HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
ok. Then both seems fine wind wise (SS & e-starter) with an advantage for the e-starter. I would not take him (my son) on a day with wind over 10mph anyway. Cool. Sound like either one would fit the bill. I am leaning towards the e-starter. I am in no particular rush as his winter break will prob be over until I can get either airplane. If i get antsy I may order the SS if headsuprc can get it to me by mid-next week (and the e-starter when it is back in stock). At least he got to fly his micro-quad quite a bit...

Thanks! That was very helpful...
Well, if you do get "antsy" try our RC Hobby Store at:
http://www.gravesrc.com/GWS_Estarter...rter-nps-w.htm

http://www.gravesrc.com/GWS_Slow_Sti...tick-nps-b.htm
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
854 Posts
Arnav,

Sorry to hear about your Mosa 2. You're selflessly paying the price for our lessons when it's time for us to buddy box. When I'm ready to train someone on the buddy, I'll be sure to practice controls on the ground. Is it possible the second TX had a reverse servo setting?

You wlll fix your Mosa 2 because it's challenging to patch it up and see how well it flies again. You always have the option to retire her but knowing all the joys she gave you, you'll always want her in the hangar just in case you get the itch for those snap rolls.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Pitt, that Store looks great! I will keep that URL handy. I am happy to have another store/option here in FL (headsuprc seems to be getting all the PR...).

Leabres, I did test everything on the ground and everything was working well. It was not an equipment failure. I suspect that in my stupidity I didn't let go of the trainer switch so I didn't actually regain control of the Airplane. That is the only way I can explain why i pulled up and it didn't actually pull up.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
And here I was hoping to get away with the set of 2600mah I already have (so that I don't need to maintain a separate set of batts for it)...
The smallest I can use for my other Planes is 2200mah so that would have been my choice to order. But the smaller capacity batts are not expensive (< $10) so I guess I can grab a few which would make it floatier for him.

The unfortunate thing is that I called my LHS to follow up on my order and they said the Distributer said it is not expected until mid Jan. I emailed headsuprc and they said it is backordered with no ETA. Tower is out of stock as well. Anyone else carry GWS kits in the US?

I annihilated the Mosa II today. I took my Son to fly it with a buddy box (first time I'm using a buddy box). As soon as I passed control over to him, it nosed dived. I am not sure exactly what happened, but I suspect that while I corrected up, I didn't release the trainer switch . We should have trained buddy boxing on the SIM first... I am not upset, I wasn't flying it anymore and it was just sitting around. I haven't decided if I'll fix it or not.
Caliber Hobby is in Califorina.Nothing but GWS kits,parts,etc...They do have a thread on rcgroups
http://www.caliberhobby.com/index.html
roberted5 is offline Find More Posts by roberted5
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined May 2005
43 Posts
Well I had a fun first flight with a mosa 1st gen in 2004 ish. Built it... took my time... painted it with h2o based paint... put in a himax... I think it was. Went to the field on a clam day flew my slow stick around to get hyped up. Checked controls 4 times. Range check... good... Advanced throttle too fast and torqued it back to solid ground.... wish I could say it was a control issue.
flybrain76 is offline Find More Posts by flybrain76
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined May 2005
43 Posts
Anyone notice that the blue SS has thicker foam on the wings? I just got a pair for me and my 17 yr old daughter to build and fly. Looks twice as thick I have to say. And looks 1twice gen thick on paint as wel
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Yes, the modern SS comes with thicker wings and tail feathers, they look tougher but I personally would like to have the older thinner ones.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined May 2005
43 Posts
I can see that from a fragility vs flexibility standpoint. Gen 1 were durable and would flex and not snap. Gona take a little work to get the new stuff to be as tough. I was thinking it was a color thing because the yellow and blue ones I have are both new but even between them there is 100% difference.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
I have red Slow Stick wings from 1-2 years ago that are about twice the thickness as the last 3 red wing Slow Sticks I got in the past few months. Though the new thinner ones have the film coating (it's not paint) on the bottom just the same as the top which likely compensates a bit of strength for the thinner wings.

I also have blue wings from 2 years ago that are the thicker variant.

So I assume the color of the wings has little to do with their thickness, rather than the timeframe they were manufactured.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Arnav, you wanna fly something in the wind? Scratchbuild a MagnumFFF Reloaded from blue foam, 1000kv motor, 1320mah 3s with a 8x6 prop...3 channel plane I built and flew in 15-20mph wind easily.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2005
43 Posts
Well me and my daughter started the slow stick build today. Her yellow one has the 2way kidded paint and thin wing and mine has one sided thick blue wing. The blue wing is slightly smaller than the yellow one. 1/2-3/4 in width and in chord. Both have the BL. Both have same accessories and build manual. Both have no keepers for the tail wheel. . Bit we made the tail feathers and fixed the fuse today. Gona grab some strapping tape tomorrow to tape the rods on the leading and trailing edge tomorrow. Any new need to know mods that I can get in before its to late? Gona use du bro micro horns and pushrods to keep it in control. What else am I missing?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
FB76..

You didn't get the rear pushrod guides?
Tail wheel fits into the bottom of that guide.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined May 2005
43 Posts
Yes the mount for the tailwheel was there but the keepers for the wheel to stay on the axel were not. Gona grab us micro wheel collars when I get back to the LHS I have been helping out at.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:57 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,238 Posts
I like the thicker Slow Stick wings, because they don't need bracing. Years ago, I had an SS with thin wings. If it built up a little too much speed, as in a dive, the wings twisted dramatically, giving them a lot of washout. But this changed the overall Angle of Incidence and thus the Decalage, so the SS would enter a vertical dive. If the SS were high enough, I could throttle back and pull out slowly. This scared me a number of times.

When I adapted those wings to another airplane, I added wing bracing struts. No more twist.

I now have a newer Slow Stick with thicker wings. I use this airplane to carry a video camcorder, so it's much heavier than stock. Even so, I've had no problems with the unbraced wings, and I can fly the Slow Stick with complete confidence.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:43 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Flybrain76,

Make sure that you have the white, translucent, parts tree, I think that it includes many tiny keepers in different sizes, two of them at least are able to fit the wire/axel of the tail wheel of SS.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen