about to be armed, guess what? It is secured so it cant move. That's probably one of the differences between you and I.

See, my FPV plane sits, locked in a cradle with a sandbag in the base. It is in this cradle at all times, whether in my shop, or while being transported. It only comes out of the cradle to be put on the ground when I'm ready to fly. While in this cradle, the plane cant move at wide open throttle.

And about your stupid comment about bumping the trim down to activate fail safe, this goes back to you not paying attention to the context in which we are discussing this feature. Again to clarify for you, I was talking about having the ability to activate return to home using the throttle while in flight. My comment about the low trim was being able to have to fail safe set close enough to zero throttle to activate in the air. To do this, you'd have to have the receiver trimmed just above RTH, and trim down to activate return to home. In this context, that would be dangerous. This is the low throttle danger I was speaking of. You're talking about just fail safe in general, which in that context, you would be correct. Fail safe only, would be much better suited to low throttle settings versus a high throttle settings. This is common sense and all RC flight. This is one of many reasons my plane is always in its cradle at all times. Again I do things in a very safe manner. Not only my FPV plane, but all my plans are treated with extreme caution at all times. This is one of the discernible differences between you and I, I never had a plane takeoff of my table, unlike you. Unless you understand exactly what I'm talking about, you really shouldn't comment.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:17 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,064 Posts
Winning :-)
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:19 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Joined Oct 2007
2,777 Posts
I just got back from testing the RTH failsafe on full throttle stick and it seems to work just fine. Its great having both Fly By Wire and RTH available at the same time without having to flick thru the in-flight menu or switch off the tranny.

But next time i'll test out the low throttle failsafe. This could be activated on a switch by using a throttle hold set below zero. Im really happy with RVOSD5 so far its doing everything I want it to. Heading Hold is really cool, Fly By Wire even better. Have to test these features to see what happens when flying inverted.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,863 Posts
FBW is great for thermalling.
Not sure about inverted though. I think it would probably try to roll you back upright immediately. Never tried it.