HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
If you weren't around a few pages ago (this thread moves fast!) I posted some bench testing results and included the 10" version of the GF woody. You can see my wiki pages here:

http://itsqv.homeserver.com/wiki/ind...%22_Quad_Props

and

Cheers!
Hi Mark!
Thanks for your reply!
I have seen you tests! And they are very important for all of us. But I don't if any of those Carbon propellers are good and if the are better that graupners e-prop.. In your test there aren't any propellers of the carbons from GLB or rctimer.

Thank you once again!!! Which one are you prefer from your test?

Regards from Greece!
lakis21 is online now Find More Posts by lakis21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,751 Posts
Quote:
If you weren't around a few pages ago (this thread moves fast!) I posted some bench testing results and included the 10" version of the GF woody. You can see my wiki pages here:

and

Cheers!
Thanks Mark.

I have seen that chart before, quite helpful and it looks like the wood props do fairly well. I guess I should also be a bit more specific with my questions.

Although efficiency and thrust are important, flight characteristics are as important, if not more, for me. How difficult are they to balance? How smooth and quite are they, etc..

I only fly multi's for aerial video so a hex that flies really smooth for five minutes is a lot more interesting to me than one that is not nearly as smooth but flies for 10 minutes.

So I'd like to hear anyone experiences at using these, or other wooden props, for AP.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:39 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,751 Posts
Quote:
I would add to this that because DJI calls this their "Proffessional" control system you would likely get a much higher level of service from them. It probably uses higher quality components and has undergone more burn-in testing to prove it is worthy prior to testing as well. As TJ says it offers many more features as well however many of these features are available in other controllers for much less money (now) and as GW says there is a bit more technical knowledge needed. (I think that's what he said?!)

And, yes, Naza IS a bargain!
I always try to stay out of this debate, so to speak, but a complaint that I have expressed to DJI is that as this industry gets more users it becomes increasingly important that they sort out any issues with the NAZA like light sensitivity and inconsistencies with the manual that lead to prolonged aggravation.

I would buy a Wookong-M at tomorrow if I thought the customer support and quality of the product was dependable, but my experience with the NAZA actually discourages me from making the upgrade.

There are things that I really like about the NAZA but I don't trust it yet, so I certainly don't believe that the Wookong-M is more dependable and worth the additional expense. Unfortunately for DJI I think the NAZA is a great sales tool for the Hoverfly Pro.

Although I have a Hoverfly Pro I'm still holding out hope that DJI will get it together. Not that this opinion means much to them, the NAZA is a great value and I'm sure they're selling a ton of them.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:54 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
Im not interested in getting one but why is the wookong so much more expensive
Apart from the things already mentioned ... it supports a bigger range of frame type (octos etc.), you can manually edit the motor mixers IIRC, failsafe and battery protection are more sophisticated (you can have RTH on low voltage, set the return altitude), it handles loss of a motor with flat hexa and octo. Probably other stuff. The manual is on the DJI website.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:58 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Be careful with the props restrained and motors energized.
It only takes a few seconds to burn out an ESC or start a battery fire.
Agreed, fully, but I made the counts, and between few euros of hardware, and my health, or moreover my kids health (got 2 boys, they like to be around my toys when its live), it's an easy choice

About this Wookong, I don't know the specs inside, but hell it so looks like a Naza with a better software... same as most of electronics are today... same core, enhanced software, sell these few extras features 5 times more...
Or more likely, the other way, the Naza is a castrated Wookong.

As sample, the RTH mode, somewhere in Naza's code the value "20 meters" for "altitude climb in RTH" is written, same as in the Wookong. I mean, the altitude it climbs, the speed its going back home, how long it will wait, how fast it will land, etc, its already there, it's just about drawing the line who can change it or not...

Anyway, this Naza is definately a bargain :]
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 14, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,448 Posts
Props Off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
Agreed, fully, but I made the counts, and between few euros of hardware, and my health, or moreover my kids health (got 2 boys, they like to be around my toys when its live), it's an easy choice

About this Wookong, I don't know the specs inside, but hell it so looks like a Naza with a better software... same as most of electronics are today... same core, enhanced software, sell these few extras features 5 times more...
Or more likely, the other way, the Naza is a castrated Wookong.

As sample, the RTH mode, somewhere in Naza's code the value "20 meters" for "altitude climb in RTH" is written, same as in the Wookong. I mean, the altitude it climbs, the speed its going back home, how long it will wait, how fast it will land, etc, its already there, it's just about drawing the line who can change it or not...

Anyway, this Naza is definately a bargain :]
Just remove the props.
It's easy...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Just remove the props.
It's easy...
Unless you balance your motors dynamically (with props on).
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:46 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,448 Posts
Index The Prop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Unless you balance your motors dynamically (with props on).
I have my props numbered.
It would be a simple matter to mark the prop hub and the top of the motor in a manner to ensure things get back together as before.
Sort of like the tire guy does when he fixes a flat...

I presently have not gone to that degree of balancing, but might.
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:52 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Yeah but when the marker ink dies then my props will be out of balance! [/sarcasm]
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
About this Wookong, I don't know the specs inside, but hell it so looks like a Naza with a better software
Wookong hardware is different ... separate units for flight control and sensors (with Naza it's all in one box). GPS/compass unit looks similar but is not the same. Wookong only works down to -5C (-10C for Naza), but has slightly better position hold accuracy (both vertical & horizontal). Naza has a bigger tilt angle limit (45 degrees vs 35 for the Wookong).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Wookong hardware is different ... separate units for flight control and sensors (with Naza it's all in one box). GPS/compass unit looks similar but is not the same. Wookong only works down to -5C (-10C for Naza), but has slightly better position hold accuracy (both vertical & horizontal). Naza has a bigger tilt angle limit (45 degrees vs 35 for the Wookong).
[/brainexploding]
AARRGGHH! lol maybe buying a premade system thats been bound to a Tx would be best lol.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
So I have a question... is the spektum Tx and good? I see so many people using them and how awesome it is. Just wondering if I should upgrade and send my current Tx and Rx to my plane.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
I have a DX8 and AR8000 and have never had a problem
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
wasaga beach ont canada
Joined Jan 2004
343 Posts
kallend, the newer ( marked bat-data) spektrum ar7000 rxs have the preset failsafe option as well. these are now replaced with the ar7010 but the newer 7000s work fine. .might want to add those to your list...rob m
rmorhan is offline Find More Posts by rmorhan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:26 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Well I just got a email from Robert at UAV products my Naza was bad he put me a new one in the mail today good customer service makes this hobby much more enjoyable
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x