HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:38 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
Me too, and I'm trying to learn the firmware code so I can experiment on it myself. But that might take awhile.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:54 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Me too, and I'm trying to learn the firmware code so I can experiment on it myself. But that might take awhile.
That will take me another life time that I don't have.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,169 Posts
How about the plan to kit some of the required parts?
I will definately build a gimbal from your plans. Should i wait for a kit?
You think it's going to happen?
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:29 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigar View Post
How about the plan to kit some of the required parts?
I will definately build a gimbal from your plans. Should i wait for a kit?
You think it's going to happen?
I do expect to make a kit for the gimbal, but I don't expect it to be available for at least a couple weeks. I've ordered all the parts I can imagine needing, and once they arrive I'll start fitting the plates.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Ya, I'd love to see you test the multiwii controller on this gimbal.

Would the multiwii perform better as a standalone gimbal, vs. flight controller & gimbal control? Or is it going to be pretty much the same both ways?
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:15 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
I do expect to make a kit for the gimbal, but I don't expect it to be available for at least a couple weeks. I've ordered all the parts I can imagine needing, and once they arrive I'll start fitting the plates.

Cheers,
Rusty

Awesome rusty...can't wait.....
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2011
231 Posts
Seismic,

What is the breakdown on the components for weight? plates versus hardware?

i.e. would it make that much difference to use CF or better still ultra stiff CF laminate/composites such as .125 balsa-CF laminate?

If it is only a 100g saved then probably not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Ok I flew the carbon tube version today and it is performing as expected. There were no wind so pretty hard to test. I had to do some gyration with the quad to check the stabilization. My conclusion, the roll is perfect. I have to tune the tilt just a little. It may be over compensating or under compensation. However the movements are all very smooth so the gimbal works as expected.

The penalty is the 700 grams of the gimbal.

I will post video in a while. Here are the pictures of the machine after the flight.
FlyingRodent is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRodent
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRodent View Post
Seismic,

What is the breakdown on the components for weight? plates versus hardware?

i.e. would it make that much difference to use CF or better still ultra stiff CF laminate/composites such as .125 balsa-CF laminate?

If it is only a 100g saved then probably not worth the trouble.
Not worth the trouble with end grain balsa carbon plate. The reason is that they tend to crush and you have to sleeve all the holes.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Just stumbled across this thread today. Nice job! I know you have seen my gimbal ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740497 ). I found the carbon fiber tube on my gimbal had too much twist that led to flex. I was running 12mm but it looks like yours my be 14mm or larger? I went to aluminum tube and that cleared up the flex mostly. With the design of our gimbals hanging out the camera so far away from the down pole it makes it more difficuly to eliminate play and flex. I've been looking at other designs (hoverfly) that hangs the camera below and you wouldn't have that problem but the mechanism is more complicated. Anyhow great work!

I also tried the second level isolation (Similar to what Gary did) using 8 of the ears but for my gimbal it led to oscillations on the nex-5n. It wasn't vibrating all the time just occasionally. It did isolate the HF vibes nicely but the NEX-5 maybe a bit heavy for it.

I like what you did with putting the roll servo on the tilt arm. The benefit is that you can locate the camera gimbal closer to the multirotor to help eliminate flex. The downside is you are adding more weight to the roll component. I don't think this will be an issue though.

Askman is right when he says there is no free lunch in this. Definitely a lot of engineering and re engineering goes into the development on one of these. I ordered the HF gimbal controller to just get a benchmark of where my gimbal sits compared to what others have built. I'll probably just opensource all the files for mine in hopes that the community can contribute to making it better.

Brendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Last edited by Xnaron; Oct 01, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
I've been using a CC as well and the tilt axis has been my nemesis. I can get the roll axis somewhat close, not great but acceptable, but the tilt axis is either too fast or too slow. I'm not sure if this is in part due to my servo or not, and I'm using the CC as both flight controller and gimbal controller so can't fine tune it as well as when it is used as a gimbal controller only. I have an extra CC now as well as a new Paris board that I bought with the intention of using it as a gimbal controller, I'm not quite ready to give up on the CC doing both flight and gimbal control just yet but probably will eventually go to a dedicated gimbal controller.
I have also used the CC for gimbal control and pretty much think multiwii works a bit better.. I even used the custom f/w for just gimbal control on the CC. Roll always lags and does not like yawing! IMHO They will need someone on the team that understands the logic behind what is needed on a gimbal only controller and fix the hardware supply runs, so they can have more testers / contributors !

Also another FYI, Talked with Stacy @ HF and they have no plans for a 2axis gimbal controller as of Sept 3rd.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:01 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
with popularity of HFG and lack of competition, I can see why HF don't want to create a 2 axis version now. that is too bad, as they were thinking about it earlier.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:02 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
I know most are not using the Naza for gimbal control, is it the speed??

Thanks,

MIke
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I know most are not using the Naza for gimbal control, is it the speed??

Thanks,

MIke
It is to a point. Naza gimbal control is pretty limited. I had a roll twitch but that went away. I am working on tilt bounce but that is not because of the Naza. Also the servo travel adjustment is tied to the gain control which makes it difficult to tune.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Rusty - rough idea of what the gimbal kit might cost? Assuming it'll be designed to mate nicely with your camera dampener plates.

I'm using a NAZA FC - just to chime in on the discussion.

Dan
dcoplan is offline Find More Posts by dcoplan
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
366 Posts
could someone tell me what is the purpose of the potentiometer?
tks
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox