HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Asp 108a

Good Evening,

I am trying to build a twin rotor model plane for a Uni project.

At this point we have been looking into the ASP 108A engines as they seem to provide a good output with a good power to weight and power to price relationship.

However, would you consider this set of engines reliable? Would the combination of both actually be able to provide a power output of 6HP?

Is there any sort of set of engines that you would recommend that would be able to provide a similar performance at low prices?

Looking forward for your opinions.

Best Wishes,
Latinnus
Latinnus is offline Find More Posts by Latinnus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:23 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,349 Posts
The problem with the low cost engines, is that they tend to be hit and miss in their quality and reliability. You may get a good engine, but the odds get worse for getting two good engines. But you might get lucky though, as they have been improving over the years. Usually the engine itself is fine, it is whether the carburetor works OK or not.

If you aren't experienced with using and running model glow engines, I would suggest a OS 1.20 AX engine as you are likely to have a much more successful experience. The ASp engines amy work OK, but there is risk in buying them and discovering you have problems and how to deal with the problems.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:04 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
573 Posts
Im with Earl on this one , sometimes individual engines will run fine and then when put together the probs. start . I havent got any of these engines but have a few asps- magnums that run fine but have heard that the 108 can be a problem child so I would go with the ax120 even though it cost more as it may end up saving u alot of grief .Cheers the pope
the pope is offline Find More Posts by the pope
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:24 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,349 Posts
I did acquire a ASP 1.08 a couple three years ago, but I haven't done anything with it or used it for anything yet.

But a few years ago I acquired a couple of ASP .61 four stroke engines and they both had problems. I had to stabilize the needle valve with a short piece of fuel tubing, as the engines were running erratically and having needle valve adjustment problems with false needle settings. Then I had to use 15% nitromethane glow fuel in the engines to get them to run OK. I normally use 5% nitro glow fuel in everything and these engines needed more nitromethane in the glow fuel. But even though they were now running OK, and adjusted well, they both acted like they were loading up at idle as the engines would unload a lot of smoke when you advanced the throttle, after idling for a while. It might improve over time, but I was concerned and thus I didn't use them in a twin engine plane project I had planned for them. I didn't want a engine to quit on me in the air. I just didn't feel comfortable using them in a twin engine plane. I went ahead and used a couple of Saito four stroke engines instead.

More recently I bought three ASP .61 two stroke engines and two of them ran pretty good, but the third had carburetor issues. But I am seriously considering just using the new Fox carburetors on the engines instead, or just the one engine. I have a triple engine project I am thinking about using them on. I have a Fox carb to ASP .61 adapter made and it looks like real good way to do it.

But such mods aren't for newbies to RC planes or RC engines though.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 06, 2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typo correction and add more information
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,391 Posts
I have a ASP 1.08. As engines go, its only ok. Like has been said earlier, their QC is 50/50. Mine would run good one time, then be finicky the next two times. When running good its fairly strong but the inconsistency is aggravating. I surely wouldnt recommend it for a twin project. Maybe if you replaced the carbs on them, but seems like a better idea to spend more so you wont have to worry about an engine out and loss of the plane.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Two airplanes at my flying field use ASP 108 2 Strokes. They seem to idle good and have a TON of power. Both of the engines were acquired new and were broken in correctly. I would go for the O.S. 120AX as Earl suggested. I have heard they are very reliable and easy to tune. The only setback is the price.
Rcflyyer1 is online now Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1