HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
noise maker for electric outrunners

Hey guys,

I've been flying for a long time, all brushless outrunners that are smooth and quiet. My buddy shows up with a HZ supercub (brushed, gearbox, etc). While this is inferior to my outrunners, I LOVED the way I could hear the 'rpm' of the motor and also, how to prop stopped when throttle was cut - seeing it float in with a still prop was kinda cool.

My outrunners are so smooth, the prop just keeps going when throttle is cut due to no friction.

I came up with something, wanted to get some feedback. The idea was to put something in the way that the prop would strike every revolution so I could hear the motors RPM's. I put a little zip tie that extended into the path of the prop. It doesn't damage the prop, neither does it seem to decrease flight time.

It is actually pretty cool because it gives the cub a 'scale' like sound of a tiny little motor in flight. I really like it. However, I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar or know someone who has? OR, does anyone have any better ideas than a zip tie to achieve this?

here's some pics, you can see the zip tie extend out from the cowl and a few mm into the props path. It bends out the way pretty easy when the prop hits it.

dannymac is offline Find More Posts by dannymac
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,800 Posts
I bet you also used to have a piece of card running against the spokes on your push bike, to make it sound like a motorbike.

To stop the prop, have you tried setting the ESC's brake to On.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Lol. You hit the nail on the head! That's exactly how I rolled as a kid! Lol.

Yea, I could set the brake on the esc, but still doesn't address the lack of sound from the motor.
dannymac is offline Find More Posts by dannymac
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:18 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Lets hear it then ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:02 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,800 Posts
For you next model get one big enough for one of the sound system that some of the sale guys are using, there are a few out there now. You can get just about any engine sound, inlines, radials, rotaries, probably also turbines. Here's just one -

http://www.mrrcsound.com/

Scoll down and play the video, there are also quite a few videos on Youtube, the warbirds sound really sweet.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
631 Posts
Thanks for that link,just the other day I was wondering about sound.The ziptie trick is awful easy to try,hmm...I'll be back
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:52 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
Thanks for that link,just the other day I was wondering about sound.The ziptie trick is awful easy to try,hmm...I'll be back
Please post the Audio Maurice
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
How about a nitro engine! LOL
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:25 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
I've done something similar by taping "tabs" on the motor can then pushing drinking straws through the firewall. The longer/wider the straw, the deeper the pitch. You could take it a step further and make a resonator box to amplify the sound.

warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Deagon
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
...I would imagine that these devices would be introducing vibrations that could be unwanted, possibly damaging ?
omnivorr is offline Find More Posts by omnivorr
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:27 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
I've done something similar by taping "tabs" on the motor can then pushing drinking straws through the firewall. The longer/wider the straw, the deeper the pitch. You could take it a step further and make a resonator box to amplify the sound.
Nice drawings! Got any close up video footage of the straw method in action ? would love to here this and also to see if there is any vibration problems.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
Not any more. I had it on a 33" foamie Pitts (Sapac) and it worked great.... no vibrations... the straws and fins are flexible enough that they absorb all of the impact. And the "fins" also help keep the motor cool, swirling up the air inside the cowl. The idea is to position the straw at just the right distance that the fins just barely flick it.... it's not a heavy interference.

It's very simple to test: remove your prop (for safety), then tape a fin on the motor can, then run the motor up while you hold a straw (or anything else) into the path of the fin. I used a straw because its durable and flexible and gives a hollow "pop" whenever it is struck.

Instead of a straw, you could use a bamboo skewer that drilled/glued into a wood firewall, and build a "resonator box" that helps amplify the sound. Even a small cardboard box will do. If you think cardboard doesn't make a good resonator, check this out:

Cardboard Upright Bass (0 min 54 sec)
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
Just some follow-up. I used credit card "tines" instead of straws but you get the idea. Dental flossers would have worked great too.

Dynam Waco YMF : Noisemaker (2 min 0 sec)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2008
50 Posts
Great idea! I love the straws in the firewall and tape on the outrunner casing. I will try that. Seems like it will work well. My zip tie idea doesn't last because the zip tie breaks.

Anyone else got video of the straws and tape method? Or a different method all together?
maccasvanquish is offline Find More Posts by maccasvanquish