Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:21 AM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Discussion
Motor, ESC, propeller recommendations for Hawk F5B/Wilco

Dear friends,

I am thinking in buying a Hawk F5B/Wilco (I think is the same plane) and I have a no clear idea about motor and propeller. For 4S-5S confirguration.

I have read something about boxgears, but I am not very convinced.

What do you recommend me or have you tested? On the other hand, does it fit anything more than 36 mm. diameter?

What are the advantages of having a low kv motor (600 kv, for example) in hotliners?

Thank you in advance.
skybattle is offline Find More Posts by skybattle
Last edited by skybattle; Mar 13, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:39 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
I did one with a Hacker B50 13S 6.7:1 swinging a 16" prop on a 6S 3000mAh pack. Probably not competition performance but still enough to impress and easy to handle. Also everything landed cool.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:54 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,155 Posts
Quote:
I have read something about boxgears, but I am not very convinced.
No point screwing around with outrunners direct drive, unless you want a budget warmliner.

Be very convinced that a higher kV motor through a gearbox will provide far better performance

Quote:
What are the advantages of having a low kv motor (600 kv, for example) in hotliners?
None, other than its cheap.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
No point screwing around with outrunners direct drive, unless you want a budget warmliner.

Be very convinced that a higher kV motor through a gearbox will provide far better performance

None, other than its cheap.
+1

Recommend you try Kontronik Kira 600-38 with their 6.7:1 gearbox and use cheap Red Brick 200A controller and Turnigy 4S 3000mah 30C Lipo.

Prop, use RFM 16x17 slim with 38mm strait spinner.

That is about as cheap as it gets with reliable componants.
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Dec 2004
741 Posts
Either Kira 600-38/6.7 of Hacker B50-6L/6.7 would be a good choice on 4S for the Hawk.

The Hacker having the slight benefit that if you would ever consider switching to a 5S setup (in a different plane preferably, too much power for the Hawk), it would be safer and more suitable to run on 5S.

Regards,
Gerben
Gerben is online now Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
Either Kira 600-38/6.7 of Hacker B50-6L/6.7 would be a good choice on 4S for the Hawk.

The Hacker having the slight benefit that if you would ever consider switching to a 5S setup (in a different plane preferably, too much power for the Hawk), it would be safer and more suitable to run on 5S.

Regards,
Gerben
Agreed.

A cheap source could be lipoly.de

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:02 PM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your answers. I have a Sprinter one, so I was not thinking in repeating a cheap motor (and cheap performance ).

You have answered all my doubts. The Sprinter is actually a warmliner, but I understand that even the Hawk is a "little hotliner" compared to others .

Day to day I am aware of the importance of fitting the perfect motor in the perfect plane!

Regards,

Fermin
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,250 Posts
This is what I use in my Hawk these days. Not been able to get much flight time lately, but the setup seems good so far.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=151

Good luck and have fun
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Mar 28, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybattle View Post
Thank you to everyone for your answers. I have a Sprinter one, so I was not thinking in repeating a cheap motor (and cheap performance ).

You have answered all my doubts. The Sprinter is actually a warmliner, but I understand that even the Hawk is a "little hotliner" compared to others .

Day to day I am aware of the importance of fitting the perfect motor in the perfect plane!

Regards,

Fermin
The Hawk is fully composite, the Sprinter has a two part wing and the wing is made out of foam with balsa skin. The Hawk has been proven to be strong in the air, the Sprinter.......

It's like going from a push bike to a 250cc bike.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Thank you again for your comments.

Yes, I was a little disappointed with the Sprinter, because it is easy to imagine what will happen in a fast turn... It flies well, but not for extreme maneuvers.

I am thinking in a 3 minutes flight more or less, so Kira or Hacker are very good options. Although expensive, it can be an investment for future .

But Arcteryxxx recommendation can be something interesting (for a short and intense flight at low price!).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:03 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
About flight time you will never be able to empty your pack in 3min :-P The setup I mentioned landed completely cool after 10min show flights, I can not imagine the packs beeing empty before the timer says 30minutes. A hotliner only uses the power in like 5sec burts you know.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:56 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,250 Posts
Flight time vs. motor time....
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybattle View Post
Thank you again for your comments.

Yes, I was a little disappointed with the Sprinter, because it is easy to imagine what will happen in a fast turn... It flies well, but not for extreme maneuvers.

I am thinking in a 3 minutes flight more or less, so Kira or Hacker are very good options. Although expensive, it can be an investment for future .

But Arcteryxxx recommendation can be something interesting (for a short and intense flight at low price!).
Expensive is in the eye of the beholder. Many people spend a lot more money on other things and also on other parts for this hobby. It's far more easy to buy a Hacker or Kontronik motor with the factory guaranty then it is to put a cheaper drive together that will last equally as long. Specially when you are a novice at these things.

For the full story;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5+dollar+motor

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8+dollar+motor

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,762 Posts
If I mention my $1000+++ NEU paper weight again I think you guys will kill me