Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,234 Posts
I've been building mine up but I had to do a couple separate orders.

Maybe a parts list?

I didn't realize you had to order the accessory kits for each motor - I should have known. Even though I ordered them I think I will mount the motors from the bottom and use 3mm prop adapters.

I am paused trying to figure out a good way to mount just a few lights for orientation when I fly indoors in our local golf dome. Other than that I'm pretty much ready to put it together.

So far it feels quality.. I'm wondering if one can replace all the links and balls with trex 500 ones. I suppose so long as the screws are 3mm?
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:22 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I've been building mine up but I had to do a couple separate orders.

Maybe a parts list?

I didn't realize you had to order the accessory kits for each motor - I should have known. Even though I ordered them I think I will mount the motors from the bottom and use 3mm prop adapters.

I am paused trying to figure out a good way to mount just a few lights for orientation when I fly indoors in our local golf dome. Other than that I'm pretty much ready to put it together.

So far it feels quality.. I'm wondering if one can replace all the links and balls with trex 500 ones. I suppose so long as the screws are 3mm?
The Leds I have are from Hobbypartz and are 12V leds I run of the Balance plug on my 3S packs. I have a flytron Strobon that runs off the receiver on channel 6 as a tail strobe that helps a lot with orientation.
As far as mounting the motors from underneath, that may be a better solution facing the prospect of a crash. The twisting forces on the micro/mini servo is too great and strips the gears. lower motor may work in your favor, 3.17mm motor shafts on NTM 28 series motors not 3mm.
H
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
What are the widest motors people have mounted on this tricopter, or the Turnigy Talon Mounts?

I'm contemplating a second frame with 380mm arms, some disc motors like the Turnigy 5017/5014 or NX-4008 low KV with 13-14x4.7" props for AP AV.

Also, copterframes.com make a minimax 3 legged 2 axis camera mount for ~$220 that is CF and GF that would complement the frame really nicely.
Name: minimaxmount.jpg
Views: 135
Size: 53.5 KB
Description:
Thoughts?
H
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,234 Posts
UGH HK specs say 3mm. I was able to (barely) get the prop adapters on. I cleaned up the burrs and using a 7/16 drill bit turned by my fingers, was able to clean up the inside.

Is 16g wire for the motor extensions a bit overkill? I feel like the ntm motors use 20g wire themselves? I may go with 20g or something smaller than 16 anyway.

I also have a mix of HK and hobbypartz lights and will run it off the balance tap for a 4S. This means I will run it off the 12V tap - ending up with a slightly uneven cell balance at the end of a flight - but shouldn't be too much. I've done this on my quad.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:41 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,234 Posts

Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:34 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
What are the widest motors people have mounted on this tricopter, or the Turnigy Talon Mounts?
H
I think the motor mounts have 16mm 19mm holes. So if the motors have equal distanced screw holes then you're good? But you might hit the raised part of the metal on the mount being so wide so I'm not so sure.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
I think the motor mounts have 16mm 19mm holes. So if the motors have equal distanced screw holes then you're good? But you might hit the raised part of the metal on the mount being so wide so I'm not so sure.
The motors I was thinking of match the mounting holes, but I was concerned about the bell hitting the mount where it goes up. I was hoping someone here tried the disk motors on a talon platform.
Thanks,
H
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:35 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
UGH HK specs say 3mm. I was able to (barely) get the prop adapters on. I cleaned up the burrs and using a 7/16 drill bit turned by my fingers, was able to clean up the inside.

Is 16g wire for the motor extensions a bit overkill? I feel like the ntm motors use 20g wire themselves? I may go with 20g or something smaller than 16 anyway.

I also have a mix of HK and hobbypartz lights and will run it off the balance tap for a 4S. This means I will run it off the 12V tap - ending up with a slightly uneven cell balance at the end of a flight - but shouldn't be too much. I've done this on my quad.
Interesting idea on the 3-4S balance lead. The LEDs don't draw much and so I agree you could do that. I assume you use a 4S balance plug and cell 3 positive of the 4 cell leads and the negative to get your 12V. Neat way of looking at that.

H
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
Quote:

i ran led lights from my 3s balance plug with a 3300 nano battery and now i cant seem to balance charge all cell. theres a cell i cant balance back to normal. its like .2 volts off from the other two cells. might just be a bad coincidence though.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
Love the plexiglass protector. i think ill do that too lol
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:14 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Interesting idea on the 3-4S balance lead. The LEDs don't draw much and so I agree you could do that. I assume you use a 4S balance plug and cell 3 positive of the 4 cell leads and the negative to get your 12V. Neat way of looking at that.

H
Yep I run 4S on a lot of stuff and I don't want to use an extra battery or even use another bec (HK now has a 12V output bec) so I just cut a 4s balance extension and use - and + lead #3 which is a 12v lead. When charging the charger takes care of any slight imbalance.

Come to think if it you could probably run it off + #1 and + #4? That gets you the same voltage drop? I haven't tried this but using the 2 LED taps randomly at least wouldn't cause the same cell to be imbalanced every single time. If that even matters.

Quote:
Love the plexiglass protector. i think ill do that too lol
Go for it, just cut it slowly. I cracked a good part of my sheet trying to cut too fast. Luckily it was the part outside of the square I was cutting.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Go for it, just cut it slowly. I cracked a good part of my sheet trying to cut too fast. Luckily it was the part outside of the square I was cutting.
How thick is it?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,234 Posts
Quote:
How thick is it?
I myself got 1/8". You can get them real thin and even a bit thicker. I got a 12x12" sheet from amazon. Was like $7. You can probably go to a science store and get some for cheaper but amazon is easy.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,011 Posts
Quote:
I myself got 1/8". You can get them real thin and even a bit thicker. I got a 12x12" sheet from amazon. Was like $7. You can probably go to a science store and get some for cheaper but amazon is easy.
thanks, i ordered it.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,234 Posts
DUH, TWO esc's need to have their BEC enabled. M1 and any one of the other ones. No wonder my tail servo wasn't working...