Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:30 PM
Lost Realist
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Apr 2012
71 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Discussion
Offer Ettiquete?

****Etiquette**** Whats the proper ettiquete when the first guy sends you an offer and someone after that offers you full price? Do you ask the first guy to pay full price or do you go straight to the first guy who offered full price?

I haven't responded to either yet.
LyonNightroad is offline Find More Posts by LyonNightroad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:37 PM
Lost Realist
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Apr 2012
71 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Okay I just PM'd the first asking if he is willing to take full price. I hope that was the right thing to do
LyonNightroad is offline Find More Posts by LyonNightroad
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:56 PM
Changing one life at a time...
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
362 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
I think it only becomes an issue if you accept someone's offer and then get a better one. At that point, you had already made a commitment. Until you accept an offer, there really isn't an agreement. I personally think it was good etiquette that you mentioned the better offer to the first person and gave him a chance to match it. Dibs only counts after "I'll take it."
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Housecleaning Time
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:19 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,168 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
If you haven't replied to either then tell the low ball-er that the item is already sold and sell to full price buyer.

No shame in telling him its gone if he was trying to undercut the amount you want for the item. Might even re-list the item at a higher price knowing its worth more.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:00 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
If you haven't replied to either then tell the low ball-er that the item is already sold and sell to full price buyer.

No shame in telling him its gone if he was trying to undercut the amount you want for the item. Might even re-list the item at a higher price knowing its worth more.
BS on relisting it for more $ (note to self not to trade with so and so)
Was good of you to ask, you could have gone either way, in my opinion, you sir are a good trading partner.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:02 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,168 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
I meant you sell it to the lowballer at a price and then he sells it at what you are asking for.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:04 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,697 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonNightroad View Post
Okay I just PM'd the first asking if he is willing to take full price. I hope that was the right thing to do
You did the right thing, but don't screw yourself being a nice guy. If low price guy doesn't get back to you quickly, sell it to full price guy with no guilt.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,121 Posts
Trader Rating: 56
What you did is not so much 'etiquette' as 'integrity'..You did the right thing.
The lowballer may just be "doing his thing",and seriously wants the item.Giving him the chance first, earns you points in my book.
You went on my "buy from" list.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:37 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,439 Posts
Trader Rating: 174
It would be proper to send a PM to the first offer ...if you accept or...Its a lil early to accept your offer...I'll wait a bit to see if someone will pay my asking price...I mean we are talking etiquette right...

In all transactions...Communication is the #1 rule in my book for a Great Transaction......But Thats just my Opinion...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:03 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,216 Posts
Trader Rating: 75
Sell to who ever you want. Its your stuff. Sell it cheap, sell it fast, sell it high,,,, your choice. By dragging your feet and being wishy washy about whom to sell to,, you may miss a sale all together. Take action! Wrap it up! Git er done!
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,121 Posts
I just PM'd some one-I've been looking for "X" airplane-told him of my interest,but I'm dealing for someone else....Can't just "go" for it.
Told him to sell if he gets a chance,but it's definitely sold if the client agrees.
I can't be upset either way,but I would appreciate a little time to confer.

I'm not concerned about etiquette here-it is what it is.Snooze and lose.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:29 AM
Controlled Chaos
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Trader Rating: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
What you did is not so much 'etiquette' as 'integrity'..You did the right thing.
The lowballer may just be "doing his thing",and seriously wants the item.Giving him the chance first, earns you points in my book.
You went on my "buy from" list.

Same here, integrity is a rare thing these days!
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,121 Posts
Integrity--"doing the right thing,when NO ONE IS WATCHING!"
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:36 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
Same here, integrity is a rare thing these days!
Not rare. Not in vogue with the popular crowd. But there are plenty who possess it and practice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Integrity--"doing the right thing,when NO ONE IS WATCHING!"
Is what reap what you sew is all about, we all know in our hearts what the right thing to do is. Those who intend to stand before God on judgement day are good friends, good husbands, good fathers, & lastly good traders.

I look forward to buying from both of you gentlemen! And in fact I will pay extra to trade with a man of integrity.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:34 PM
List too Big for a Bucket!
USA, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jul 2010
410 Posts
Trader Rating: 50
What a way to start the new year. Integrity IS everything. Sellers have held things for me, why...because I follow through. If someone doesn't want to, then I would never hold it against them- that is just business. If a seller needs $ fast then sell it to the first person who offers your asking price. Afford any earlier replies the chance to meet that price. Ultimately it is the seller's item to do with as he/she chooses. Happy New Year and Happy Trading to all! E.
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector