HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2003, 06:08 PM
Protector of the Innocent
Strathalbyn,South Australia
Joined Aug 2003
92 Posts
Maidened my Twinstar

Hi all. Please let me begin by saying I am teaching myself to fly (in the last three months), not because I'm a smart Profanity removed by moderator (I am a member of two model clubs,and absorb any and all advise and hints that I can),but because of the difficulty of arranging with an Instructor to show me how. I have watched many trainee pilots(mainly gas), sit all day waiting, only to go home without a fly,and I figured it would take me forever to learn that way. I started off with a Firebird Commander (easy to fly,but you still have to fly it),and that helped to teach me about reverse steering,and also helped to get rid of my gorilla or off road buggy thumbs.It also helped me learn about landing approaches and landing, and NOT to try banking four feet off the ground at slow speed (tends to break wings).I then needed something bigger (I think that is a male thing, LOL), and with more conventional control surfaces, so I invested in a 2m (6ft.) e-glider 3 channel. I found it was just as easy to fly as the FB only faster.Flew this for a month or so without crashing and then decided it was time for ailerons (big step,or so I thought),so I bought a Twinstar (what a lovely forgiving plane to fly),but it wasn't that different,apart from being a more crisper turning action. I had been practicing by returning my glider to level flight after a bank before it's natural tendency to do so itself,so the transition wasn't that bad. The moment had come,down to the airfield about 7 o'clock in the morning,(no wind and no witnesses, does "the walk of shame mean anything" LOL. Knees a-shakin',palms a-sweatin,I gave her a good toss and away she went (boy can this bugger climb),so a little down elevator should do,but it still climbed until I realised I was still at full throttle.Back off and I now have level flight.Try a turn,OOPS!,too much,does a wing stall (gorilla thumbs are now reactivated),nose up stall, all the time she's saying "what the hell are you up to pal?",and gently noseing herself down to level flight again (see what I mean by forgiving),and the fact I was up high enough to recover with plenty of clearance,thumbs are now starting to return to normal.Trimmed her out with not much trouble and she's flying nice and slow enough to allow my brain to catch up with my thumbs and visa versa.Now to land,oh hell!, throttle down on the downward leg,gentle bank to the left,just a tad of elevator and onto my final.Throttle off altogether and just glide (be prepared, she loves to glide). Need to give down elevator or it will sail past me 20ft up. Now a little up elevator to slow her down and she slowed down to the point where I could have nearly hand caught her.Brought her in for a nearly greaser landing. The relief I felt was amazing. Can't wait for next weekend. Sorry if you think I'm waffling,but I'm just so please with myself,(you accomplished pilots will know what I mean). This is my story.

Fearless Fly
FEARLESS FLY is offline Find More Posts by FEARLESS FLY
Last edited by Martin Hunter; Nov 17, 2003 at 03:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2003, 07:33 PM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Nice one - that's a similar path to the one my son and I took. The Firebird series are great starter planes if you don't have an instructor. The difference for us is that we paid someone at the club to teach us - so no waiting in line for a turn. This worked well as we both had some skills from flying electric, but the instructor taught us both some good skills such as setting up properly for landing. It's a great feeling to master this flying business (although master is definately an overstatement for me).

As a progression take a look at the S&B range of foamies. I've just got a Komet and am having a blast. Great flying planes and no fear of crashing - a great way to learn aerobatics.

Peter
Brisbane
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
Old Nov 16, 2003, 08:17 PM
Joined Aug 2003
92 Posts
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. Partenavia arrived last week.Lovely plane,better quality than the TS,(but I just love that TS). Have been informed today that Tower have dispatched my Sig Rascal and should be here soon. Heaven,I'm in heaven,(as the song goes). Allocades to Hobby Lobby and Tower Hobbies for their prompt service.Things have taken longer to get to me from within Australia.

Fearless Fly
Old Nov 16, 2003, 09:42 PM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
I am very jealous - however check out my new acquisition....
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:17 PM
Joined Aug 2003
92 Posts
Peter, now I'm jealous. Please,what make,brand,and motor size? Love that Vickers perched on top.

Fearless
Old Nov 17, 2003, 02:24 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
It's a scratch built Sopwith Scout - not really a scale plane, but a sport version of the Sopwith Pup (one wing instead of two). I bought it from someone in our club. I'm a bit worried that it's going to be too heavy - my plan is to put a very big motor in the nose (Graupner Speed 700 BB Turbo 8.4V) and 10 cell pack. The guy built it for electric and has flown it with a 600, but I found out today that it barely flew and really needs more power.

Still - it looks nice....
Last edited by Peter Young; Nov 17, 2003 at 02:28 AM.