HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
141 Posts
Discussion
3d Printable Hellcat: AWESOME!

Hey here is another super cool thing I found using the new Recent Attachments feature!

This is Lupus78's 3d printed Hellcat model. He used the Shapeways service to have the model printed in 3D. Very cool!!

For all the pics check out the thread or the thread gallery!

Terry o-[ : ) ]
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:20 AM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
Now that is cool! wish I had that printer
flying camel is offline Find More Posts by flying camel
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:16 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
wow one step closer to being able to download a car hehe
but yea cool how strong is that stuff and how much does it weigh i wonder if you could make a UM out of it maybe some thing the size of a 1/2A hmm
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
I wonder how is the price? Had I lived in the US, I would definitely use this service to get my great concepts into life.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
Nice Hellcat model! Check out my blog for more 3D Printed Parts and technology. Great stuff: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445617

This P-38 is 3D printed and has about a 5.5 foot wingspan...
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
'cus I fly a long time
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Jul 2004
238 Posts
Very Nice TROY!
flying camel is offline Find More Posts by flying camel
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
You could always build or buy your own 3-D printer for about $1000 (or less!):
http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.makerbot.com/

These are open-source 3-D printers to make your own designs. Or, go on www.thingiverse.com and make other people's designs! The only problem is that the part quality and resolution is not as high as you would get with a commercial machine.

I'm using a RepRap Mendel for my graduate research and can tell you that they are certainly not "plug and play", but if you like tinkering and desgining stuff, you should look into it.
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
Very Nice TROY!
I can't take credit for the part, only took a picture. They also made the Hot Rod in my blog pics.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:33 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,469 Posts
That is incredible.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:45 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Intriguing concept, but checking out those two homebrew machine sites was less than awe inspiring. For one the raw material filament plastic they use costs $20/lb. For another, the Rep Rap site showed a small plastic coat hook as the result of what seems to be an overnight run of the machine. Heck, I can cut out a coat hook on a jigsaw from wood in under a minute, and the cost is negligible -- particularly with recycled lumber. Looks better than plastic, too.

I didn't see a gallery of user built objects on either site -- the aesthetics of what looks like layers of hot glue close-up doesn't seem to make for a lot of user contributed object photos, but maybe I just missed it. The size of the object you can make on these things looks pretty small, too.

So I don't see these geek toys as a revolutionary "factory" in every apartment quite yet, as one starry eyed British proponent styles it, unless you have a use for crudely finished super expensive plastic objects and want to run a computer and CNC overnight to get them.

I going to give it 10 years and check back.

BTW, the idea of a machine that could make parts for itself, or another just like it didn't originate with the Rep Rap, but maybe a couple hundred years ago with the metal lathe. You still don't find those in every apartment either.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy