LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Discussion
Variable timing ESC in pylon racers "turbo boost"

OK,
Forgive me if this one has been covered.. I'm sure it has , but my searches didn't lead me to an answer..

I was chatting with an RC car friend of mine and he was telling me about variable timing on there ESC's. Was quite surprised to hear about this, and I wondered if this same technology is being utilised on pylon racers, knowing that they unload in the air.
Maybe Im way off base, but seems that some clever advanced timing that opens up after the prop unloads would be benefitial for the all out speed junkies.. Maybe something similar is being used and i don't know todays latest pylon race equipment.

I know it would likely not be allowed in competition. Just wondering if it has been explored for all out speed performance.

Heres a link to a RC car ESC that has the variable timing ESC I am refering to. They call it "Hybrid Boost Turbo" and it's highly customisable and computer programmable.
http://www.speedpassion.net/reventon/reventonpro.asp

Thanks for any reply.
Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:35 PM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Ok.. Nobody seems to want to touch this,.
Just an update, did a little more reasearch and talked to some people.. Theser is one key factor I didn't mention.. The motors must have sensors in it. It's an additional disk that track exact postion of the motor, to obviosuly allow finite control of advancing the timing.
An example of an RC car motor with senors can be found here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3250KV.html
Obviously an appropriate sensored ECS that uses the "turbo" technology.
Hobbyking does have some..
Just surprised someone hasn't try translating this to fast rc planes.. Maybe I will post this in another forum
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:44 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
332 Posts
Sounds interesting. If you find something please update this site so we can see it.
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,670 Posts
The reason cars do it because you need the low end torque to accelerate, then top end RPM for speed. Pylon planes only worry about top end, so not really useful. If you could "time" for a speed boost, why not do it all of the time?

If a variable pitch prob was available, that might be something to play with, but it's useless otherwise.

Red
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:29 PM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Yes, thanks Alien tech, you might be right.. Unless they need bottom end and top end.
Could maybe work in a different situation, just thought I'd put it out there..
Hearing the boost they get in RPM is really significant. Maybe for some high power wing guys will give it a shot.. There squeezing every put of watts out of their systems..
Thanks for the reply though.. Should have put it in the power system I guess..
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:43 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,670 Posts
Let me put it another way. Aircraft setups are already at max timing. There is nothing left to gain.

What the car guys are doing is running a larger than normal pinion gear, retarding the timing for acceleration, then "advancing" it to where it normally is. It's false economy logic for an airplane. Won't work. There is nothing to gain. You can be 100% sure that if there was, it would have been exploited waaaaay before now by the F5B & D (competition) guys.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member