HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:03 AM
ohio
Joined Jul 2010
11 Posts
Discussion
what to buy next

o.k. guys:

I bought a radian (my first glider). I have been flying it a lot. I love this plane. It stays aloft from 10 to 45 minutes on just one power to altitude boost.

I already want to get another electric glider. I have been looking long and hard on the net for another one. what i'm looking for is a plane that is as good or better than the radian. I don't want to spend more than about $300 to $350 on one that is receiver ready. The cularis is really nice but by the time you get it in the air it's well over $400.

I need your advice on what plane might fill my wants and needs.

Thanks , Gary
goinghigh is offline Find More Posts by goinghigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:31 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
"Good or better" in what way, Gary? Thermalling ability, speed, ability to handle wind, what?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
ohio
Joined Jul 2010
11 Posts
thermal ability is important to me. I like to power it up high turn off the motor and see how long i can keep it up there. it would be nice if it could fly forward into a headwind a little better than the radian but i don't know if any rc glider can do that or not.

Gary
goinghigh is offline Find More Posts by goinghigh
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:51 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,286 Posts
Are you willing to do any of the building yourself? $300 ready to go might be difficult. But if you are on a tight budget you could probably get more bang for the buck if you are willing to do a little building yourself.

Check out the art hobby stuff for example.
http://arthobby.com/shop.html

I'm guessing you have checked out the usual suspects?
http://icare-rc.com/
http://www.espritmodel.com/
http://www.soaringusa.com/cart/cart.php

Even if you can't afford the models on these sites, are there any that catch you eye to give us an idea of what you are looking for?

Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:32 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinghigh View Post
it would be nice if it could fly forward into a headwind a little better than the radian but i don't know if any rc glider can do that or not.

Gary
The answer is an emphatic "yes"! A bit more weight (ballast) is the first step to achieving better penetration into wind. Too much, however, and you will come up against the inherent inefficiencies of a foam model (not so stiff, and not very accurate and smooth surfaces). Any other form of material other than foam (balsa, laminated foam, fibreglass) will improve the efficiency of the airframe. The ultimate is fully hollow-moulded competition gliders, they will shrug off howling gales, but they are relatively very expensive.

In your price range the ArtHobby planes are a good bet. There are various ARF gliders made of balsa/ply and covered with film stocked by the big mail order shops (Hobby Lobby and Tower Hobby, etc.) that should do well too.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
are ArtHobby planes arf or what.i always wanted to know.looks like they can be?if not how much build is there, lets say on there 2.?m to 3m gliders?what needs to still be done in order to start putting the guts in?are they worth the money?
andrewfl is offline Find More Posts by andrewfl
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:20 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,286 Posts
They are far from ARF in my mind. As you can see if you check out the instructions for the Evolution ( http://www.arthobby.com/pdf/evolution_ev.pdf ) there is still a bit to do. Just highlight a model you are interested in and on some of them you'll see a little pdf option amoung the little boxes. Click on it and you'll find the instructions.
I certainly wouldn't call them ARF but then again the arthobby planes allow you to have a great plane for a lot less the cost of a more pre-fab ARF model.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:26 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
698 Posts
Andrew,

I fly four AH planes. They are considered ARF with about 80% completed by the factory. That said, the 20% that is up to you could be daunting if you don't have a fair amount of building experience. Just to mention a few things...you will be cutting and fitting a firewall, cutting out ailerons and servo bays and joining the main or root sections of the wing together. Experience with glass here is a definite plus.

Some personal opinions...

Excellent quality and very good flyers. My oldest AH plane has five seasons on it and I'm still not tired of it and I fly a lot!. It's my smallest ship at 1.7m.

All my planes flew with only very minor trim and CG adjustments since their maiden flights.

I have found that although they each have slightly different "feel" in the air, they thermal very well with excellent penetration.

I have done some repairs and you will find that parts are readily available as well as advice on selecting and building the planes. Andre at AH is one of the best I've dealt with for customer support and advice.

Worth the money? My experience says yes. Hope this information helps.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:34 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
thanks guys,i was always curious on how much build was needed for arthobby gliders.now i have a good idea on what they need as far as build.like i said earlier, more stuff to buy!!!this has to be an addiction,or am i normal.answer me that?? and that is a real question?no joke....one more ? do all there birds need flaps and aiolorons cut out or can i buy wing sets with that work done.
Last edited by andrewfl; Jul 30, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
698 Posts
Andrew,

Nope...you'll have to cut the ailerons and flaps on your own. Actually, that is a pretty easy step. Just need a good metal straightedge, sharp blades, and some patience.

For me, the toughest thing is cuttting, shaping, and placement of the firewall. A bit tedious and demands close attention. The other steps also require attention but are pretty straightforward.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:52 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfl View Post
thanks guys,i was always curious on how much build was needed for arthobby gliders.now i have a good idea on what they need as far as build.like i said earlier, more stuff to buy!!!this has to be an addiction,or am i normal.answer me that?? and that is a real question?no joke....one more ? do all there birds need flaps and aiolorons cut out or can i buy wing sets with that work done.
You are normal & yes this is an addiction! As far as I know all Art Hobby planes need flaps and ailerons cut. I do know other mfg's have them precut and hinged.

Jim
BigJimmy is offline Find More Posts by BigJimmy
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
thanks for confirming that this addiction is normal(i feel better),some days i cant get off the computer just reading and shopping for who knows what.also what are the other mfg's that have them cut and hinged??..bigjimmy??
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:27 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
I have an AH Castor. For me, that attraction on AH ships is the bueaty of the wood. They are works of art. It helps if you have a few builds under your belt. But the bueaty of the planes is amazing.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,389 Posts
if you don't want to cut ailerons, and flaps, and like a built up wing, the Pulsar series are easy to set up, and amazing flyers. Here is one that I own, and fly.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=6737
And yes, it climbs vertically. Watch the video at this site

It is a great high altitude flyer. With the stability of the Polygonal wing, I can fly it far away where it is just a speck. A few blips of a stick, and it tracks back to me straight as an arrow. Very floaty, very low power off sink rate.

Wings are pre-covered, ailerons /flaps complete with kevlar hinges. In the Poly Pulsar case, just install three servos. Two tiny D-47s in the Vtail, and one HS65MG for the flap.
Basic motor mount is already installed, in nose cone. I just epoxied the hacker mount (that comes with the B-20-15L I use) to the factory mount, then wire up a PHX 25, your rx and you are in business.
It floats like crazy, here is a log from a flight yesterday.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:34 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfl View Post
thanks for confirming that this addiction is normal(i feel better),some days i cant get off the computer just reading and shopping for who knows what.also what are the other mfg's that have them cut and hinged??..bigjimmy??
LOL! Check out soaringusa.com, Northeast Sailplanes, hobby club...it goes on.

I am a proud plane-aholic and have no plans to change! I think my work would appreciate me more if I did don't suffer from this addiction. I surf the web instead of music when I am thinking about designing equipment. 18 1/2 years doing machine design. (Geeks are good!)
BigJimmy is offline Find More Posts by BigJimmy