a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,958 Posts
Contest
F3K Fun-Fly at El Dorado Park in Long Beach - March 12, 2016

F3K Fun-Fly at El Dorado Park in Long Beach - March 12, 2016

Or, as it has been informally dubbed, The Cookie Toss

The response to the contest last December was very positive, and I've been getting lots of requests to do it again. So let's do it!

The are goals for this event are the same as last time:
  • Keep it fun and low-pressure to let newer DLG pilots dip their toes into the F3K contest waters.
  • Get to know each other! It looks like there are quite a few of us up here, so lets get together!
I had a thought after the last contest: How about taking a longer break between rounds and have a mini pilot's meeting at which the upcoming task can be discussed - you know, elaborate on the rules and describe strategies. Could help the new guys quite a bit. Post your opinions on this - it will make the day a little longer, but it could be well worth it.

Who should come:
If you have a DLG, you should come. All levels of experience are welcome. If you aren’t sure if the “contest thing” is for you, think of it as a fun-fly with friends with a little more structure. There will be experienced F3K pilots there to help out the guys who are new to it, so it’s a great opportunity to learn from the best.

Note: a current AMA membership is required to fly at El Do - so go get one at www.modelaircraft.org if you aren’t a member.

What are the rules?
This event is officially being called a “F3K Fun-Fly”, but it will follow the official FAI rules for F3K. If you aren’t familiar with the F3K tasks, please download the rules here

Pilot’s meeting is at 8:30am and the first round of flying starts at 9:00am. We should wrap up by early afternoon.

We will be flying 6 tasks, with a break for nutrition/hydration between rounds 4 & 5. No food or beverages will be provided, so please bring your own.

Task list? TBD. If you have any specific task requests, post them here for consideration. Bribes help.

At the last contest, there were some requests for team protection. I'm not a big fan of that for this type of contest, but if there's enough demand, we can do that. After all, this contest is for YOU. Opine below... (see note about re: bribes)

Chime in on this thread if you’re in (or on the fence).
I will be working to set up an event on f3xvault.com for “official” registration - I’ll announce when that’s ready…

Where is El Dorado?
El Dorado East Regional Park is in Long Beach at 7550 E. Spring St. The Long Beach web site has a map of the park. Don’t be fooled by the map - there is no entrance on Wardlow Road; you must enter through the Spring Street entrance. The flying field is in the northern most part of the park in Area III. Note: There is a $7 entrance fee (unless you have an annual pass).

See you there!

- Matt (your CD)
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by MattN
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,958 Posts
btw, Beth has committed to creating cookies for the event.

But variety is the spice of life, so the more the merrier...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by jcats
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,363 Posts
Cooooookiiieeeesss!
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by MattN
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Cooooookiiieeeesss!
beth sez "i love you, Jun". but that might just be the gin and tonic speaking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2016, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by blytle
Brent Lytle
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
Excited to have another fun fly! Matt, you did an excellent job on the last one (my first contest!) I like the idea of strategy discussion between rounds. As far as the day being a bit longer, are there a minimum number of rounds required to count as an official contest? The thinking is that maybe we can be flexible on the number of rounds so people can plan their day around an expected end time, not necessarily number of rounds.
blytle is offline Find More Posts by blytle
Old Feb 08, 2016, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by dlgdude
2013 US F3K Team Manager(ret)
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,173 Posts
Sounds great! I would opine for no team protection, as well as encouraging all novice pilots to work with different experts each round. They all have quirks and will help you in different ways.

Also if we get enough people to run 3 heats instead of 2 it will allow for more "chalk talk" time naturally because we're running at a more relaxed pace.

-l
dlgdude is online now Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by TomK
Tom Knudtson
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Aug 2004
674 Posts
Chime. (I'm in.)
TomK is offline Find More Posts by TomK
Old Feb 08, 2016, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by jachipman
United States, CA, LA
Joined Feb 2014
231 Posts
Beats going all the way to AZ. I'm gonna chime in too. (In)
jachipman is offline Find More Posts by jachipman
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by MattN
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude View Post
Sounds great! I would opine for no team protection, as well as encouraging all novice pilots to work with different experts each round. They all have quirks and will help you in different ways.

Also if we get enough people to run 3 heats instead of 2 it will allow for more "chalk talk" time naturally because we're running at a more relaxed pace.

-l
As I said above, I'm not a big fan of team protection for those same reasons. But last time, one of the guys dragged one of his friends down, and then ended up not being able to team up a single time during the contest. Not what they wanted... So if somebody realllly wants it, I'll consider it.

Re: chalk-talk - I don't think it will take too much time (certainly less than a third flight group...), and everybody in the group can contribute tips. I haven't decided for sure on this one either, but I'm leaning toward it once, just to see how it goes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2016, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,618 Posts
nah, that was more about the randomizer needing some work.

Tentative but will try my best to make it.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by rockbus
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,196 Posts
I'll be there. I missed the JEM and cannot fly at Poway on the 27th so March 12th will work for me.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
Old Feb 10, 2016, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by tai626
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,813 Posts
Can I show up just for cookies?

They are worth the drive and $7 entry fee at ElDo...

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by MattN
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626 View Post
Can I show up just for cookies?

They are worth the drive and $7 entry fee at ElDo...

Tai
For you, absolutely. But why would you go to all the trouble and NOT toss a glider around too?
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by tai626
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,813 Posts
I know...
I am taking a weekend/month of family time for business travel.
For the remaining saturdays, i have a 3 hr window between daughters Ballet/chinese classes.
I just don't know how you guys manage the busy schedule!
You know what, i probably will load my Vandals in the car like last time and toss it between rounds...

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by rockbus
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,196 Posts
I got to go to Irvine tomorrow 11ish, so I'm gonna scout out El Dorado on the way home. Hope the gopher holes are filled in.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus