New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:52 PM
BTerry is offline
Find More Posts by BTerry
Registered User
BTerry's Avatar
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
366 Posts
I had bad luck with those batteries a few years ago. But at that price if you only get 20 charges out of them, they would still be a bargain.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:05 AM
brushless55 is online now
Find More Posts by brushless55
big ignore list
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
5,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerry View Post
I had bad luck with those batteries a few years ago. But at that price if you only get 20 charges out of them, they would still be a bargain.
well I hope they are better today ...
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:46 PM
HeliFlyer14 is online now
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Registered User
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,276 Posts
I picked up the two I ordered on Wednesday from the warehouse. They come in a really big box, but the actual size appears close to the eflite's.

I've had good luck with Turnigy batteries, so maybe something has changed I also don't ever fly them below 3.75v at the very min, typically I stop at 3.8v.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:42 PM
HeliFlyer14 is online now
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Registered User
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,276 Posts
I was able to get the 500 3d out a couple of times this weekend, once in some pretty high wind, but it seemed to handle well enough, or at least a lot better than my 450 3d for the same conditions. I'm getting used to the size and sound of those ginourmas blades, so starting to make a few circuits around the place. Pretty cool seeing that giant thing flying by when making passes
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2016, 01:37 AM
brushless55 is online now
Find More Posts by brushless55
big ignore list
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
5,248 Posts
Sweet !
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:43 PM
CARMELHILL is offline
Find More Posts by CARMELHILL
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
68 Posts
I have a new 500 3d sitting in a box, never opened. I was hopping to get good enough to fly it by now, but I never had enough time.

Glad to see to see there is still a market for it.
CARMELHILL is offline Find More Posts by CARMELHILL
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:46 PM
HeliFlyer14 is online now
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Registered User
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
I have a new 500 3d sitting in a box, never opened. I was hopping to get good enough to fly it by now, but I never had enough time.

Glad to see to see there is still a market for it.
I bought mine new in a box last year from the local hobby store, but didn't bust it out until just now for the same reason. I've been spending a lot of time on my 450 3D in preparations for this heli. I would say it definitely flies better than the 450 3D, but the size demands respect.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:18 AM
dankar04 is offline
Find More Posts by dankar04
Registered User
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,561 Posts
Yes indeed 500 D needs respect. While a 450 is no toy the 500 sized helis have twice the power of 450 sized helis. Battery is more then twice the size and powerful bl motor. If you can fly a 450 heli then 500 is not a problem except pucker power. Like going from a micro c/p to Mini sized c/p. the smaller ones are harder to fly but being so small are not as danger factor.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2016, 01:45 PM
brushless55 is online now
Find More Posts by brushless55
big ignore list
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
5,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
I was able to get the 500 3d out a couple of times this weekend, once in some pretty high wind, but it seemed to handle well enough, or at least a lot better than my 450 3d for the same conditions. I'm getting used to the size and sound of those ginourmas blades, so starting to make a few circuits around the place. Pretty cool seeing that giant thing flying by when making passes
yeah the 500 is a fun size !
wait till you fly a 600
I cannot wait to get my 800 in the air !!
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:17 PM
HeliFlyer14 is online now
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Registered User
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
yeah the 500 is a fun size !
wait till you fly a 600
I cannot wait to get my 800 in the air !!
What 600 do you have? I've considered a 6s 600, like the one thread on this forum. Low headspeed flying around the place.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:21 PM
brushless55 is online now
Find More Posts by brushless55
big ignore list
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
5,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
What 600 do you have? I've considered a 6s 600, like the one thread on this forum. Low headspeed flying around the place.
I have a Trex600
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 05:30 PM
elan is online now
Find More Posts by elan
Registered User
elan's Avatar
VT
Joined Feb 2006
3,324 Posts
I had a nice test flight on my 500 3D in the wind today; 10 mph gusty and 37 degrees temp. I haven't flown the model for three months to the day. But after swapping out the stock gyro for a futata gy401 and rebinding the model to a newly created saved model on my some-times-spazzy dx6i, all seems well. I'll tell you what, though, if this dx6i messes up again I am converting the model to 72 mHz and will run it with my beloved futaba dx6 no kidding...,
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 09:14 PM
HeliFlyer14 is online now
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Registered User
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,276 Posts
It will be interesting to hear how that new gyro does for you. I haven't really messed around trying anything new, just the stockers on all of my heli's.

For your DX6i, I got rid of mine because the throttle stick kept going to full power regardless of stick position. Happened three times, and after the third, I swapped over to a DX6. Plus, I now have 250 models I can program into it.

I haven't had my 500 out for a while due to weather too. Maybe the rain will finally subside around here. So far we are over 2x normal, and this is in western Oregon where it rains a lot anyways
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:35 PM
elan is online now
Find More Posts by elan
Registered User
elan's Avatar
VT
Joined Feb 2006
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
It will be interesting to hear how that new gyro does for you. I haven't really messed around trying anything new, just the stockers on all of my heli's.

For your DX6i, I got rid of mine because the throttle stick kept going to full power regardless of stick position. Happened three times, and after the third, I swapped over to a DX6. Plus, I now have 250 models I can program into it.

I haven't had my 500 out for a while due to weather too. Maybe the rain will finally subside around here. So far we are over 2x normal, and this is in western Oregon where it rains a lot anyways
-The Gy401 gyro is a major improvement for flying below 50 degrees or so. It also holds the tail solid during spool up whereas the stock gyro would give a bit of tail wag until the head speed comes up. But for folks who don't fly below 50 degrees outside temp the stock gyro is probably fine. Since I live in Vermont and fly year round, swapping out the gyro was a good move. Also, I got this gyro dirt cheap. I bought it used here on the classifieds for $40 shipped. Back in the day, this gyro, new cost about $240! :-)
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:14 PM
HeliFlyer14 is online now
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Registered User
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,276 Posts
See, you knew what it was. If I saw that for sale, I'd have no idea and would just keep scrolling along.

My weather is mixed for the 50 degree mark. During the winter, it is always below, even without snow. Summer, above that mark.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Edge 423mm Blades; Align 70mm CF Blades (used on Trex 500 FBL) Ziggycranston Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Aug 05, 2013 11:58 PM
Question Align 3GX Setup for Align 4-Blade head on TRex 500 MOJOMOJO1 Electric Heli Talk 0 Jul 10, 2013 09:53 AM
Sold Two Eflite Blade 400's - 1 upgraded, 1 stock $500+ in parts - most NIP jackcutrone Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Mar 03, 2013 09:32 AM
For Sale st blaze sloper 30 bucks price dump steeg Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 03, 2013 03:06 PM
Sold PRICE REDUCTION ALIGN 500 size FBL HEAD, SWASH, CF BLADES, and extra GRIPS Jolly Roger1 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Jan 31, 2013 05:32 AM