Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
I find it rather unseemly!
United States, IN, Earl Park
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida View Post
I had such a great weekend flying my WiteSpy!!! Thank you beautiful weather!!!
That's great to hear!
grizzledcamudgen is offline Find More Posts by grizzledcamudgen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:29 PM
I find it rather unseemly!
United States, IN, Earl Park
Joined Aug 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
You should probably specify which fc you are considering. Huge difference in setup difficulty between quadrino vs naza
Good point! I fly with the NAZA and haven't had any problems so far! It is super stable!! I'll fly it above my two story house and it will just sit there and barely even move without touching any controls! I love it and the Horyzon camera I'm using takes superb crystal clear video! I have both models of GoPro but see no need, right now, in adding either one!
grizzledcamudgen is offline Find More Posts by grizzledcamudgen
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2012
227 Posts
Deathspiral13,

I had just 3 weeks of experience with flying the Blade mQX before I got my Witespy Naza. So yes, someone with little experience can easily handle the Witespy. It is much easier to fly than the mQX. Just be SURE to always fly in ALI mode or GPS mode..... NEVER EVER NEVER the Manual mode. Ignore the macho talk from others that have the experience to handle Manual mode. For a beginner, the Manual mode is garunatee Crash mode. But with ALI or GPS mode, it is super easy. Just be careful because you can still crash it if you are not careful (wind blow it into a tree as an example).

I highly recommend getting the FPV option and the GPS (return to home) option. These are my insurance policies that has saves me many, many times. Don't fly it until you are very positive that you have Return Home working properly. Always have your goggles powered-up. Between those two insurance policies (fpv and Return Home) you should have a very pleasant experience (not crashing or have a fly-away) with the Witespy..... *** I HAVE HAD THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE WITH MY WITESPY *****

And a special thanks to Paul (Mr. Witespy) for providing us beginners with an option to purchase a ready-to-fly quad with such top-drawer components.
QUAD4EVER is offline Find More Posts by QUAD4EVER
Last edited by QUAD4EVER; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Thanks for all responses...

The NAZA sounds nice and I have definitely decided to get the GPS, but wow, the FPV feature is what, $700? I guess it would be good to see where it goes down if it does crash or flyaway, but that is a bit out of my budget and although I like watching the vids I don't often feel the need to record what Oscar Mayer looks like from above, lol. (Now if they had a kill floor that might be something different...just kidding!)

I like the homing feature, but would love to know when waypoint navigation will arrive, which I am assuming would locate my Quad also.

Also, Custom Rapid ESCs? Worth it, with or without NAZA?

DS13 Madison, Wi
Deathspiral13 is offline Find More Posts by Deathspiral13
Last edited by Deathspiral13; Oct 02, 2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: idiocy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post
*** I HAVE HAD THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE WITH MY WITESPY *****

And a special thanks to Paul (Mr. Witespy) for providing us beginners with an option to purchase a ready-to-fly quad with such top-drawer components.
I so agree with you comment..........well........some of the best times
AlanFlorida is online now Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:27 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Queenstown
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
DOH! The mail man came while I was at work and no one was home, have to wait until tomorrow to collect my Witespy!

After tomorrow I have 2 days off in a row though, so its perfect timing really. Stand by for a few silly questions and hopefully a very excited first flight report!
flatlandrobin is offline Find More Posts by flatlandrobin
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:04 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandrobin View Post
DOH! The mail man came while I was at work and no one was home, have to wait until tomorrow to collect my Witespy!

After tomorrow I have 2 days off in a row though, so its perfect timing really. Stand by for a few silly questions and hopefully a very excited first flight report!
Have a blast and welcome to the WiteSpy family!!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
I disagree with comments made to "Never" fly in manual...really?

