HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:16 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,682 Posts
Discussion
Good Fortune

Seeing as I will soon be attending a vintage fly in, it is time to pick a plane to fly. Initially the black magic was going, but its been a couple of years since I've been in a major center, so I am sure to do a little shopping - and the BM pretty much fills my van.

So - I decided on the Live Wire as my weapon of choice. At 1.5m span, its easier to fit in the van, but is still big enough to have some presence.

Now late last year the rudder servo broke, and the replacement servo was a slightly different shape - it turned into a long frustrating process but eventually everything was back together again. Then came gliding, and moving into the new workshop and basically my favorite plane has been gathering dust.

So yesterday I pulled her out and charged her up. The fin was broken in the a couple of places (courtesy of me dropping quarter rounding on it) and generally it was a bit scruffy. Quick repairs were done, and today she went for a test flip.

Well- the trim was horribly out, but once that was sorted she flew OK, although it was quite breezy. I had intended to take her up high, and then glide a bit, but the trim issues had me me flying low square patterns so that I could keep an eye on what was happening. There was also an alarming tendency tendency to dive at high throttle settings. The five minute timer went off, so I set up for landing, and of course drifted right into beautifull lift. So, did a circle or two to get some height, and then floated in to one of the most shocking landings ever- I got everything wrong and dropped it flat on its tummy from about 2 feet. Very embarrassing.

So, why the "good fortune"? Well, the fire wall and motor mount were only attached at the bottom (that quartet rounding accident again), which I only found when looking for damage from the arrival. Also, when I unplugged the battery the positive wire came off the terminal;!!!

Its all repaired now, and tomorrow I'll attend to some cosmetics, but its scary to think how close I came to losing my favorite toy.

The good news is that she will definitely thermal a bit That despite being a fat thing with a blunt nose - probably mostly because of a wing loading under 20g/ dm sq.

So - when you plug yours lipos in remember to give the wires a good hard tug, even if they have been fine for years

Al
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,167 Posts
Thanks for the story, love the Live Wire. I used to have one with pulse rudder and a Cub .09. More of a guided Free Flight, but great flights. What did we know back then.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Today, 02:46 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,419 Posts
Dodged a bullet there Owl. Way back a clubmate had the same problem with a 0.40 powered aerobatic model, but he didn't know about it until the engine, firewall and fuel tank departed from the rest of the model during a fast pass. The balance of the airframe fluttered to earth with no further damage but the "power module" ran long enough to disappear into an adjacent corn field, it took hours to find it!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member