HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,032 Posts
Discussion
This is what happens when your rotor falls off the helicopter in midflight.

Was doing mild pitch pumps and I heard a metallic POP, about a second later the rotor disk appeared to collapse and the helicopter dropped like a rock from about 100 feet up. This happened at the top of a pitch pump.

I barely had time to hit throttle hold before it hit. I found it sitting in the grass on it's skids with the rotor head sitting next to it. What wasn't apparent as it fell was that the rotor head had completely separated from the airframe and it free fell 100 feet to the ground with the rotor landing next to it. It appeared to have landed squarely on the skids. I wouldn't have thought even gorilla gear could survive that.

I believe what happened was that at some point during the pitch pumps the jesus bolt broke, then when the hub became unloaded at the top of a pitch pump what was left of the screw came out and the head came off the shaft a moment later. I really don't see how it failed though as I don't fly hard 3D. From now on I will be replacing the jesus bolt every 200 flights or so.

The shaft collar slipped when it hit the ground, the mainshaft is also bent. Probably caused by the force of the "landing". Gorilla gear is slightly bent but still in one piece and can be fixed by boiling and it and then reshaping.

Gouge in the swashplate and the bearing is also gritty so it needs to be replaced. Time to buy another Chaos 500 swash, at least they aren't expensive. Main gear has half a tooth missing and there is some scraped plastic on the auto rotation gear where it hit the edge of the frame when the collar slipped. Helioption single piece mainshaft block is undamaged and the main bearings are fine. One of the canopy locks is also slightly bent and will have to be replaced.

Swash driver arms are both bent and the loops on the plastic radius arms were ripped in half when the head came off. One head link is also completely missing. Feathering shaft is still true and the blade grip bearings are fine. There is a small scratch on each of the pitch control arms (no idea what caused that) but they are otherwise undamaged. Blades survived and are undamaged.

The rotor somehow managed to hit the boom. Boom seems to have slipped forward slightly because the belt is now loose. The tail rotor shaft is slightly bent even though the tail doesn't appear to have hit anything. As with the mainshaft this was probably caused by the sudden deceleration when it landed on the skids.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Apr 23, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:39 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
Could have been much worse, looks like you'll be back up pretty quick...

Was it a shouldered bolt for the Jesus bolt? You should never use a fully threaded bolt for a Jesus bolt....
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,642 Posts
What helicopter? Did you use the stock bolt that came with the heli?
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
Could have been much worse, looks like you'll be back up pretty quick...
There's more damage than I first thought. The battery tray is bent and the left frame has stress fractures in it. The canopy locks turned out to not be damaged, it was only the screws that were bent. I was planning on stretching it to swing 520mm blades which involves a new head so I'm just going to wait for those parts to arrive before working on it. I had a backup set of frames laying around so that won't be a problem.

Quote:
Was it a shouldered bolt for the Jesus bolt? You should never use a fully threaded bolt for a Jesus bolt....
It was a shouldered bolt, the stock one that comes with the shaft. I have no idea why it broke like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
What helicopter? Did you use the stock bolt that came with the heli?
Trex 500 with standard sized servos, the bolt was stock.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Apr 24, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,032 Posts
The broken frames are fixable, the extra bridge at the bottom of the motor hole is cracked so I'll just swap them with another set I have remove those bridges (so they are like normal Trex 500 frames) and set them aside as backups.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:29 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,768 Posts
What happens is you were s$iting bricks oh I am sorry s$iting rocks lol! Christmas Vacation.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:22 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
What happens is you were s$iting bricks oh I am sorry s$iting rocks lol! Christmas Vacation.
Hmmmmm..... I danno..Playing detective here. It looks like he just forgot to put the bolt in and after three months he tried to fly it. ~ The swash driver arms are bent because they were the only thing driving the head. Also the head would of been at least 50ft from the crash.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,015 Posts
Good ol Jesus bold snapped form being over tighten or excessive wear
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Hmmmmm..... I danno..Playing detective here. It looks like he just forgot to put the bolt in and after three months he tried to fly it. ~ The swash driver arms are bent because they were the only thing driving the head. Also the head would of been at least 50ft from the crash.
This is my main helicopter and I have been flying it regularly, also I heard the bolt break in midair (the loud pop) I didn't even know the head had come off when it fell, only found out when I walked over to where it crashed.

Quote:
The swash driver arms are bent because they were the only thing driving the head.
Without the jesus bolt the head isn't being driven by anything. I'm pretty sure they bent when the head came off the shaft. The plastic radius arms were also torn in half.

Quote:
Also the head would of been at least 50ft from the crash.
I would have thought that too but it wouldn't be the only time an accident or mechanical failure happens in a weird way that you wouldn't expect.

Sequence of events:

Pitch pumps, at the top of a pump I bear a loud pop and I know something is wrong. So I stop everything thinking to myself "what just happened?" and getting ready to bring it down fast. Before this can happen (about 1-2 seconds passed since the pop) it drops out of it's hover and I hit throttle hold as it falls.

As it starts to fall I see one of the blades turning to about 80-90 degrees, I didn't think of this till later but the only way to "see" it is if the blade were stopped, which must have been the case. I remember thinking at the time that it looked like the rotor disk "collapsed" (though the blades were straight out), I didn't really understand what I had seen till I thought about it.

Here is what I think happened. As the head pulled up the links pulled positive collective on the blades which increased drag and stopped the rotor because nothing was driving it. It still had just enough upward force to pull the links and swash drivers off, but not enough to go far (it wasn't actually turning at this point)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Apr 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
That is an amazing story. I hope to NEVER see it in person, especially if I have my fingers on the sticks. I would need to go home for a change if it does happen to me.

ROG

ps sounds like the reflex flip to TH did not help much. maybe a ballistic chute is what we need for our machines in case this happens again.
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old May 31, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
250 Posts
The fact that you were able to see your blades stop spinning reminds me of a friends one way bearing issue... does your one way spin freely? If not, the one way stopping the spinning of the head could have caused the Jesus Bolt to snap due to excessive pressure... Then everything else would be collateral damage...
mrmj2u is online now Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
The fact that you were able to see your blades stop spinning reminds me of a friends one way bearing issue... does your one way spin freely? If not, the one way stopping the spinning of the head could have caused the Jesus Bolt to snap due to excessive pressure... Then everything else would be collateral damage...
One way bearing is perfectly fine (it's a SAB Goblin bearing so quality is not suspect). I'm pretty sure what happened was that the hub was freewheeling on the shaft while the links dumped a huge amount of positive pitch into the rotor disk as the hub and airframe separated, which stopped the blades due to air resistance.