So because it might actually take some skill and time to learn the correct control input and feel you should just over look it and rely solely on atti and gps to fly the machine?

cool, so much for being an accomplished pilot, more like an accomplished video gamer might be more like it.

get a sim and practice hovering, then do some outside circles in both directions, eventually going nose in...this basic instruction could save you as well when your compass/gps decides to sign off...
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
PS I too have a Witespy 450 with the Quadrino MultiWii board, its a pleasure to fly and works like a charm...looking to add the gps module soon, but for now flys great, PnP its a breeze

I highly recommend pushing your boundaries you have placed on your self, learning how to properly fly any kind of craft is one of the most rewarding skills to achieve. Simply pushing the heli around in auto for the sake of it will in time get dull

But hey do what you will.
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
Last edited by UAV.Pilot; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:05 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandrobin View Post

So……did you get your WiteSpy today???
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
I highly recommend pushing your boundaries you have placed on your self, learning how to properly fly any kind of craft is one of the most rewarding skills to achieve. Simply pushing the heli around in auto for the sake of it will in time get dull
But hey do what you will.
I totally agree with this comment.
I can fly anything. Stablized mode is there for tranning, not meant to be flown all the time. If you fly in auto mode then for me you shouldn't be doing more than a hover.
You can't fly, and to say you can. Your just really insulting me.
I have spent many hours of practice. Such as you should do.

Now there is reasons to fly in auto mode or anything else but manual.
Such as AP.
I don't want to come off as a nose stuck into the air, kind of guy!
But what happens if something goes wrong that I could recover you from?

(Meaning a person with some skills.)
Answer: you crash!
Even if you think you can fly in auto mode. ou really need to practice and learn.
Otherwise your wasting you own time.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,379 Posts
That was my personal opinion!
With no hate or love lost.
Other wise have fun the way you want.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
... "Never" fly in manual...really?
I'm into aerobatic flight (circles, loops, rolls, figure 8's, etc.). When flying my HT-450 Quadrino (w. GPS) I use the following settings:

I place the quad in a takeoff/home location. Plug in the battery with Autolevel/ACC ON (AUX1 LOW). This initializes the GPS to a home location. Then, after the GPS has its satellite locks, I turn autolevel/ACC OFF (AUX1 MID: stunt mode) and fly.

Note: I check satellite locking using MultiWii EZ-GUI (https://ibm.biz/BdxY2M) on my Droid 4.

If I get into minor trouble, I temporarily switch back to autolevel (ACC ON) and hopefully, get myself together.

If I get into serious trouble---for me this usually means flying so high and far away that I lose orientation---I switch GPS Home ON (AUX1 High). The quad then flies back to the field where I can see it well (it would land if I let it).
lmcwilli is offline Find More Posts by lmcwilli
Last edited by lmcwilli; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post
Just be SURE to always fly in ALI mode or GPS mode..... NEVER EVER NEVER the Manual mode if you are a beginner. For a beginner, the Manual mode is guarantee Crash mode.
Additions and highlights added to my previous post (see quote above). Some of you veteran quad pilots must have forgotten your early days. My point is to not use your Witespy as a trainer to fly Manual. Use a Blade mQX to learn with. Once the person can get accomplished with the mQX with never dropping it, then have a swing with Manual using the Witespy. But, it is no reason to beat-up your beautiful Witespy as a trainer.

The person that I was addressing stressed that he had just little prior multirotor experience.
Last edited by QUAD4EVER; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspiral13 View Post

The NAZA sounds nice and I have definitely decided to get the GPS, but wow, the FPV feature is what, $700?
The main thing is the Return To Home (RTH). Those far, the fpv has saved me just once. Whereas, the RTH has saved me several times due to flying beyond fpv range and having my goggles turn to a snowy white screen during flight (far from home).

The one time that the fpv saved me, where RTH could not, was while flying downwind during a very very windy day. The quad was nearly out of visual sight (LOS). The quad was becoming a speck in the sky so regaining orientation was not an option under the time constraints. I triggered RTH, but the wind was too strong for the RTH to overcome. RTH will only fly at approx 1/2 forward speed. After seeing that the wind was still carrying my quad away against the RTH, I quickly put on my fpv goggles that were sitting there on stand-by (insurance). I disengaged the RTH and took control of the quad again. Using the fpv, I was able to get orientation and apply full forward stick to overcome the head wind and safely landed at home. Without the fpv goggles on stand-by, I would probably lost my quad.

My point is to get at least GPS. From my experience, no fpv is required provided that you don't fly downwind on very windy days. I learned my lesson to fly only upwind on very windy days... even with fpv as a backup plan. I hate being on Plan C without a Plan D.